Fantasy Mormon Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: Fantasy Mormon Church

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:In my Fantasy Mormon Church there would be stake dances for the adults, not the youth. Swing, Jazz, etc. Kids should not be pressured into doing things they don't see their parents doing. And I might even get rid of the youth dances altogether. Why can't the adults have fun? Kids should look forward to adulthood because that's when the real fun starts instead of it being the end of life.

consiglieri is big on the idea of adult activities too. I think it's a great idea.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:In my Fantasy Mormon Church, rather than pressuring members to invite their friends, I would encourage members to ask their friends if they can go to church with them sometime, and then come back and tell us what they learned.

I attended other churches more as a missionary than at any other time in my life. It was a good experience.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:Wisdom From The Best Books
In my Fantasy Mormon Church, the best books are the best books, without some silly restriction to LDS books approved by some committee.

If not all books, then at least open the canon to include the Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and the Desiderata.

Since the Desiderata is just one page, it could be included in each year's rotating study schedule.

If any Saints are truly insistent, then the Orson Scott Card series of books could be offered as some sort of pseudo-Apocrypha.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:Word of Wisdom
Be healthy. Eat good food. Exercise wisdom and moderation in all things.

Perhaps an addendum to this could include the exhortation to keep current on modern nutritional science and possibly recommend that adherents abstain from ice cream every Friday. In lieu of ice cream, Thai iced coffee could be substituted after dinner.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

In my ideal church, no one has divine authority. People share spiritual experiences, insight, and real support, and there's always room for skepticism.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Exponent II had a blog post listing "95 Theses" for the church. Some are big, some are not so big. https://www.the-exponent.com/my-ninety- ... nt-page-1/
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Meadowchik wrote:In my ideal church, no one has divine authority. People share spiritual experiences, insight, and real support, and there's always room for skepticism.

no church bears skepticism.

don't you believe? then quote one, please...

here is something saying about skepticism:

"Driven to despair by his fruitless attempts to understand the Universe, the sage Devadasa finally announced in exasperation:
ALL STATEMENTS THAT CONTAIN THE WORD GOD ARE FALSE.
Instantly, his least-favourite disciple Somasiri replied "The sentence I am now speaking contains the word God. I fail to see, Oh Noble Master, how that simple statement can be false."
Devadasa considered the matter for several Poyas. Then he answered, this time with apparent satisfaction:
ONLY STATEMENTS THAT DO NOT CONTAIN THE WORD GOD CAN BE TRUE.
After a pause barely sufficient for a starving mongoose to swallow a millet seed, Somasiri replied: "If this statement applies to itself; Oh Venerable One, it cannot be true, because it contains the word God. But if it is not true... -"
At this point, Devadasa broke his begging-bowl upon Somasiri's head, and should therefore be honoured as the true founder of Zen.

(From a fragment of the Culavamsa, as yet undiscovered)"
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.