Magical Relics of the Patriarchal Order?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Magical Relics of the Patriarchal Order?

Post by _Kishkumen »

Eat and poop at the same time? That must be a god!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Fence Sitter wrote:
sock puppet wrote:Linguistically, what does the Papyrus of Tshemmin translate to be?

It is another Book of the Dead, similar to the Hor scroll, a funerary document for the lady Ta-sherit-Min which dates to the second half of the Ptolemaic Period (Ca. 100 BC). Here are some quotes from Ritner's excellent treatise on the subject.

"O you who introduce excellent ba-spirits in the house of Osiris, may you introduce the ba-spirit of the Osiris Ta-sherit-Min born of Nes-Khonsu, the justified, together with you into the house of Osiris."

or

"Give your command to the crew of Re in the evening so that Osiris might live after death like Re, every day."

or

"May you be assigned at any time to act there, whether to cultivate fields or to convey sand from the west to the east. Behold: here I am, so you will say."

or a partial translation of the portions that Joseph Smith labeled "Valuable Discovery"

"May I go forth in justification against my enemies...As I have opened the earth, so I have traveled at his steps...May I eat with my mouth while I defecate with my hindquarters, because I am a god, [lord of the underworld...]"

Definitely the shtick of Joseph.

Ha! Thanks for that information. A "valuable discovery"? Probably one of the hook point phrases JSjr had learned and used to his advantage from his looking-glass-for-hire days.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Oh man. "The shtick of Joseph". I've just found my favorite synonym for Mormonism. Downright inspired, FS. :lol:

Today is Crying Day. "Brothers and Sisters, I know this shtick is true." Sob! Sniff!
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Fence Sitter wrote:Don't forget the other scroll from the Egyptian artifacts, The Papyrus of Tshemmin, which Joseph Smith identified as the Book of Joseph. We can only imagine what Joseph Smith might have created in such a book had he lived longer. He might have very well definitively defined the place of the Smith family as divinely ordained heirs in perpetuity over God's one true church, his descendants to lead as prophets and Hyram's in a parallel role as Presiding Patriarchs.

Reading this gives me a strong vibe of Nephi's connection with his brother Jacob in the Book of Mormon.

The idea is that Nephi's descendants are supposed to be kings; and indeed the text states they were, though does not dwell on the idea.

But Jacob's line is the one that seems to carry on the bequeathing of the plates from one generation to another. Could those not have been considered the magical relics of an early Nephite patriarchal order?

Just wondering here. I know it doesn't fit into a cohesive timeline because the Book of Mormon came off the press in 1830 and would seemingly be too early for what Joseph Smith created years later.

Just noting for the record that there seems to be at least a precedent for this type of thing in the Book of Mormon.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)