Kofford Pranks The Interpreter

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Kofford Pranks The Interpreter

Post by _RockSlider »

the narrator wrote:Poking that beast with a jolly stick probably wasn't my greatest idea.

wow, the narrator, it's been a long time. Good to see you.
_the narrator
_Emeritus

Post by _the narrator »

RockSlider wrote:
the narrator wrote:Poking that beast with a jolly stick probably wasn't my greatest idea.

wow, the narrator, it's been a long time. Good to see you.

I saw the batsignal and thought i'd swing into gotham to check things out.
You're absolutely vile and obnoxious paternalistic air of intellectual superiority towards anyone who takes issue with your clear misapprehension of core LDS doctrine must give one pause. - Droopy
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Well, you do it knowing full well the predictable results, and then you either accept the predicted outcome or you don't. My guess is that you all will be just fine. It would not be the first time that a publisher put a twist on a review using ellipses. And, it won't be the last. This time it seems to have been done in good fun.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:I noticed that Dr. Bokovoy described Mr. Densley's piece as "the worst book review I have ever read." I wonder whether Dr. Bokovoy reconsidered that assessment after reading Dr. Midgley's recent review of M. Newton's Southern Cross Saints: The Mormons in Australia.

Well, if there is something we know about the Mopologists, it's their habit of writing really long, really bad reviews, and publishing the same.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Lemmie wrote:A new post is up at Patheos, which can be summarized as:

"Ha ha. Not funny."

But "Metcalfe is butthead" is?
:rolleyes:

Don’t be so grimly humorless, Lemmie!

:wink: :lol:

:lol:
Speaking of the grimly humorless, I notice Midgley's review of Southern Cross Saints was mentioned. Wow. I'm a freakin' dancing monkey on speed compared to that grim guy.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

I'd donate $50 to the Interpreter Foundation to see the actual email exchange. Seriously.

I'm imagining...

Dear Mr. Kofford,

I am writing this email to you on behalf of the Board of Directors of the Interpreter Foundation to inform you that in a marketing piece, you gravely misrepresent a review that was published in Volume 27 of Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scripture by Dr. Steven T. Densley Jr......

Dear Dr. Peterson,

I express my sincerest gratitude for you calling this serious matter to my attention. We will be having a board meeting soon and will set up a committee to review this matter thoroughly. I personally assure you that if our committee determines that Densely's review for the Interpreter has in fact been materially misrepresented, corrective actions will be implemented....

That is hilarious.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_the narrator
_Emeritus

Post by _the narrator »

Kishkumen wrote:

Well, you do it knowing full well the predictable results, and then you either accept the predicted outcome or you don't. My guess is that you all will be just fine. It would not be the first time that a publisher put a twist on a review using ellipses. And, it won't be the last. This time it seems to have been done in good fun.

We threw that thing up too fast to think about the predictable results. As my wife is constantly reminding me (and which I constantly forget), not everyone shares my humor. Oh well. So it goes.
You're absolutely vile and obnoxious paternalistic air of intellectual superiority towards anyone who takes issue with your clear misapprehension of core LDS doctrine must give one pause. - Droopy
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
_the narrator
_Emeritus

Post by _the narrator »

Water Dog wrote:
the narrator wrote:We threw that thing up too fast to think about the predictable results. As my wife is constantly reminding me (and which I constantly forget), not everyone shares my humor. Oh well. So it goes.

Please don't take this in an offensive way, but don't you have a reputation for this sort of thing? I've heard a lot of very unflattering stories through the grapevine and generally have a low opinion of Kofford because of gossip attributed to you. For example, didn't you get yourself in trouble for setting up a website/blog dedicated to disparaging DCP? And not in a joking but very hateful and personal way. The gossip I've been privy to may be false, but just putting it out there. DCP's response was certainly that of a grump, but it is my impression that important context is being neglected that maybe serves to explain his lack of humor in this case.

Yes, I did spend a half hour or so several years ago making a parody blog that was meant for only a few friends after one of them accused DCP of having the temperament of a teenage girl. So I made a fake blog with pink lettering, floating hearts, and a few of his blog posts with several OMG's and other teen phrases thrown in. It was an inside joke that I guarantee DCP and his pals would have laughed hard about if it were made using John Dehlin--I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA--however, while I thought it would have been unreachable to anyone outside of my 2-3 friends I shared I showed it to, I didn't realize it was linked on my blogger profile, which one of DCP's fans (Tim Barker, If I recall correctly) happened to click--which was probably the only time ever that someone had looked at that profile.

So there's that. However, this would have received the same backlash without DDD every happening. It's DCP's thing to respond in this way, and I should have known better.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

dang sandal wearing hippies anyway