DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Ha. You gave proper attribution regarding proper attribution.

- Doc

:lol:

Maybe DCP is learning from us--I notice he has several posts today, chock-full of quotation marks, full references, even different colors for excerpts! Either that or he's trying to bury his plagiarism under a flurry of new random posts.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

Lemmie wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Yahoo Bot, you have a very unique and disturbingly casual definition of plagiarism. The comment about conforming quotes was odd, as Peterson acknowledged no quotes at all of Radin in the part of his work I posted. Kind of the point when plagiarizing, right?

Your four strings just aren't in the work cited. There's words omitted, inserted, etc. Punctuation different. They are not the same. It is more like "fair use." "Fair use" does not require attribution.

Of course, what is plagiarism in the academic context is completely different than a copyright violation. I try cases in the latter realm and publish papers in the former realm. I've had one of my published pieces quoted extensively in a law journal without attribution. There's software to detect academic plagiarism and I don't ever use it. So, it isn't really cut and dried.

It would also seem that a blog post where there is no commercial remuneration is not going to be important to anybody.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Yahoo Bot wrote:Your four strings just aren't in the work cited. There's words omitted, inserted, etc. Punctuation different. They are not the same. It is more like "fair use." "Fair use" does not require attribution.

Of course, what is plagiarism in the academic context is completely different than a copyright violation. I try cases in the latter realm and publish papers in the former realm. I've had one of my published pieces quoted extensively in a law journal without attribution. There's software to detect academic plagiarism and I don't ever use it. So, it isn't really cut and dried.

It would also seem that a blog post where there is no commercial remuneration is not going to be important to anybody.

Your points are incorrect; the one in the first paragraph I've already addressed, but BYU's Honor Code goes into it further. I posted relevant parts in a previous post.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

And so I should care about BYU's Honor Code, and why? You thwack somebody over the head with a set of standards you consider bogus? Why?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Yahoo Bot wrote:And so I should care about BYU's Honor Code, and why? You thwack somebody over the head with a set of standards you consider bogus? Why?

:lol: :lol: I was unaware you felt thwacked by my posts, I would suggest reading from a greater distance so as to keep your head out of reach.

As to the question in your post, perhaps you are unaware that Peterson teaches at BYU.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

10,000 comedians out of work and Bot's trying to be funny. :rolleyes:
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Tator wrote:10,000 comedians out of work and Bot's trying to be funny. :rolleyes:

Tator! you are plagiarizing....um..yourself! From the 2/2016 thread about DCP plagiarizing:
Tator wrote:Philo, Philo, Philo there are over 10 thousand comedians out of work and here you go trying to be funny again. :biggrin:
I suspect you knew that, however, you sly spud. :cool:

I noticed Tator's quote because I was reading some past threads to try to figure out why Yahoo Bot is running interference for DCP in this matter.

in Feb 2016, DCP was caught doing the same thing he did yesterday, by Tom.
Compare the following passage in Daniel Peterson's introduction to the latest issue of Interpreter with material contained in an online article titled "How Big is the Sun?"
Here is Tom, later in the thread, quoting DCP's excuse, and then summing up the issue:

Tom wrote:Peterson comments:
DCP wrote:The irritating thing here, to me, is that there's nothing particularly memorable or significant about Tim Sharp's specific phrasing in this passage. I just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of places, online and elsewhere. His article simply came up first when I Googled something like "How large is the Sun?"

If, as he claims, Peterson "just wanted the numbers, which are available at literally hundreds of places, online and elsewhere," why did he copy the particular phrasing and reference in Sharp's sentence?

Sharp: "The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook 'Planetary Sciences,' to refer to the solar system as 'the sun plus some debris.'"

Peterson: "The sun contains 99.8 percent of the mass of the entire solar system, leading astronomers Imke de Pater and Jack J. Lissauer, authors of the textbook Fundamental Planetary Sciences [sic], to refer to the solar system as merely 'the sun plus some debris.'"
viewtopic.php?p=956375#p956375
[emphasis added]

tom only commented on a single phrase of Peterson's dishonesty, for the full monte plagiarism see the thread:

Questions re Peterson, "Cloud Illusions and the Perfect Day"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41214

Joking aside, as a University Professor myself, I find Peterson's ongoing pattern of plagiarism to be quite bizarre. The level of dishonesty that must be inherent in a professor to engage in and publish his plagiarism, over and over and over, even after being caught multiple times, is disturbing.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Lemmie I think you have proven yourself the sly one. Good catch on me. About 35 years ago I got into a part time gig of stand up comedy. Sometimes some of my old one liners just show up, no hat, no seer stone, no magic eight ball just bingo and they show up.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tator wrote:Lemmie I think you have proven yourself the sly one. Good catch on me. About 35 years ago I got into a part time gig of stand up comedy. Sometimes some of my old one liners just show up, no hat, no seer stone, no magic eight ball just bingo and they show up.

Here's a one-liner I like to use once in a while:

10,000 unemployed comedians and Tator is trying to be funny!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Tator wrote:Lemmie I think you have proven yourself the sly one. Good catch on me. About 35 years ago I got into a part time gig of stand up comedy. Sometimes some of my old one liners just show up, no hat, no seer stone, no magic eight ball just bingo and they show up.

:lol: given that your one liners are always pretty damn funny, I'd say consistency is working for you--don't stop!