DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by _Tator »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Here's a one-liner I like to use once in a while:

10,000 unemployed comedians and Tator is trying to be funny!

- Doc

You are welcome to use that one-liner anytime because most of time it is very much justified.

Back to the subject, I have a one-liner excuse that mr. DCP might want to plagiarize, I mean adopt.

"The first place you go blind is right in the eyes."
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Lemmie wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:And so I should care about BYU's Honor Code, and why?

As to the question in your post, perhaps you are unaware that Peterson teaches at BYU.

The question was so gloriously obtuse and stupid that it is rather amazing, not to mention revealing.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

So, as I was saying, people are advised to ignore Bot's pronouncements and judgments on the topic of plagiarism in an academic context. He obviously does not have the first clue about it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:So, as I was saying, people are advised to ignore Bot's pronouncements and judgments on the topic of plagiarism in an academic context. He obviously does not have the first clue about it.

Can someone who personally knows Bob please step forward (offline and privately) and help save Bob from himself?

I'm serious. It's like he's in some kind of downward mental spiral or early stage dementia. I've helped take care of family who struggled with dementia in their later years and have seen it rob them of their dignity. All the signs are there in Bob's recent posts.

Over the years I've certainly taken my fair share of good-natured potshots at Bob's unique posting style, but I really think there could be something serious going on.

I'm not trying to be funny or a dick with this post. Someone who personally knows Bob please make sure his family gets him medically evaluated.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Sorry for being off topic here, but I think it's worth mentioning the Author of Entangled Minds, while he does have a technical background, is ultimately a Phd psychologist and not a practicing physicist. The point of the SeN article is encapsulated in the very last statement:

"So, how close is the analogy, really, between telepathy and quantum entanglement?"

Good freaking Lord.

Gemli sets the Old Guard straight. But just to be a little more precise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem

" The theorem disallows all communication, not just faster-than-light communication, by means of shared quantum states."

When Gemli repeatedly tells the Old Guard they can't share information via entanglement, he gets sarcastic replies like "Is that so?" and Midgley says:

I notice the same thing about gemli. Poor ilmag just can't seem to find something better than posting on Dan's blog with the brief moments before the end, in his own less than rational understanding of things, of course.

Because DCP and Midgley have "rational understandings" of quantum mechanics that involves telepathy. LOL! This is incredible.

Note that just recently, Midgley bragged about the two science conferences the Interpreter has hosted as evidence the new MI is failing to keep up. One has to wonder what kind of junk science they're teaching at these conferences.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Good heavens. Just when you think that you are done being baffled by the BS of classic-FARMS Mopologists. This is why they make such a rich field of study.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Gadianton wrote:Sorry for being off topic here, but I think it's worth mentioning the Author of Entangled Minds, while he does have a technical background, is ultimately a Phd psychologist and not a practicing physicist. The point of the SeN article is encapsulated in the very last statement:

"So, how close is the analogy, really, between telepathy and quantum entanglement?"

Good freaking Lord.

Thanks, Gad, and not off topic at all. I was focused on the plagiarism, but the whole time I was documenting his cut-and-pastes, I was laughing my ass off, thinking "this is the book DCP decides to plagiarize from?!!"

On Amazon, the book is listed in the subcategory "Occult & Paranormal," found in the "Religion & Spirituality" book category.

It occurs to me now, when I just looked up the book to quote its category name correctly, that Peterson probably took his whole idea from the Amazon description. Peterson's premise:
[first sentence]Albert Einstein...compared quantum theory’s prediction of entangled particles to telepathy.

[last sentence]So, how close is the analogy, really, between telepathy and quantum entanglement?

Amazon description of Radin's work:
Albert Einstein called entanglement "spooky action at a distance"....

Could a similar entanglement of minds explain our apparent psychic abilities?

https://www.amazon.com/Entangled-Minds- ... 1416516778

According to Everybody Wang Chung's links, it wouldn't be the first time Peterson relied upon an Amazon description to talk about a book's premise.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithpromo ... eret-news/
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:Good heavens. Just when you think that you are done being baffled by the BS of classic-FARMS Mopologists. This is why they make such a rich field of study.

:lol:
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lemmie wrote:On Amazon, the book is listed in the subcategory "Occult & Paranormal," found in the "Religion & Spirituality" book category.

Huh. I guess Paranormal Peterson really does live up to his moniker.

I wonder if his employers have ever read any of these kinds of threads and blog posts detailing his overt and unabashed plagiarism?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

Gadianton wrote:Because DCP and Midgley have "rational understandings" of quantum mechanics that involves telepathy. LOL! This is incredible.

History, drama and the arts, politics, literature, linguistics, hard science, gastronomy, travel, etc.

Follow Sic et Non long enough and you'll note that DCP is rarely a non-expert.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.