Facsimile No. 3 printing plate reveals jackal head Anubis

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Facsimile No. 3 printing plate reveals jackal head Anubi

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Shulem wrote:
Based on what you see in the enlarged woodcut plate, do you sense that there was a jackal nose originally carved and afterward removed? Which way do you tend to lean knowing what you know right now? On a scale of 1-10: 1 being there is no way there was a nose and 10 being there was most certainly a nose.

Given what I know of similar vignettes I give it about an 8-9 that is exactly what was there, but given how few of these there are that could be compared to see, it may not be possible to determine for sure.

Have you read the essay I linked by Lanny Bell? He makes a strong case for inclined figure in Facsimile #1 as having two raised hands. He is not suggesting that this is Abraham defending himself from a knife but suggests it is plausible that the raised hands are simply welcoming his spirit back.

If this were true it would be a unique drawing, which, in and of itself means nothing, but we also could be looking at a really strange way to draw Anubis.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Substantial work, Shulem. (Consults peepstone) I see a scholarly presentation in your future. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Shulem wrote:
Based on what you see in the enlarged woodcut plate, do you sense that there was a jackal nose originally carved and afterward removed? Which way do you tend to lean knowing what you know right now? On a scale of 1-10: 1 being there is no way there was a nose and 10 being there was most certainly a nose.

Given what I know of similar vignettes I give it about an 8-9 that is exactly what was there, but given how few of these there are that could be compared to see, it may not be possible to determine for sure.

Have you read the essay I linked by Lanny Bell? He makes a strong case for inclined figure in Facsimile #1 as having two raised hands. He is not suggesting that this is Abraham defending himself from a knife but suggests it is plausible that the raised hands are simply welcoming his spirit back.

If this were true it would be a unique drawing, which, in and of itself means nothing, but we also could be looking at a really strange way to draw Anubis.

It's my understand fac 1 image is a later resurrection scene. While not the most common, it is not unknown. I'm open to it being another hand, but it does look more like a wing to this biased view.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Shulem wrote:
deacon blues wrote:Awesome Shulem, just awesome.

Thank you!

[ ] 1 (definitely no)
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4
[ ] 5
[ ] 6
[ ] 7
[ ] 8
[ ] 9
[ ] 10 (definitely yes)

I would go 8-9 as well.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I’d say 8.9 heh, heh
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I'd say 3-4.... :wink:

Come on man! You KNOW you expected that, you KNOW IT! :lol:

Seriously I agree with the 8-9 range also. It's secondary evidence without the original, to be sure, but with all the other images of Anubis in existence, and that single ear man. That single tall ear. That definitely tilts the probability heavily in favor of being Anubis.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:Seriously I agree with the 8-9 range also. It's secondary evidence without the original, to be sure, but with all the other images of Anubis in existence, and that single ear man. That single tall ear. That definitely tilts the probability heavily in favor of being Anubis.

Yes, that single tall ear that is so glaringly obvious! That wonderful ear! It reminds me of how happy Santa was when he discovered Rudolph's red nose!

Merry Christmas Mormon Discussions from Anubis the black-eared-jackal!

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Let's not forget both figures utilize the empire waist style. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:Substantial work, Shulem. (Consults peepstone) I see a scholarly presentation in your future. :wink:

Woodcut high definition:
http://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/facsimile-printing-plates-circa-23-february-16-may-1842/3

Peek at the jackal eye! This eye seems more fitting for an animal head compared to the eyes had by the other characters in the woodcut. See also the Facsimile. I trust this will add to the investigation.

:wink:

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. If you open it up and zoom in you can really make out an animal's head:

Also, you note:

That where there are chisel marks there could've been another ear. If you look at many depictions of Anubis the chisel marks appear to have chipped something out of that spot.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.