Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3500 Year Old Abraham Autograph

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith & a LITERAL 3500 Year Old Abraham Autograph

Post by _I have a question »

zerinus wrote:
Shulem wrote:Actually, you quoted what Joseph Smith said who was pretending to speak for god. You sidestepped the "The" in effort to justify your own error. You do not represent the church properly if you fail to capitalize The in the name of the church. Period.

If you don't agree, take it up with the General Authorities. Next time you're at the pulpit be sure to tell the members that you are smarter then them.
Since I and the rest of the Church, including General Authorities, believe that the D&C is the word of God—and you don’t—that issue will not arise.

Err sorry, but you do not know what the General Authorities or other active or inactive members of the Church personally believe about the D&C. You only speak for you.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Shulem wrote:Tell me the name of the king written in the writing of Facsimile No. 3 and I'll concede and shut up.

Can you do that? Will you do that?
See my previous post.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

zerinus wrote:I don’t need to know Egyptology to know that the book of Abraham is the word of God; any more than I need to know Hebrew to know that the Bible is the word of God.

Tell me the name of the king written in the writing of Facsimile No. 3 and I'll concede and shut up.

Can you do that? Will you do that?
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

I have a question wrote:Err sorry, but you do not know what the General Authorities or other active or inactive members of the Church personally believe about the D&C. You only speak for you.
I am not in individual people's minds, that is true; but as a general observation, that is a true statement—otherwise they wouldn’t be Mormons.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

zerinus wrote:
I have a question wrote:Err sorry, but you do not know what the General Authorities or other active or inactive members of the Church personally believe about the D&C. You only speak for you.
I am not in individual people's minds, that is true; but as a general observation, that is a true statement—otherwise they wouldn’t be Mormons.

No, it's not a true statement. It's an assumption that all Mormons think the D&C is the word of God.
You have no basis for making that assumption because Mormons are very individual in what they accept and reject about Mormonism. Some accept it all, but most members that I know reject some aspect or other of the religion.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

It’s time to use a more reliable method, one which controls our bias and helps determine probability not plausibility. I think Bayes Theorem inference thinking is that method.

This becomes a problem for the faithful Mormon because they are generally taught by the leaders to not question their faith. You know, the ole adage, "doubt your doubts". How can faithful Mormons who subject themselves to absolute obedience to their church effectively apply Bayes Theorem? Doesn't this put them in a position of not doubting their doubt?
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

Shulem wrote:This becomes a problem for the faithful Mormon because they are generally taught by the leaders to not question their faith. You know, the ole adage, "doubt your doubts". How can faithful Mormons who subject themselves to absolute obedience to their church effectively apply Bayes Theorem? Doesn't this put them in a position of not doubting their doubt?
You should know better than that. We determine the truth of revelation by the testimony of the Holy Ghost, not by some other means.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

I have a question wrote:No, it's not a true statement. It's an assumption that all Mormons think the D&C is the word of God. You have no basis for making that assumption because Mormons are very individual in what they accept and reject about Mormonism. Some accept it all, but most members that I know reject some aspect or other of the religion.
Already answered.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

zerinus wrote:
I have a question wrote:No, it's not a true statement. It's an assumption that all Mormons think the D&C is the word of God. You have no basis for making that assumption because Mormons are very individual in what they accept and reject about Mormonism. Some accept it all, but most members that I know reject some aspect or other of the religion.
Already answered.

I wasn't asking you a question. The clue was the absence of a question mark.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Shulem manhandles Zerinus with actual knowledge. Showing us all how it's done.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."