I'm Hosting H. Michael Marquardt for Vets Day - YEAH!!!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

I'm Hosting H. Michael Marquardt for Vets Day - YEAH!!!

Post by _Philo Sofee »

H. Michael Marquardt, one of the definitive refuters of Hugh Nibley's Book of Abraham apologetics is going to be a guest in my house for Vets Day celebrating his veteran service. Sock Puppet and Tator and a few others not on this board will also be attending the festivities.

I am making my vintage excellent cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped bratwursts smoked using Alder and Apple wood!!!! It's going to be fundamentally without question great fun, great food, great company, and a great day! He is going to share with us his research on the Council of 50, the Book of Abraham, and information on Joseph Smith's polygamy.

We shall post pics after we get em taken.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: I'm Hosting H. Michael Marquardt for Vets Day - YEAH!!!!

Post by _Maksutov »

You're very fortunate. Glad to hear he's doing well and envy you the event. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: I'm Hosting H. Michael Marquardt for Vets Day - YEAH!!!!

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Maksutov wrote:You're very fortunate. Glad to hear he's doing well and envy you the event. :wink:

Yes, I can tell he is aging, but doing so gracefully. I am looking very forward to it.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: I'm Hosting H. Michael Marquardt for Vets Day - YEAH!!!

Post by _Kishkumen »

Sounds like a great day for all of you. I am green with envy!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Marquardt was a wealth of information and insights.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Philo and his wife served a great lunch of cheese brats wrapped in bacon, then smoked. Tator came, as did one of Philo's nephews. Very enlightening. Marquardt reprised his recent presentations on the Council of 50 and the BoAbr, including some background on Facs 2.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It really was fun and delicious and delightful having company today. We asked all kinds of questions, had some good laughs, learned some things (actually had them reinforced) and so on. One fact Marquardt made perfectly clear is that Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and John Taylor all went against the Constitution and had themselves all anointed as literal kings. Prophet was a high office above the regular Joes and Annabelles who were to follow their lead, and they were to arm themselves with weapons to kill anyone who opposed them. They called this "shod with the Gospel of peace." Being so armed with the Gospel, their intent was to wipe out the gentiles and rule the rest of the world in a theocracy. That is what brought the wrath of freedom loving people upon them, not persecution for helpless, toothless revelations. The minutes of the Council of 50 prove without doubt the nefarious plans, intents, and hearts of early Mormon Leadership. There was nothing peaceful, loving, or joyous about it. Amazing stuff actually.
Dr CamNC4Me
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Philo Sofee wrote:It really was fun and delicious and delightful having company today. We asked all kinds of questions, had some good laughs, learned some things (actually had them reinforced) and so on. One fact Marquardt made perfectly clear is that Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and John Taylor all went against the Constitution and had themselves all anointed as literal kings. Prophet was a high office above the regular Joes and Annabelles who were to follow their lead, and they were to arm themselves with weapons to kill anyone who opposed them. They called this "shod with the Gospel of peace." Being so armed with the Gospel, their intent was to wipe out the gentiles and rule the rest of the world in a theocracy. That is what brought the wrath of freedom loving people upon them, not persecution for helpless, toothless revelations. The minutes of the Council of 50 prove without doubt the nefarious plans, intents, and hearts of early Mormon Leadership. There was nothing peaceful, loving, or joyous about it. Amazing stuff actually.

Taylor may have become prophet in 1877, but he was elevated and anointed a king eight years later in 1885
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Sorry I'm late to the "return and report" function of the OP.

I had a great time excellent food and presentation. The host and hostess were delightful. Mr. Sofee was delightful but after meeting Mrs. Sofee I realize Mr. Sofee definately has better than he deserves. One thing I never figured out was who wears the pants in the Skirts family. :lol:

Mike's presentation was very informative. One thing that caught my interest was the Council of Fifty determining after Joe's death that the time of the gentiles was over and the time of the Lamanites as Israelites was beginning. The proposals of arming the Lamanites to fight the US government was interesting. Also many of the Council wanted to settle in the San Francisco area. Anyway all their proposals and efforts to undermine the US government was interesting.

The whole anointing the "king" stuff seemed like what lunatics like David Koresh or Jim Jones would be spewing. I think there is a lot more crazyassed stuff to come out of these releases.

Sofee's young nephew was really great in presenting a young persons point of view as a recent "apostate". A great time was had by all. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Well heck man, I can't help it, I do have better than I deserve. I think we need to make more serious efforts to get more of us together next spring and summer for some festivities and food around here also. It was so cool having you guys sharing in Marquardt's knowledge with me! We need more!

What interests me is how the church has accomodated to the new culture and changing times. No longer are the gentiles the enemy to be eliminated nor the "Lamanites" (sorry FARMS/FAIR, Joseph and the early Mormons most definitely DID establish the American indians as the Book of Mormon Lamanites without doubt, whose forefathers came from the Jews in Jerusalem, the evidence is positively overwhelming in that regard, your apologetic has struck out - it's why DNA is so damning to the Book of Mormon) to be armed and help slaughter all those opposed to the Mormons. The changes/deletions in the endowment demonstrates more of this accomodation as well. It is all so very fascinating how they are making this the church of Joseph Smith, yet they have to throw out fully 80% of his prophecies, teachings, and program to do it. Wow, just wow.

And yeah my nephew got a kick out of it all as well and really liked all you guys! Fun times!
Dr CamNC4Me