Fantasy Mormon Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Fantasy Mormon Church

Post by _Meadowchik »

Choyo Chagas wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:In my ideal church, no one has divine authority. People share spiritual experiences, insight, and real support, and there's always room for skepticism.

no church bears skepticism.

don't you believe? then quote one, please...

here is something saying about skepticism:
"Driven to despair by his fruitless attempts to understand the Universe, the sage Devadasa finally announced in exasperation:
ALL STATEMENTS THAT CONTAIN THE WORD GOD ARE FALSE.
Instantly, his least-favourite disciple Somasiri replied "The sentence I am now speaking contains the word God. I fail to see, Oh Noble Master, how that simple statement can be false."
Devadasa considered the matter for several Poyas. Then he answered, this time with apparent satisfaction:
ONLY STATEMENTS THAT DO NOT CONTAIN THE WORD GOD CAN BE TRUE.
After a pause barely sufficient for a starving mongoose to swallow a millet seed, Somasiri replied: "If this statement applies to itself; Oh Venerable One, it cannot be true, because it contains the word God. But if it is not true... -"
At this point, Devadasa broke his begging-bowl upon Somasiri's head, and should therefore be honoured as the true founder of Zen.

(From a fragment of the Culavamsa, as yet undiscovered)"

No church bears skepticism? Really? Have you heard of the Quakers? Unitarian Universalists? Even then, just because something does not exist now, does not mean it cannot.

Regarding your Devadasa anecdotes, there is a difference between "Thus Saith The Lord..." statements and "I believe..." statements.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:How did you manage that as a missionary?

On occasion I and my companion would pop into a church meeting. Sometimes our investigators invited us to go. Sometimes I just felt inspired to drop into a congregation. Once we sang "I am a Child of God" at the invitation of the pastor. Those were interesting times.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:Thai iced coffee could be substituted after dinner.

That sounds delicious!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:In my ideal church, no one has divine authority. People share spiritual experiences, insight, and real support, and there's always room for skepticism.

I look at it this way: priesthood is about offering and serving. If all adults have it, and there is no hierarchy, then there is no divine authority as conceived in the LDS Church now.

Great ideas for a Fantasy Mormon Church.

On the subject of skepticism, it's crucial for mature thought. In my view, no one should ever feel they have arrived at the absolute truth. If they feel they have, then they do not understand the human condition.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Meadowchik wrote:Regarding your Devadasa anecdotes, there is a difference between "Thus Saith The Lord..." statements and "I believe..." statements.

1. devadasa didn't say 'i believe'.
he used indicative mood, as always.

2. i am always serious... but that anecdote is a joke, eve without :lol: mark

3. What does Devadasa mean?
follow the link : https://www.babynamespedia.com/a/wc/mea ... dasa.M.jpg ; the image is too wide to show here
[ 4 syll. de-va-da-sa, dev-ad-asa ] The baby boy name Devadasa is pronounced D-EYVaa-D-AH-SHaa †. Devadasa's language of origin is Sanskrit and it is predominantly used in Indian.

The meaning of Devadasa is 'slave of the gods'. As such, he can repeat only words of god. any god. Then here is the :evil:
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

I get excited by all of these ideas and at the risk of being repetitive to them, I'll just say I agree. For some reason I'm still hanging on to Church wit some hope that some of what is discussed in this thread will come out, soon, quickly. Then I go to church and realize it ain't happening. The next week, I rinse and repeat. The frustration and pain helps me somehow.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

We would stop spending billions on the purported spiritual needs of the dead, and instead spend that money on those who are still alive and whose needs, spiritual or otherwise are right in front of us.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Fence Sitter wrote:We would stop spending billions on the purported spiritual needs of the dead, and instead spend that money on those who are still alive and whose needs, spiritual or otherwise are right in front of us.

Fence ftw.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

One of the greatest surprises to me as I look back over the years of my non-participation in the church, going on 15 years now, is just how much I DON'T miss the Mormon Church, not even a little, nothing, nada, zero. I don't need some made up Fantasy Mormon Church that will never exist...(kind of like a fantasy football team that on paper is perfect but is just fantasy in reality) because I am a member of my very own perfect "real" non-church. One of my own making. And the best part is that this non church bends and moves to my own personal wishes, desires and whims. It allows me to golf on Sundays if that is my desire, it has no boring meetings that I have to attend, I don't have to interact with anyone that I don't want to interact with, it has no dietary limitations built on the false premises of an 1830's abstinence movement and the best part I don't have to answer to anyone but the dictates of my own conscience, no temple recommend questions, not even one.

If Mormon's actually knew how amazing life could be without their church dictating and exercising control over every aspect of their lives...they would leave in droves.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I could join a church that says...we make no promises. When someone is sick and asks for healing help...there are no promises..but we are here to help with love and support. It is what it is..

I could join a church that simply asks.."what do YOU think"???