Kofford Pranks The Interpreter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Kofford Pranks The Interpreter

Post by _Kishkumen »

The folks at Kofford decided to have a little fun at the Interpreter's expense. They took Steve Densley's generally deplorable review of Kofford's Perspectives on Mormon Theology: Apologetics by selectively quoting it to turn it into something positive as a promotional gag for their website.

Steve Densley wrote:A very important contribution to the study of Mormon theology . . . marvelous.

The original?

A few positive articles appear in the volume, but these few essays do not entirely salvage what may have otherwise been a very important contribution to the study of Mormon theology. It would have been marvelous to see a book that explored the history of Mormon apologetics, the variety of topics that have been addressed, the way in which critics have responded to apologetic arguments, and more important, the way in which apologetics has affected the lives of ordinary Mormons. Unfortunately, we must still await such a volume.

A hullaballoo naturally ensued, as one can expect when certain parties are concerned:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2017/10/constructing-advertising-copy-jacket-blurbs-art-science.html#7Ehzri9BV2xTZrEm.99

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2017/10/important-contribution-study-mormon-theology-marvelous.html

On Facebook, friend of the board David Bokovoy has weighed in, criticizing Densley's review, and even posted something on DCP's Facebook wall.

Mopologetics, keeping things interesting.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: Kofford Pranks The Interpreter

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Is this what David was talking about on his Facebook page? I glanced at it, but didn't really read it super carefully. Too funny!
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _deacon blues »

three cheers! :biggrin:
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

A new post is up at Patheos, which can be summarized as:

"Ha ha. Not funny."

But "Metcalfe is butthead" is?
:rolleyes:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

DCP never has time to really pay attention to anything as his busy schedule makes it impossible to do so. He is doing so many important things all over the world, catching planes in Israel or Europe or wherever. Even so, he seems make time to comment on these issues for us poor souls nonetheless. What an amazing guy!
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Lemmie wrote:A new post is up at Patheos, which can be summarized as:

"Ha ha. Not funny."

But "Metcalfe is butthead" is?
:rolleyes:

Don’t be so grimly humorless, Lemmie!

:wink: :lol:
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_the narrator
_Emeritus

Post by _the narrator »

Poking that beast with a jolly stick probably wasn't my greatest idea.
You're absolutely vile and obnoxious paternalistic air of intellectual superiority towards anyone who takes issue with your clear misapprehension of core LDS doctrine must give one pause. - Droopy
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

the narrator wrote:Poking that beast with a jolly stick probably wasn't my greatest idea.

LOL
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Tom »

Kishkumen wrote:The folks at Kofford decided to have a little fun at the Interpreter's expense. They took Steve Densley's generally deplorable review of Kofford's Perspectives on Mormon Theology: Apologetics by selectively quoting it to turn it into something positive as a promotional gag for their website.

Steve Densley wrote:A very important contribution to the study of Mormon theology . . . marvelous.

The original?

A few positive articles appear in the volume, but these few essays do not entirely salvage what may have otherwise been a very important contribution to the study of Mormon theology. It would have been marvelous to see a book that explored the history of Mormon apologetics, the variety of topics that have been addressed, the way in which critics have responded to apologetic arguments, and more important, the way in which apologetics has affected the lives of ordinary Mormons. Unfortunately, we must still await such a volume.

A hullaballoo naturally ensued, as one can expect when certain parties are concerned:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2017/10/constructing-advertising-copy-jacket-blurbs-art-science.html#7Ehzri9BV2xTZrEm.99

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2017/10/important-contribution-study-mormon-theology-marvelous.html

On Facebook, friend of the board David Bokovoy has weighed in, criticizing Densley's review, and even posted something on DCP's Facebook wall.

Mopologetics, keeping things interesting.

I noticed that Dr. Bokovoy described Mr. Densley's piece as "the worst book review I have ever read." I wonder whether Dr. Bokovoy reconsidered that assessment after reading Dr. Midgley's recent review of M. Newton's Southern Cross Saints: The Mormons in Australia.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_the narrator
_Emeritus

Post by _the narrator »

Tom wrote:I noticed that Dr. Bokovoy described Mr. Densley's piece as "the worst book review I have ever read." I wonder whether Dr. Bokovoy reconsidered that assessment after reading Dr. Midgley's recent review of M. Newton's Southern Cross Saints: The Mormons in Australia.

He does think it's even worse, which he is correct in thinking. Midgley's is one of the most deplorable and shameful "reviews" that crew has ever done.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're absolutely vile and obnoxious paternalistic air of intellectual superiority towards anyone who takes issue with your clear misapprehension of core LDS doctrine must give one pause. - Droopy