DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Dr Moore »

Think about the rationalization that culminates in a statement like “overwhelmingly, I do”. That also means, “sometimes, I don’t.”

What does such a process look like, sometimes? Some elements must be involved.

An idea forms, or is stumbled upon
A blog post is started
A declaration is made, such as “my ongoing commentary”
A web search is performed
A selection of someone else’s words is copied and pasted
A word replacement is performed, rounding the corners to Petersonize the sentences
No care is taken to credit the borrowed words
The post is “published” with a button click

This isn’t absent mindedness about note taking. It is a deliberate avoidance of responsibility for academic honesty. Give me a break. Dan keeps digging himself deeper and deeper with the lame rationalizations.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I speculated in a thread last year that DCP was being urged to retire by people in his home department. Now, he's got the "Continuing Status" thing at BYU, meaning that it is going to be both painful and difficult to kick him out, provided that that's the consensus of the Powers That Be. I bet that there are boatloads of people who wish to hell that he'd just take a hike: people in his home department; people in the Dean's office of his college; people in the Office of the President; people in the COB. But, hey: he likes collecting his salary and spending it on rich-tasting foods, and long vacations spanning the globe. So, for the pay, he's willing to put up with the fact that just about all of his colleagues hate his guts--after all, why should he care: look how many views his blog gets!

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that there are plenty of people at BYU who are very aware of this thread, and I'd also be willing to bet that DCP knows that they know, and that that is part of the reason why he keeps doing it: "I'm collecting my goddamn pay. I dare you to go ahead and try to stop me!"
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:10 am
Think about the rationalization that culminates in a statement like “overwhelmingly, I do”. That also means, “sometimes, I don’t.”

What does such a process look like, sometimes? Some elements must be involved.

An idea forms, or is stumbled upon
A blog post is started
A declaration is made, such as “my ongoing commentary”
A web search is performed
A selection of someone else’s words is copied and pasted
A word replacement is performed, rounding the corners to Petersonize the sentences
No care is taken to credit the borrowed words
The post is “published” with a button click

This isn’t absent mindedness about note taking. It is a deliberate avoidance of responsibility for academic honesty. Give me a break. Dan keeps digging himself deeper and deeper with the lame rationalizations.
I agree that he is going for the absent minded professor defense and hence the use of the word "overwhelming" makes sense here. I don't think it is that hard to attribute sources when known and there are easy plagiarism checks on the internet to review work. So, there is no reason to not be 100% in compliance, if not at least 95% if one allows for some innocent error. He has been caught so many times that I wonder if it is just a case of not wanting to put in the effort necessary to check and then attribute sources? That takes time and perhaps only two or maybe one post could be done per day and not three or four or five. Then there is perhaps the desire to be seen as a polymath among his groupies that defend him to no end. So why not cut a few corners? It is just a blog and not an academic journal or book he is going to publish. Also, we aren't much of a threat over her and this only gives him fuel to play the victim card once again.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:18 am
I speculated in a thread last year that DCP was being urged to retire by people in his home department. Now, he's got the "Continuing Status" thing at BYU, meaning that it is going to be both painful and difficult to kick him out, provided that that's the consensus of the Powers That Be. I bet that there are boatloads of people who wish to hell that he'd just take a hike: people in his home department; people in the Dean's office of his college; people in the Office of the President; people in the COB. But, hey: he likes collecting his salary and spending it on rich-tasting foods, and long vacations spanning the globe. So, for the pay, he's willing to put up with the fact that just about all of his colleagues hate his guts--after all, why should he care: look how many views his blog gets!

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that there are plenty of people at BYU who are very aware of this thread, and I'd also be willing to bet that DCP knows that they know, and that that is part of the reason why he keeps doing it: "I'm collecting my goddamn pay. I dare you to go ahead and try to stop me!"
Is "continuing status" the BYU form of academic tenure?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Peterson:

In many cases, I simply don't agree that what has been "discovered" amounts to plagiarism. When I'm merely taking and sharing notes from a book or an article, and they're identified as notes from such and such a book or article, I don't think it especially troublesome -- especially in an ephemeral medium like a blog -- if some of the notes are close paraphrases of their identified source.
The St. Martin’s Guide to Writing disagrees.

It is important to not only cite the source, but also to restate the author’s description in your own words.

Too closely imitating the author’s language structure in your summary or paraphrase is a form of plagiarism, even if you provide a citation, because it gives the false impression that the words are your own when they are not.

This includes rearranging the author’s sentences but using mostly the same wording, or simply inserting synonyms into the author’s sentence arrangement.

To avoid doing this, make sure you are processing the author’s ideas and then presenting them in a way that is uniquely yours. Too closely mirroring the author’s syntax and word choice not only shows disregard for properly crediting the author, but does not give your own voice a chance to shine.

https://davidson.libguides.com/c.php?g=349327&p=2361767
[bolding added.]
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kiwi57 Dr. Exiled • 11 hours ago • edited
Darn. I was going to point out that Exiled's fellow haters merely drew a bull's-eye around anything Dan wrote that wasn't footnoted, and howled about "plagiarism."

But Dan has edited out his libel, so I suppose I'd better not.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... oices.html
Kiwi apparently has not read this thread, where every case of plagiarism noted is documented.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:41 pm
Oh, wow. He's making what I'm almost certain is a false accusation in an attempt to doxx someone.
An update, of sorts:

Kiwi57 DanielPeterson • 12 hours ago

I noticed that you altered your Postscript to remove the name of the lead heel-biter in that rather ignoble endeavour. Did that person actually object to you naming her, after she attacked you directly by name?

___
DanielPeterson Mod Kiwi57 • 10 hours ago

She claimed, perhaps accurately, that the identification was inaccurate. Since it came from "Smokey," that may well be true -- although his identifications were accurate in the cases where I knew them already.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Poor ole Dr. Duplicate Copy Pasterson, you can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

I now have 10 single-spaced pages in a Word file. It contains side-by-side columns, showing plagiarized text segments from multiple Interpreter articles dating back to 2012, authored by Daniel C. Peterson.

This includes:
* Unattributed, self-plagiarized articles from older Deseret News columns (slightly altered, mostly word-for-word, some up to 7 years after first print)
* Unattributed, self-plagiarized FARMS article, presented and then printed as if original work, 2 years after first print
* Examples of unattributed, stolen sentences and paragraphs from places such as etymonline.com and wikipedia.com

I can only imagine what might happen if this appalling pattern of academic dishonesty were perpetrated by another BYU professor who wasn't being paid to spend the majority of every working day engaged in the dirty work of Mopologetics. It must be good to have the brethren at one's back, but I doubt any of them are aware of the taint being leaked onto BYU and its valuable degree programs.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:58 am
Yeah, so a non admission it is. “I don’t plagiarize almost all of the time, so leave me alone when I do!”

I wonder if he is as lenient in plagiarism standards when grading student papers.
His entire method of teaching has probably evolved to telling them Google it. Everything is on Google and already done.....after all, that's what real scholars like lil ole me do. And it'll make you look almost as intelligent and well read as myself.