A Big Question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

A Big Question

Post by _deacon blues »

This is a big question, and it may seem silly to some, but it is serious to believers in the plan of salvation, and the council in heaven as taught in the LDS church.

How did a world that started with two Mormons, Adam and Eve, end up (after six thousand years) with only 15 million Mormons out of 7 billion people?

That's about 2.4 Mormons out of every 10,000 people, if I'm thinking correctly. Or .0024 Mormons out of every 100 people.

This is a legitimate question, if you are a literal believer.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: A Big Question

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

No longer a believer, but I can tell you how I used to think.

Mormon.org says "A spirit united with its body is called a soul. The first two such souls came to the earth in the form of Adam and Eve."

In other words defenders see it as Adam and Eve being the first souls, not the first biological humans LOL
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

I don't think anyone in the Church looks at Adam and Eve as the first "Mormons". They weren't even considered Jews.

Also, there are only around 5 million active members now. Two-thirds of the membership have left.

And yes, it's a joke to think this Church would roll forth and fill the whole Earth, and yet have active membership at only a minute fraction of one percent.

Gotta love the Internet! Exposing Mormonism one post at a time. :mrgreen:
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Maybe it isn't emphasized much anymore, but when I was taking release time seminary in the early 1970's, our teachers definitely taught us that Adam and Eve had the whole gospel; were baptized and sealed and the whole nine yards. I think they got from Joseph Fielding Smith and a Cleon Skousen books.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

deacon blues wrote:Maybe it isn't emphasized much anymore, but when I was taking release time seminary in the early 1970's, our teachers definitely taught us that Adam and Eve had the whole gospel; were baptized and sealed and the whole nine yards. I think they got from Joseph Fielding Smith and a Cleon Skousen books.

I was taught that as well. In fact, there are many Mormons who actually think Jesus was Mormon, not Jewish! Astounding, but true.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Philo Sofee wrote:
deacon blues wrote:Maybe it isn't emphasized much anymore, but when I was taking release time seminary in the early 1970's, our teachers definitely taught us that Adam and Eve had the whole gospel; were baptized and sealed and the whole nine yards. I think they got from Joseph Fielding Smith and a Cleon Skousen books.

I was taught that as well. In fact, there are many Mormons who actually think Jesus was Mormon, not Jewish! Astounding, but true.

I am sure DCP and his cadre of spinners will deny ever having heard such a thing, but I too was taught all this crap in Seminary, and some of it BYU religion classes.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Satan is the ruler of this world ..... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... and he'll get ya if ya don't watch out
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen