F-Bombs Rain Down on lds.org

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: F-Bombs Rain Down on lds.org

Post by _RockSlider »

It's hard to tell which of these might be from non-ymyw age individuals and which are actually from ymyw. But there seems to be enough genuine ones to highlight to me that the youths questions/issues are not like mine. The stereotypical millennials are indeed a different animal than this baby boomer, and even more so than the Grand Generation asking/trying to answer these questions.

I can hardly wait to see this progress.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

RockSlider wrote:actually I don't see a way to submit a new question.

Too often it seems reddit is total trash.

I'll paste some in

"More and more of my friends and extended family members are leaving the church. Some have been inactive for a long time, and some have left recently. Many are people I'm close with. What is the best way to keep up those relationships and letting them know I love them without being overbearing in my conversations regarding the church? I feel sad and wish they would come back to church but I don't want to force anything on anyone."

"Increasingly, I find it hard to feel the Spirit because of my anxiety and depression. I feel lost and unmotivated to do anything in life - finish school, have children, be a supportive wife, etc. Part of it may be because I feel overwhelmed with life but also part of me believes my mental illnesses will prevent me from being good at anything - being a good mother, a good wife, or being a good professional in any career. I feel like I am drowning in self-doubt and not going anywhere. I pray and go to church, but I still feel lost and like I'm going through the motions. What can I do to feel the Spirit and the Lord's guidance in my life? I feel like I'm losing hope."

"My friend said the church is a cult because we can’t read unapproved materials, ask unapproved questions, or criticize the church or its leaders. How do I disprove his claims?"

"My father no longer believes in the church. Should my mother divorce him? He is an otherwise, wonderful father who is kind and good. My mother's bishop is encouraging divorce and it is putting a strain on our family. Direction from the Lord's prophets would be very beneficial to my family and others in similar situations."

"What role do the Quorums of the Twelve Apostles and Seventy play in facilitating excommunications or disciplinary councils? Once at a church activity I asked a group of males, ages 18 - 27, what we mean by “salvation” or “being saved”. Each of the six males in the group had a different answer and a somewhat heated discussion ensued. One said the salvation meant resurrection only another said that salvation was synonymous with exaltation another said that salvation meant making it into the lowest of the levels of the Celestial Kingdom. What is your opinion/ understanding? What do we mean when we say that “Jesus is the Savior?” Why is Handbook 1 not distributed to members or published openly on the Church website?"

not even getting started ....

I read a bunch of the questions. There's some heartbreaking stuff in there.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Consig may have jumped the gun on this one.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:It looks like somebody thought it was a good idea to allow all the questions being sent in by young single adults in advance of the Face-to-Face with Elders Ballard and Oaks be publicly viewable.

With predictable results.

Here is a link to the discussion on exmormon reddit, which includes screen shots of a couple of the approximately 2500 questions submitted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ng_on_the/

The Only True and Living Website may never be the same.

Well, if you ask me, someone should ask the General Authorities to provide correct explanations to the explanations to Facsimile No. 3.

Like, what is the king's name?

Stupid, dumb, ignorant, elder Oaks & Ballard. A pair of clowns.

:lol:

Screw you Oaks!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It shows, I think, how the current organizational model of the LDS Church no longer works. There may have been a time when this messiah business worked better, but this gaffe reveals how risible it is. Not only do people not show respect, but it is painfully obvious that the pat answers delivered in the traditional way are weak sauce.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Bombed is right. Who called in these bombers? These weren't people that just happen to daily check out what's going on at lds.org. This was planned just like a flash mob is.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Kishkumen wrote:It shows, I think, how the current organizational model of the LDS Church no longer works. There may have been a time when this messiah business worked better, but this gaffe reveals how risible it is. Not only do people not show respect, but it is painfully obvious that the pat answers delivered in the traditional way are weak sauce.

That past time 'when the messiah business worked better' was in a time of ignorance as compared to today's information age. Back when there was less science, larger gaps for there to be a god of. Those gaps are so narrow today they've reached the point that 'god' is irrelevant.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: F-Bombs Rain Down on LDS.org

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Res Ipsa wrote:
RockSlider wrote:actually I don't see a way to submit a new question.

Too often it seems reddit is total trash.

I'll paste some in

"More and more of my friends and extended family members are leaving the church. Some have been inactive for a long time, and some have left recently. Many are people I'm close with. What is the best way to keep up those relationships and letting them know I love them without being overbearing in my conversations regarding the church? I feel sad and wish they would come back to church but I don't want to force anything on anyone."

"Increasingly, I find it hard to feel the Spirit because of my anxiety and depression. I feel lost and unmotivated to do anything in life - finish school, have children, be a supportive wife, etc. Part of it may be because I feel overwhelmed with life but also part of me believes my mental illnesses will prevent me from being good at anything - being a good mother, a good wife, or being a good professional in any career. I feel like I am drowning in self-doubt and not going anywhere. I pray and go to church, but I still feel lost and like I'm going through the motions. What can I do to feel the Spirit and the Lord's guidance in my life? I feel like I'm losing hope."

"My friend said the church is a cult because we can’t read unapproved materials, ask unapproved questions, or criticize the church or its leaders. How do I disprove his claims?"

"My father no longer believes in the church. Should my mother divorce him? He is an otherwise, wonderful father who is kind and good. My mother's bishop is encouraging divorce and it is putting a strain on our family. Direction from the Lord's prophets would be very beneficial to my family and others in similar situations."

"What role do the Quorums of the Twelve Apostles and Seventy play in facilitating excommunications or disciplinary councils? Once at a church activity I asked a group of males, ages 18 - 27, what we mean by “salvation” or “being saved”. Each of the six males in the group had a different answer and a somewhat heated discussion ensued. One said the salvation meant resurrection only another said that salvation was synonymous with exaltation another said that salvation meant making it into the lowest of the levels of the Celestial Kingdom. What is your opinion/ understanding? What do we mean when we say that “Jesus is the Savior?” Why is Handbook 1 not distributed to members or published openly on the Church website?"

not even getting started ....

I read a bunch of the questions. There's some heartbreaking stuff in there.

Yes, there is. Have there been any answers?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB