Nephi, Not Moroni, You Idiot

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Nephi, Not Moroni, You Idiot

Post by _Kishkumen »

Yahoo Bot wrote:The Book of Mormon states that every Nephite king after Nephi will be called a "Nephi", like Pharaoh. Moroni bore that name.

So you would say that this is one of those "both and" situations in which Moroni identified himself as Nephi to Joseph Smith because he was the heir to the kingship?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Yahoo Bot wrote:The Book of Mormon states that every Nephite king after Nephi will be called a "Nephi", like Pharaoh. Moroni bore that name.

I might be wrong, but wasn't the last Nephite King, Mosiah 2.
Meaning Moroni wasn't a Nephite King and therefore wasn't referred to as a "Nephi"?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Kishkumen wrote: It was Joseph Smith, Jr., who said the angel was Nephi. Repeatedly. And he never changed his mind about that

I am not too sure about that, the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants “and with Moroni, whom I have sent unto you to reveal the Book of Mormon, containing the fulness of my everlasting gospel"
http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper- ... transcript
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Kishkumen wrote: It was Joseph Smith, Jr., who said the angel was Nephi. Repeatedly. And he never changed his mind about that

I am not too sure about that, the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants “and with Moroni, whom I have sent unto you to reveal the Book of Mormon, containing the fulness of my everlasting gospel"
http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper- ... transcript

I don't know that this means he changed his mind about it, DT. After all, he did continue to use the name Nephi for the messenger after 1835. That is, however, very interesting and it needs to be considered.

ETA:

OK. Now I think I see what you are saying. It could be that he first used the name Moroni and then later switched to Nephi. Ah!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

So a convenient source for the early sources that identify the messenger as Moroni are to be found at Mormon Think:

http://www.mormonthink.com/nephiweb.htm

Here is a sample:

In 1835, Oliver Cowdery identified the angel:

"... and I believe that the angel Moroni, whose words I have been rehearsing, who communicated the knowledge of the records of the Nephites, in this age ..." (Oliver Cowdery, Letter 6, Messenger and Advocate 1:112, April, 1835)

The 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants also identifies the angel:

"Behold this is wisdom in me: wherefore marvel not for the hour cometh that I will drink of the fruit of the vine with you on the earth, and with Moroni, whom I have sent unto you to reveal the Book of Mormon ..." (Doctrine and Covenants, 1835 edition, Section 50:2 (Section 27:5 in current edition))

Prior to the writing of the 1839 History, Joseph Smith himself identified the angel in print:

"How, and where did you obtain the Book of Mormon?

Answer. Moroni, the person who deposited the plates, from whence the Book of Mormon was translated, in a hill in Manchester, Ontario County, New York, being dead, and raised again therefrom, appeared unto me and told me where they were and gave me directions how to obtain them. I obtained them and the Urim and Thummim with them, by the means of which I translated the plates and thus came the Book of Mormon." (Elders Journal, 1, pp. 42-3, July 1838).

So, yes, it appears that there was some confusion. And it could be that DoubtingThomas is correct in thinking that the identity went Moroni>Nephi>Moroni.

The name Moroni even appears in the anti-Mormon Mormonism Unveiled from 1831!

The Lord told [Joseph] that the man he saw was MORONI, with the plates, and if he had given him the five coppers, he might have gotten the plates again.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Liars can't keep their stories straight. This is the obvious implication to yet another historical contoversy involving joseph smith. Too bad he didn't live long enough to be seriously questioned about the attempt on Gov. Boggs life. I would not be surprised if the conspiracy rumours turned out to be true.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

I have a question wrote:

I might be wrong, but wasn't the last Nephite King, Mosiah 2.
Meaning Moroni wasn't a Nephite King and therefore wasn't referred to as a "Nephi"?

The problem with that analysis is that the Book of Mormon comment about this naming convention would have been an editor's comment; i.e., Mormon's. He wouldn't have made the comment the way he did if the last king was Mosiah 2.

Similarly, there is name confusion in the printer's manuscript between "King Mosiah" (modern) and "King Benjamin" (printer's). Benjamin was the son of Mosiah(1) and the naming conventions of the Zedekiah period would have been to call Mosiah by the name of Ben-Benjamin. Or is it Ben-Mosiah. I can't keep it straight. Like a Tolstoy novel with names alternating between the patronymic and the Christian.

Or they could have been simple transcription errors.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

So, Bot, has anyone done a study of the Nephi dynasty?
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Kishkumen wrote:So, Bot, has anyone done a study of the Nephi dynasty?

http://www.legrandlbaker.org/2014/04/01 ... as-mormon/

This guy says that Mormon and Moroni were heirs to the royal dynasty.

I don't necessarily agree with this kind of tsxtual criticism.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Yahoo Bot wrote:http://www.legrandlbaker.org/2014/04/01 ... as-mormon/

This guy says that Mormon and Moroni were heirs to the royal dynasty.

I don't necessarily agree with this kind of tsxtual criticism.

That was very helpful. Thank you, Bot!