Breaking News--LDS Church Sends Letter to Bill Reel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Breaking News--LDS Church Sends Letter to Bill Reel

Post by _consiglieri »

Bill Reel at Mormon Discussion Podcast has just received a letter from a paralegal named Megan McGrath with the "Correlation-Intellectual property" arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

It appears very much a form letter, and I am wondering if other webpages with the name "Mormon" in it have received similar letters.

Hello,

It has come to our attention that intellectual property managed by our office is being used in the on these websites. "Mormon" is a trademark owned by Intellectual Reserve, Inc., a non-profit corporation affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (the "Church").

We would like to have you add a disclaimer to your websites stating that you have no affiliation with the Church. Please add the disclaimer in a prominent location, in a legible size, font, and color. An example of disclaimer language is below.

"The products (services) offered by [name of User] are neither made, provided, approved nor endorsed by Intellectual Reserve, Inc., or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Any content or opinions expressed, implied or included in or with the goods (services) offered by [name of User] are solely those of [name of User] and not those of Intellectual Reserve, Inc., or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

We offer licensing options for Church owned materials, including "Mormon" and images. Permission may be requested at https://permissions.lds.org. If you would like more information about licensing, you may call (800) 453-3860 x 3959 or email permissions@ldschurch.org.

Any future use of the Church's intellectual property will likewise require written permission from this office, which can be requested at the above website.

Please respond to this letter by November 29, 2017, confirming your compliance.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your help protecting Church-owned intellectual property.

Sincerely yours,

Megan McGrath
Paralegal
Correlation-Intellectual Property
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 E. North Temple Street, COB 13
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0013
Office: (801)240-2399

My understanding is that the LDS Church applied for a trademark at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on the name "Mormon" in 2002 but it was rejected as being too generic.

The LDS Church abandoned the attempt to trademark the name "Mormon" in 2007.

If that is so, I wonder why church legal is claiming to have such a trademark.

(I bolded the relevant language in the letter.)
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Re: Breaking News--LDS Church Sends Letter to Bill Reel

Post by _moinmoin »

You had me going with the thread title. I thought that the vultures had finally started circling and that his "end game" was falling into place.

Any further follow-up from your stake president?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Just looked this up in the USPTO databse. There is an entry for Mormon as a service Mark registered to IRI. It was renewed earlier this year.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I take it a "service Mark" is something different than a trademark?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Res Ipsa wrote:Just looked this up in the USPTO databse. There is an entry for Mormon as a service Mark registered to IRI. It was renewed earlier this year.

Thanks for doing that, RI.

Looks like a "service Mark" is a trademark used in the United States to identify a service rather than a product.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Do you happen to know the legal effect of obtaining a "service Mark" on the word Mormon?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

consiglieri wrote:I take it a "service Mark" is something different than a trademark?

The difference is technical. A trademark is placed on goods. A service mark is used for services. Bill should consult an IP lawyer.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

consiglieri wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Just looked this up in the USPTO databse. There is an entry for Mormon as a service Mark registered to IRI. It was renewed earlier this year.

Thanks for doing that, RI.

Looks like a "service Mark" is a trademark used in the United States to identify a service rather than a product.

Oh, and did I ever get Mormoned (serviced) the first 20 some years of my life. :rolleyes:
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

consiglieri wrote:Do you happen to know the legal effect of obtaining a "service Mark" on the word Mormon?

LOL. Just enough to suggest Bill consult an IP lawyer.

_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

You are no doubt correct, RI!

But I have a hard time taking too seriously a form letter from a paralegal.

What's the line from Apocalypse Now?

"You're an errand boy send by a grocery clerk to collect a bill."

Or something like that.