Magical Relics of the Patriarchal Order?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Magical Relics of the Patriarchal Order?

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Very interesting stuff Reverend, thanks for sharing.

I wonder how LDS restorationist can justify the fact that an office established more than a year before the 12 apostles were called, an office that Joseph Smith said would always exist "whenever the Church of Christ is established on the earth", an office BY said was "necessary to keep up a full organization of the Church through all time", an office established in scripture as equal to that of the prophet; no longer exist?

If today's church truly represents the ancient order of things why isn't there a Presiding Patriarch?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

This looks like a rich vein of neglected history to mine....Go, Kish!
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Fence Sitter wrote:I wonder how LDS restorationist can justify the fact that an office established more than a year before the 12 apostles were called, an office that Joseph Smith said would always exist "whenever the Church of Christ is established on the earth", an office BY said was "necessary to keep up a full organization of the Church through all time", an office established in scripture as equal to that of the prophet; no longer exist?

If today's church truly represents the ancient order of things why isn't there a Presiding Patriarch?

Yes, the answer is pretty self-evident, isn't it?

The patriarchy is absolutely crucial to the ancient order as revealed to Joseph Smith, Jr. Really, without the patriarchy, the rest is fairly pointless.

Consider this:

The Gospel that Joseph Smith received was a Josephite Gospel, in many respects. In three different ways, Joseph Smith restored scripture of Joseph:

1) The Book of Mormon, which cites Joseph of Egypt's own record.
2) The Inspired Version of the Bible, which expands the blessing of Joseph.
3) The Book of Abraham, which is most likely an excerpt from the Record of Joseph.

The reason Joseph Smith was revealing these things was in no small part due to the fact that he believed himself to be a descendant of Joseph, restoring a purer, Josephite Gospel.

Part of that restoration was the return of Joseph to his proper place in the Kingdom of Israel. In this, he was repairing the damage that was done when Northern Israel was taken into captivity.

The Josephite Patriarchy is at the heart of that Josephite Restoration. The end of that patriarchy is a hollowing out of the core of the Restoration itself.

Why was Brigham so adamant about maintaining the position of the patriarch?

1) He knew what Joseph Smith, Jr. had said about its importance.
2) He felt concerned about the loss of the fullness of the priesthood, as we have explored in other threads.

The second part is not to be underestimated here. It seems pretty clear to me that Brigham Young felt he was the best person in a position to stand in Joseph's place, or act on Joseph's post-mortal behalf, in ensuring the continuance of the fullness of the priesthood. But all of this had not been clearcut. It was not authorized by revelation. It was the best that could be done in a catastrophic situation. And it was clear to Brigham, even years later, that the Smith family had a special, even indispensable role to play in the Church.

So, what to do? Well, you had better make sure that you keep a Smith as Church Patriarch. Brigham was adamant on this point. The position was crucial to the full organization of the LDS Church, even though he also knew that it was a potential site of conflict, since it represented a superior claim to leadership to his own. Nevertheless, he would not trust anyone who was not fully on board with the fullness of the priesthood, including polygamy.

He might agree that Joseph Smith III had the right to be a leader in the Church. He did not deny the facts of Joseph Smith, Jr.'s revelations and appointments. He took them seriously. But he also knew that the substance of Joseph Smith's fullness of the priesthood would be in peril if someone who did not respect it were to be in a position to compromise it.

If only the Church could have a Smith Patriarch, then at least the right of the Smiths and the Josephite patriarchal chain would be preserved.

But now it is clearly broken. In 2013 it was broken for good. The ancient order is gone.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Young had lost so many of the Smiths that he had to conserve whatever Smith assets he had in some way. The Smith name still held great power with the Saints and represented the greatest threat to his authority. It seems to me that the powergrabs were done first and the theology was rewritten/edited to suit the new reality.

Excellent work and exposition. More, please.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:I wonder how LDS restorationist can justify the fact that an office established more than a year before the 12 apostles were called, an office that Joseph Smith said would always exist "whenever the Church of Christ is established on the earth", an office BY said was "necessary to keep up a full organization of the Church through all time", an office established in scripture as equal to that of the prophet; no longer exist?

Yes, the answer is pretty self-evident, isn't it?

The patriarchy is absolutely crucial to the ancient order as revealed to Joseph Smith, Jr. Really, without the patriarchy, the rest is fairly pointless.

It's an incestuous oligarchy cloaked in a religions front.
Whatever Joseph set up can be discounted as "further light and knowledge" as and when the dollars deem it necessary.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:It's an incestuous oligarchy cloaked in a religions front.

I love this description. And now I'm seeing it...and in so many places... :eek:

Mormonism is an enterprise dominated by a few somewhat ruthless families. Hmm...
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Kishkumen wrote:
The Gospel that Joseph Smith received was a Josephite Gospel, in many respects. In three different ways, Joseph Smith restored scripture of Joseph:

1) The Book of Mormon, which cites Joseph of Egypt's own record.
2) The Inspired Version of the Bible, which expands the blessing of Joseph.
3) The Book of Abraham, which is most likely an excerpt from the Record of Joseph.

The reason Joseph Smith was revealing these things was in no small part due to the fact that he believed himself to be a descendant of Joseph, restoring a purer, Josephite Gospel.

Part of that restoration was the return of Joseph to his proper place in the Kingdom of Israel. In this, he was repairing the damage that was done when Northern Israel was taken into captivity.

The Josephite Patriarchy is at the heart of that Josephite Restoration. The end of that patriarchy is a hollowing out of the core of the Restoration itself.

Don't forget the other scroll from the Egyptian artifacts, The Papyrus of Tshemmin, which Joseph Smith identified as the Book of Joseph. We can only imagine what Joseph Smith might have created in such a book had he lived longer. He might have very well definitively defined the place of the Smith family as divinely ordained heirs in perpetuity over God's one true church, his descendants to lead as prophets and Hyram's in a parallel role as Presiding Patriarchs.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Fence Sitter wrote:Don't forget the other scroll from the Egyptian artifacts, The Papyrus of Tshemmin, which Joseph Smith identified as the Book of Joseph. We can only imagine what Joseph Smith might have created in such a book had he lived longer. He might have very well definitively defined the place of the Smith family as divinely ordained heirs in perpetuity over God's one true church, his descendants to lead as prophets and Hyram's in a parallel role as Presiding Patriarchs.

Sounds like a likely scenario to me!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Fence Sitter wrote:Don't forget the other scroll from the Egyptian artifacts, The Papyrus of Tshemmin, which Joseph Smith identified as the Book of Joseph. We can only imagine what Joseph Smith might have created in such a book had he lived longer. He might have very well definitively defined the place of the Smith family as divinely ordained heirs in perpetuity over God's one true church, his descendants to lead as prophets and Hyram's in a parallel role as Presiding Patriarchs.

Linguistically, what does the Papyrus of Tshemmin translate to be?
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

sock puppet wrote:Linguistically, what does the Papyrus of Tshemmin translate to be?

It is another Book of the Dead, similar to the Hor scroll, a funerary document for the lady Ta-sherit-Min which dates to the second half of the Ptolemaic Period (Ca. 100 BC). Here are some quotes from Ritner's excellent treatise on the subject.

"O you who introduce excellent ba-spirits in the house of Osiris, may you introduce the ba-spirit of the Osiris Ta-sherit-Min born of Nes-Khonsu, the justified, together with you into the house of Osiris."

or

"Give your command to the crew of Re in the evening so that Osiris might live after death like Re, every day."

or

"May you be assigned at any time to act there, whether to cultivate fields or to convey sand from the west to the east. Behold: here I am, so you will say."

or a partial translation of the portions that Joseph Smith labeled "Valuable Discovery"

"May I go forth in justification against my enemies...As I have opened the earth, so I have traveled at his steps...May I eat with my mouth while I defecate with my hindquarters, because I am a god, [lord of the underworld...]"

Definitely the shtick of Joseph.