A few questions for Shulem

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

A few questions for Shulem

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Shulem wrote:
I've read Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith several times and recall him offering his ideas and opinions about a variety of things and he makes that quite clear. But when it's not his opinion he states his authority and proclaims things in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Spirit. Consider Smith's authoritative claims regarding Facsimile No. 2. What does he say?

Joseph Smith wrote:The above translation is given as far as we have any right to give at the present time.

This statement is inscribed by Willard Richards. Between late 1841 and early 1842, correct? There are no earlier iterations that have survived. And it was copied from a prior draft made at another time, right?

Is it a direct quote from Joseph Smith? Can the dots...words...be connected directly to him?

If not, should we conclude that this statement is authoritative?

On the other hand, is it reasonable to conclude/hypothesize that this statement was made under, as you say, "his authority and proclaims things in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Spirit"?

What is the provenance of this statement?

Regards,
MG
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: A few questions for Shulem

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Niiiiiiiice! See it's easy to not be [deleted] in all the threads! Come on Shulem, I too would like to understand this actually....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Post by _sock puppet »

Shulem wrote:I've read Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith several times and recall him offering his ideas and opinions about a variety of things and he makes that quite clear. But when it's not his opinion he states his authority and proclaims things in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Spirit. Consider Smith's authoritative claims regarding Facsimile No. 2. What does he say?

Joseph Smith wrote:The above translation is given as far as we have any right to give at the present time.

mentalgymnast wrote:This statement is inscribed by Willard Richards. Between late 1841 and early 1842, correct? There are no earlier iterations that have survived. And it was copied from a prior draft made at another time, right?

Is it a direct quote from Joseph Smith? Can the dots...words...be connected directly to him?
What if isn't? The LDS church publishes it as part of its canonical scripture? Own it, [personal attack deleted].

mentalgymnast wrote:If not, should we conclude that this statement is authoritative?

Own it, [personal attack deleted]--or do you realize, whether you include JSjr or not, all the "prophets, seers and revelators" of Mormonism are parading around with hollow, meaningless titles? If you are LDS, then own your scripture. If your not, what the hell are you? Again, own it [personal attack deleted].
mentalgymnast wrote:On the other hand, is it reasonable to conclude/hypothesize that this statement was made under, as you say, "his authority and proclaims things in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Spirit"?

What is the provenance of this statement?
That's rich coming from a believer, who apparently doesn't have the gonads to own what he professes to believe.

MG, you are every derogatory thing you've ever been called on this board.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

sock puppet wrote:Own it, [personal attack deleted].

Again, own it [personal attack deleted].

Apparently you don't have any useful answers to my questions. Philo and I will wait to hear from Shulem.

Thanks for chiming in anyway.

Regards,
MG
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

mentalgymnast wrote:
sock puppet wrote:Own it, [personal attack deleted]

Again, own it [personal attack deleted].

Apparently you don't have any useful answers to my questions. Philo and I will wait to hear from Shulem.

Thanks for chiming in anyway.

Regards,
MG

Why do you have to respond? It’s like you’re trolling your own thread. :lol:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It's his way of bearing testimony that his trolling is true...... :wink:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Philo Sofee wrote:It's his way of bearing testimony that his trolling is true...... :wink:

At this point I will wait to hear from Shulem.

Regards,
MG
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

You’ll probably be drinking a dozen bottles of root beer waiting for Shulem to enter this thread.

In the meantime, might I offer an alternative topic? What are your thoughts on ex-Mormons claims they are happier since leaving the church?
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I hope that Paul does answer MG's questions. He is one of the most knowledgable historians on this board. And he knows the Book of Abraham, flaws and all, like the back of his hand. He has done extensive research. I'm really glad he's posting in the Terrestrial Forum again.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB