DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _I have a question »

Makes one wonder why the book is taking so long to produce if it’s simply a copy and paste exercise...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:Makes one wonder why the book is taking so long to produce if it’s simply a copy and paste exercise...

it's funny you should say that...if I remember correctly, the last time he referred to it --which he notes is now a planned SIX volumes-- he just listed a handful of quotes!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Holy. Shnikes. Deja effing vu.

- Doc

Bot's sanctimonious pseudo-authoritative judgments on plagiarism are always entertaining.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Without comment, Peterson has now added this sentence to the end of his essay.
(Drawn, in part, from Dean Radin, Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality [New York: Paraview/Pocket Books, 2006], 72-76].)

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... Q1aTeUt.99

Here is the web cache of his original version, without the sentence explaining who he was plagiarizing:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Funny, if a student plagiarizes at my school, the solution is NOT to allow them to still turn in the exact same paper, and just add a sentence at the end stating from where they plagiarized the material. Professor Peterson must follow a different code of conduct.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I guess he still reads this board. :rolleyes:

eta: I wonder how many of his online contributions will suddenly start getting attributions.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I guess he still reads this board. :rolleyes:

- Doc

And he cheats until he's caught. Doesn't the BYU Honor Code apply to Professors as well? I know his blog is not a byu blog, but doesn't the Honor Code hold at all times, everywhere?

If the outside-appointed ROTC rep is violating the Honor Code if he drinks coffee inside his private residence, off BYU campus, when he is off-duty, then I fail to see how Peterson's plagiarism in his blog isn't also an Honor Code violation.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

This kind of thing is a huge black eye for an academic institution. I wonder if their tolerance for plagiarism came out if it'd cause an accreditation problem? I have no idea how these things work in academia.

I can tell you what would happen in an Army schoolhouse, though.

The student would be kicked out of the course immediately. He would most likely face UCMJ punishment if he were operationally controlled by the institution and he would be re-classed into a military occupational specialty at the needs of the Army. Or he would just be kicked out of the Army. They really don't eff around with that sort of thing.

Cheating is literally a crime in the Army.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

In theory, BYU takes plagiarism seriously. Here is their definition:
Intentional plagiarism:

Intentional plagiarism is the deliberate act of representing the words, ideas, or data Of another as one's own without providing proper attribution to author through quotation, reference, or footnote.

And examples along the spectrum:
Examples Of plagiarism include:

Direct Plagiarism The verbatim copying Of an original source
without acknowledging source.

Paraphrased Plagiarism The paraphrasing, without
acknowledgment, Of ideas from another that the reader might
mistake for your own.

Plagiarism Mosaic The borrowing Of words, ideas, or data
from an original source and blending this original material
with one's own without acknowledging source.

And in case DCP argues his blog doesn't count, the BYU definition is pretty inclusive:
Plagiarism may occur with respect to unpublished as well as
published material.

And the part Professor Peterson seems to have missed:
Faculty Academic Integrity:

The substantive standards Of academic honesty stated in this
policy apply a fortiori to faculty. Indeed, all members Of the BYU
community are expected to act according to the highest principles
Of academic integrity.

All BYU quotes are from CES Honor Code: https://registrar.byu.edu/catalog/archi ... orCode.pdf
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Ha. You gave proper attribution regarding proper attribution.

- Doc

_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

DCP has tried hard to wear the academic hats of a variety of fields in his online commentary, in FARMS, in the Deseret News, through the Interpeter, etc.

Politics, science, religion, religion again, history, Mormon history, Islam, Shakespeare, Hawaiian beaches, yummy foods in Europe, Latin, academic French, science once again, Mopologetics, some more politics, tour-guiding through Israel, William F. Buckley, and a slew of other subjects...

It must get hard for him to maintain the impression that he is an expert or well-versed (at least relative to us regulars) in his commentaries if he doesn't borrow from other experts from time-to-time.

In areas where DCP has genuine academic expertise, such as Arab history and Middle Eastern matters, I have often enjoyed his writing.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.