DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:50 pm

I put up my post 50 minutes ago. If my calculation of the time differences is correct, DCP wrote that excuse/paragraph and added it to his blog entry about 25 minutes after I posted.
Bravo, Marcus!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
That was quick. The first paragraph below was just inserted at the beginning of Peterson's plagiarized blog entry:
Some Notes On “Fine-Tuning” And The Multiverse
LAST UPDATED ON: MARCH 13, 2024 AT 1:27 PM
MARCH 12, 2024 BY DAN PETERSON
5 COMMENTS

The following is basically a close paraphrase (for my note-taking purposes) of “A Beginner’s Guide to the ‘Fine-Tuning’ Argument” by Max Baker-Hytch of the University of Oxford. As always with such notes, I make no claim of originality for what follows but share them because, while I’m taking notes for my own eventual use elsewhere, I think others might find them of potential interest. I do not claim entries on this blog as publications of mine:

Over the past few decades — I, at least, certainly didn’t notice such claims when I was in high school....
I put up my post 50 minutes ago. If my calculation of the time differences is correct, DCP wrote that excuse/paragraph and added it to his blog entry about 25 minutes after I posted.
Once again, I find it utterly astonishing he just doesn't do this up front. Is it a travesty and a shame to actually list your sources or something?! I seriously do not get why Peterson insists on plagiarizing all the time with every thing involved, whether entire paragraphs, order of subjects, etc. Is he allergic to footnotes and listing sources or something? Have the brethren threatened his membership if he so much as intimates anything like scholarship anymore? It is fascinating to see his clumsiness in all these regards. Goddamn Dan, seriously?! You didn't do this as editor of the FARMS Review, why now?!? It's patently idiotic of you. And its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to see you continuing to do it over and over. Don't you honestly get it???
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Marcus wrote:
That was quick. The first paragraph below was just inserted at the beginning of Peterson's plagiarized blog entry:
LAST UPDATED ON: MARCH 13, 2024 AT 1:27 PM
5 COMMENTS

The following is basically a close paraphrase (for my note-taking purposes) of “A Beginner’s Guide to the ‘Fine-Tuning’ Argument” by Max Baker-Hytch of the University of Oxford. As always with such notes, I make no claim of originality for what follows but share them because, while I’m taking notes for my own eventual use elsewhere, I think others might find them of potential interest. I do not claim entries on this blog as publications of mine:

Over the past few decades — I, at least, certainly didn’t notice such claims when I was in high school....
Basically a close paraphrase? A close paraphrase doesn’t contain entire phrases and full sentences copied from the original. Did he miss paraphrasing exercises in high school?

I noticed that the Proprietor has edited his explanation to describe his post as “basically a close paraphrase or a gloss” (emphasis added). A gloss?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:00 pm
In 2020, Max Baker-Hytch published a piece in Solas Articles, titled
A Beginner’s Guide to the Fine-Tuning Argument.

Here's the full reference:
A Beginner’s Guide to the Fine-Tuning Argument
Author Max Baker-Hytch Date Published 24th February 2020
https://www.solas-cpc.org/a-beginners-g ... -argument/

Max's first paragraph seems familiar...
MB-H wrote: In the past few decades a broad consensus has emerged among physicists that a number of aspects of the physical cosmos appear to be ‘fine-tuned’ for life, which is to say, various aspects of its basic structure and of the fundamental laws that govern it are balanced on a knife-edge. If any of them had differed by only a very tiny amount, the universe would not have been capable of supporting life at all. Some of these ‘fine-tuned’ features of the universe are such that had they differed only very slightly, the universe would not even have contained galaxies and stars, let alone complex conscious creatures like ourselves
Which could be because Peterson published a very similar piece on March 12, 2024. (And by very similar I mean virtually word for word, with identical ideas, thought development and references.)

Peterson's blog entry:

LAST UPDATED ON: MARCH 12, 2024 AT 10:46 PM
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... verse.html

DCP's first paragraph is compared to MB-H, with his words and phrases in blue...

I am relatively new here. Is he aware of these connections? If so how does he reconcile this with scholarship? Is he operating on a different paradigm when blogging? Does he think it fools people? I don't get the motivation.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

_Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:05 pm
If any of the academics want to pull his dissertation and shoot it to me I'll give it a hard look for any instances of plagiarism. Your anonymity is, of course, sacrosanct.
LD791.9.N3 P442
Peterson, Daniel Carl, 1953-
Cosmogony and the ten separated intellects in the Rāḥat al-ʻAql of Ḥamīd al-Dīn al-Kirmānī / by Daniel Carl Peterson.
- Doc
My offer is still on the table, by the way.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It kind of undermines Daniel’s constant whinging about being stalked when no one cares enough to go to the library and pull his dissertation.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:24 pm
Goddamn Dan, seriously?! You didn't do this as editor of the FARMS Review, why now?!? It's patently idiotic of you. And its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to see you continuing to do it over and over. Don't you honestly get it???
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:44 pm
What a fine job you did, Marcus. Perfectly structured. DCP is a plagiarist and a fraud.

- Doc
Thank you!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:40 pm
Marcus wrote:

Bravo, Marcus!
Thanks, drumdude. :D
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Tom wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:11 am
Marcus wrote:

Basically a close paraphrase? A close paraphrase doesn’t contain entire phrases and full sentences copied from the original. Did he miss paraphrasing exercises in high school?

I noticed that the Proprietor has edited his explanation to describe his post as “basically a close paraphrase or a gloss” (emphasis added). A gloss?
Yes, i saw that. To 'gloss' can be used as a term to mean 'annotate,' but as you clearly pointed out, his misuse of other people's intellectual property is well beyond that.