Fantasy Mormon Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Fantasy Mormon Church

Post by _RockSlider »

Kishkumen,

So you are still a theist?
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

In my fantasy Mormon church all clergy is professionally trained and paid.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

Water Dog wrote:In my Fantasy Mormon Church, things like teaching people how to engage in meaningful service would be important. Missionary work would be about personal growth, getting out of one's comfort zone in service of others, not being driven by an ulterior motive to convert. Missionary work should be personally rewarding.

Amen, Water Dog!
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Post by _Wonhyo »

In my fantasy Mormon Church, there would be few, if any, utterances of the misused words “worthy” and “worthiness”.

Also, the three-hour meeting block on Sunday would be pared down.

And we’d cool it with the cultural practice (which manifests itself even in Church curicula) of leader veneration.
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:Because salvation is a state of being, it's about becoming a certain type of person, a kind of jedi knight, not about getting to a certain destination. And this is where the works come in. It's not about arbitrary busy work, checking off silly boxes, but work in the sense of personal change. We don't buy our way into heaven with busy work. We can't buy our way into heaven at all, it's not a place. We either become a godly, Christ-like person, conquer the natural man and become masters of this human condition, or we don't.

Framed in this way, the atonement, and revelation, is spiritual empowerment. Whether Christ and the Spirit are literally real, with ESP-like data transfers, or these are just concepts which represent the idea of inter-generational transfers of human knowledge, I don't think that distinction necessarily matters. Whatever a prophet is or has ever been, the idea is for everybody to be a prophet. The goal should be to attain a kind of spiritual competence. Confidence in one's own ability to obtain answers, possess objective truth, etc. My fantasy church would delve into these topics, and consider spirituality from many aspects, including other religions and classical philosophy. I think we can and should learn from others.

In my Fantasy Mormon Church, things like teaching people how to engage in meaningful service would be important. Missionary work would be about personal growth, getting out of one's comfort zone in service of others, not being driven by an ulterior motive to convert. Missionary work should be personally rewarding.

Great thoughts, Water Dog! I like these ideas a lot. More things for me to pilfer for my own Fantasy Mormon Church.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

RockSlider wrote:Kishkumen,

So you are still a theist?

I would call myself more of a pantheist.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

SteelHead wrote:In my fantasy Mormon church all clergy is professionally trained and paid.

Hehehe.

Well, that certainly cuts down on the bad sermons, ideally!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Wonhyo wrote:In my fantasy Mormon Church, there would be few, if any, utterances of the misused words “worthy” and “worthiness”.

Also, the three-hour meeting block on Sunday would be pared down.

And we’d cool it with the cultural practice (which manifests itself even in Church curicula) of leader veneration.

Amen on all those ideas, Wonhyo.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

I don't know what this is or would be, but I'd focus on secular humanism/morality
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

RockSlider wrote:I don't know what this is or would be, but I'd focus on secular humanism/morality

Humanism and morality are great things to focus on!