Revisiting Quakers on the Moon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Revisiting Quakers on the Moon

Post by _sock puppet »

In 1892 Oliver B. Huntington wrote:
“Nearly all the great discoveries of men in the last half century have, in one way or another, either directly or indirectly, contributed to prove Joseph Smith to be a Prophet.
“As far back as 1837, I know that he said the moon was inhabited by men and women the same as this earth, and that they lived to a greater age than we do — that they live generally to near the age of 1000 years.
“He described the men as averaging near six feet in height, and dressing quite uniformly in something near the Quaker style.
“In my Patriarchal blessing, given by the father of Joseph the Prophet, in Kirtland, 1837, I was told that I should preach the gospel before I was 21 years of age; that I should preach the gospel to the inhabitants upon the islands of the sea, and to the inhabitants of the moon, even the planet you can now behold with your eyes.” (The Young Woman’s Journal, published by the Young Ladies’ Mutual Improvement Associations of Zion, 1892, vol. 3, pp. 263-64)

Joseph Smith said it. Oliver B Huntington had faith in what Joseph Smith proclaimed as fact.

Is Huntington's faith in what Joseph Smith said "evidence" that there are Quaker-dressed men and women that inhabit the moon?

If not, why would a Mormon's belief in anything Joseph Smith said be evidence of the proposition?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Revisiting Quakers on the Moon

Post by _Shulem »

sock puppet wrote:
“Nearly all the great discoveries of men in the last half century have, in one way or another, either directly or indirectly, contributed to prove Joseph Smith to be a Prophet.
“As far back as 1837, I know that he said the moon was inhabited by men and women the same as this earth, and that they lived to a greater age than we do — that they live generally to near the age of 1000 years.
“He described the men as averaging near six feet in height, and dressing quite uniformly in something near the Quaker style.
“In my Patriarchal blessing, given by the father of Joseph the Prophet, in Kirtland, 1837, I was told that I should preach the gospel before I was 21 years of age; that I should preach the gospel to the inhabitants upon the islands of the sea, and to the inhabitants of the moon, even the planet you can now behold with your eyes.” (The Young Woman’s Journal, published by the Young Ladies’ Mutual Improvement Associations of Zion, 1892, vol. 3, pp. 263-64)

Joseph Smith said it. Oliver B Huntington had faith in what Joseph Smith proclaimed as fact.

Is Huntington's faith in what Joseph Smith said "evidence" that there are Quaker-dressed men and women that inhabit the moon?

If not, why would a Mormon's belief in anything Joseph Smith said be evidence of the proposition?

Well, it's simple. Joseph Smith loved to make fantastic claims that couldn't be disproved in his day -- all for the very purpose of glorifying himself in front of his friends. In his time, man really didn't know much about the moon. It was a mystery, an orb up in sky that did its thing. Who could say whether it was inhabited or not? No one could prove it one way or another. There may have been others, perhaps from a different sect, during Smith's day, that thought the moon was inhabited.

But then came modern times. Then came 1969. Joseph Smith was proven wrong, yet again. Just like modern Egyptologists proved him wrong about the Egyptian language and iconography.

Bottom line. There are no men on the moon. Joseph Smith was wrong. Patriarchal blessings are uninspired nonsense. The Spirit of Mormonism is a lie. But Mormons today refuse to accept the lies and love to live in a fantasy because they need something to cling to.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

sock puppet wrote:

Shulem wrote:Well, it's simple. Joseph Smith loved to make fantastic claims that couldn't be disproved in his day -- all for the very purpose of glorifying himself in front of his friends. In his time, man really didn't know much about the moon. It was a mystery, an orb up in sky that did its thing. Who could say whether it was inhabited or not? No one could prove it one way or another. There may have been others, perhaps from a different sect, during Smith's day, that thought the moon was inhabited.

But then came modern times. Then came 1969. Joseph Smith was proven wrong, yet again. Just like modern Egyptologists proved him wrong about the Egyptian language and iconography.

Bottom line. There are no men on the moon. Joseph Smith was wrong. Patriarchal blessings are uninspired nonsense. The Spirit of Mormonism is a lie. But Mormons today refuse to accept the lies and love to live in a fantasy because they need something to cling to.

Right. So I'm wondering how it might be that Huntington's "faith" is evidence that there are Quakers living on the Moon.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

sock puppet wrote:
Right. So I'm wondering how it might be that Huntington's "faith" is evidence that there are Quakers living on the Moon.

It's evidence in the mind, purely spiritual, nothing tangible at all. Close your eyes and imagine Quakers on the moon. That is what faith is. Faith is an understanding of things you hope to be true. Hence, faith and hope go hand in hand. But it proves nothing. It's all in the mind.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

http://nowscape.com/Mormon/irwin.htm

I don't know if this is BS, it sounds like it, but it is interesting.

Edit...for whatever reason the link won't work...but it is about president David O. McKay trying to convert an Apollo astronaut to convert the Quakers on the moon Google "Quakers on the Moon Irwin" and it should be the first hit.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

sock puppet wrote:

I would think that Joseph's father was highly suggestable to anything Joseph had to say. Joseph and the early brethren were wont to speculation on various things. If I'm not mistaken, Joseph had his own views on where the Lehites may have landed. Which is interesting in its own right considering a lot of folks believe Joseph was making all the geography up using the Great Lakes and New England area of the U.S.

Joseph didn't always get it right.

The Book of Mormon copyright mission to Canada was a failure. And revelation, in that case, was used as the reason for sending men on that mission. Other examples could be given where Joseph believed he WAS speaking as a prophet and others where he wasn't (Kinderhook Plates?)...and he knew it...even though others were thinking something otherwise. I am willing to cut him some slack and recognize that he, along with the rest of us, was a human...he had a learning curve to deal with as he received the things of God.

It was Joseph who said, by the way, that some 'revelations' were of God, some were of men, and some were of the devil. What a thing for a 'prophet' to own up to and admit.

Quakers on the moon. Joseph is probably eating his hat on that one. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Which one is he not eating his hat on?

BOM-> Fraudulent
BOA-> Fraudulent
WOW-> Nonsensical
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The Patriarch of the church, Joseph Smith Sr., had a false spirit. The prophecy of ministering to people on the moon was false. That was supposed to be the Holy Ghost speaking through the Patriarch of the church -- an ordained prophet, seer, and revelator. Thus we see that Mormon prophecy given through the Holy Spirit is wrong.

The Spirit of Mormonism is nothing but the spirit of man telling tales.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

what should the church do?
i have a simple tip.

by the way buckshee...

make some carved figures on new or renewed temples' facades:
men dressing quite uniformly in something near the quaker style, with the moon in background.

like this:
- http://newstimeliner.com/2017/04/08/con ... cathedral/ -
.Image.

Even with the most advanced technology, the universe remains a challenge with mankind’s current knowledge. Stories on these mysterious phenomena were collected by Epoch Times in “Beyond Science” to open up formerly impossible possibilities and stimulate the imagination. Whether they are true or not, it is up to you to decide.

A carved figure that seems to reminiscent of a modern astronaut can be found on a façade in one of the entrances of a 300-year-old cathedral in Salamanca, Spain. The cathedral’s construction started in 1513 and completed after 220 years in 1733.

Naturally, many questions can be formulated based on what the eyes see and what the minds think. Ideas of supernormal power of foresight, time travel ancient aliens, and many other theories come to mind.

modern astronautSalamanca, Spain is known for two cathedrals, and one of them may be one of the oldest cathedrals in Europe, the Catedral Vieja, constructed in around the mid-12th century. The other one is the Catedral Nueva.

The figure of an astronaut appears on one of the entrances of Catedral Nueva. The figure looks like a modern astronaut equipped with a helmet, breathing apparatus and boots. He appears to be grasping on his right hand a vine acting as harness running across his waist while his left hand seems to be grasping a nearby leaf for support.

It is a fact that astronauts did not exist throughout the construction of the cathedral until it was completely done. However, the cathedral underwent a restoration in 1992 because of the significant damage over the past few centuries of the Puerta de Ramos, the name of the Catedral Nueva’s entrance.

Stonemason Miguel Romero reportedly added the current astronaut figure, which possibly supervised by Jeronimo Garcia de Quiñones.
(http://newstimeliner.com/2017/04/08/con ... cathedral/)

maybe the church has as good stonemasons as painters like arnold friberg

using the word "mason" is a happenstance

fyi, here is the quaker style:
.Image.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

D&C 1 wrote:Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same

Thus saith the Lord through my prophet, seer, and revelator, even the Patriarch of my church, there are men on the moon dressed as Quakers and my servants shall take the gospel to them. For behold, and lo, the Lord is God, and the Spirit beareth record.

Amen.