"When Mormons Aspired to Be a ?????White and Delightsome????? People

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

"When Mormons Aspired to Be a ‘White and Delightsome’ People

Post by _Xenophon »

An article in The Atlantic that I thought some here might enjoy. It is an interview with Max Perry Mueller who has a new book out: Race and the Making of the Mormon People.

Max Perry Mueller, a historian at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, argues that Mormonism is a quintessentially American religion. The Book of Mormon re-centers the story of Jesus on the Americas, and the faith, which was founded in the 19th century, also tells the story through a very American lens. Yet, while the story of race and the LDS Church is similar to other American experiences of race, it’s also distinctive, leaving Mormons to grapple with the legacy of racism and white supremacy in their own way.

I think many here will find his take on the Book of Mormon as a product 19th century American culture to be agreeable. I even appreciate that he acknowledges that the Book of Mormon isn't racist in the standard European vs African descent kind of way. But instead can be interpreted and morphed into that message.

Although he is quite blunt about the history (as he should be) he does have some positive things to say about what he says as potential for the church and a possible space for them to occupy in the future:

Green: In recent months, people have called on conservative white Christians to grapple with issues of race, in part in response to a perceived resurgence of white nationalists and alt-right groups. What role do you think Mormons should play in this grappling?

Mueller: I’ve been predicting that Mormons will occupy spaces abandoned by white evangelicals: spaces of patriotism, family values, and morality that, unfortunately, some white evangelicals [have abandoned] because they have thrown in their lot and reputation with Trump and his white-Christian-nationalist project in such large numbers.

There are more Mormons outside the U.S. than inside. It’s likely that there are more non-white Mormons than there are white Mormons in the global church. So the church has its own future. It’s no longer an American project. It’s a global and international project. In the face of a U.S. political regime that puts white people and America first, a church that has a global identity has to reject that.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens