Facsimile No. 3 printing plate reveals jackal head Anubis

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Facsimile No. 3 printing plate reveals jackal head Anubi

Post by _Themis »

Shulem wrote:
Well said, Themis. Well said.

Robert baby, come over to Mormon Discussions so Shulem can kick your ass!

:twisted:

You so need to have your ass kicked!

Yes Robert, come on over. I promise Shulem will be nice of you do.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

When did this adaption theory start and what empirical evidence that this kind of thing occurred.Klaus had words to say about Nibley's Sed Festival argument.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

aussieguy55 wrote:When did this adaption theory start and what empirical evidence that this kind of thing occurred.Klaus had words to say about Nibley's Sed Festival argument.

Is the "Adaption Theory" the official name Mopologists are calling this now?

I guess the "Adaption Theory" sounds better than the "Joseph Smith Chiseling Theory" even though it's not more accurate.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

This gem from John Gee

"So from Shulem’s name and title and we can surmise the following: From the form of his name, we know that Shulem lived during the late Middle Kingdom or the Second Intermediate Period. Shulem was not a native Egyptian. He was probably a first generation immigrant. He served in the court of a Fourteenth Dynasty ruler, who was probably not a native Egyptian either. If we had the entire translation of the Book of Abraham, we might be able to see how Shulem might have fit into the story or know more about him."

https://www.mormoninterpreter.com/shule ... l-waiters/

I reckon Ritner must be laughing that he got off his PHd committee.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
aussieguy55 wrote:When did this adaption theory start and what empirical evidence that this kind of thing occurred.Klaus had words to say about Nibley's Sed Festival argument.

Is the "Adaption Theory" the official name Mopologists are calling this now?

I guess the "Adaption Theory" sounds better than the "Joseph Smith Chiseling Theory" even though it's not more accurate.

The "Adoption Theory" is fatally flawed, DOA. It's a desperate last stand made by today's apologists before the Facsimiles finally get pulled from the canon. It's a very long straw that provides no oxygen. It's an apologetic tactic to confuse the issue and brush everything aside while making a Hail Mary pass.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

John Gee wrote:If we had the entire translation of the Book of Abraham, we might be able to see how Shulem might have fit into the story or know more about him.

Enough of the nonsense, John. Just stop. Stop! You're killing yourself. This is unhealthy. Don't you get tired of this crap? Look, friend, we have Joseph Smith's entire translation:

Facsimile No. 3 wrote:Image

Fig. 5. Shulem, one of the king’s principal waiters, as represented by the characters above his hand.

So, tell me John, how do you spell "SHULEM"? Can you point to the hieroglyphs above Fig. 5 and show me how they spell SHULEM? Give me the transliteration, please.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

No wonder Gee is leaving the Maxwell and they are looking for a niche somewhere for him.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

aussieguy55 wrote:Is "Shulem "represented by the characters above his hand? I understand the names can be read and match the Egyptian characters for Isis etc. Why is the Prince holding his hand? Again the Princes' name is supposed to be above his hand?

Robert F. Smith did not answer your questions. Not. At. All:

Robert F. Smith wrote:As in all Egyptian illustrations of this type, the captions overhead identify the players (as in a modern cartoon). It is all fairly cut and dried. You can find standard translations of all the papyri online at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_Papyri . That doesn't tell you everything you need to know, but it is a good start.

Mormons are often incapable of answering with a simple "yes" or a "no" but love to deviate and spin webs of evil in which they refuse to come to terms. You can be sure that Robert knows the name Shulem is not written in the hieroglyphic writing as the early Mormons believed when they felt the Holy Ghost bear testimony to their souls that Joseph Smith was truly translating Egyptian from the papyrus just as he did from the gold plates.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Shulem wrote:
aussieguy55 wrote:Is "Shulem "represented by the characters above his hand? I understand the names can be read and match the Egyptian characters for Isis etc. Why is the Prince holding his hand? Again the Princes' name is supposed to be above his hand?

Robert F. Smith did not answer your questions. Not. At. All:

Robert F. Smith wrote:As in all Egyptian illustrations of this type, the captions overhead identify the players (as in a modern cartoon). It is all fairly cut and dried. You can find standard translations of all the papyri online at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_Papyri . That doesn't tell you everything you need to know, but it is a good start.

Mormons are often incapable of answering with a simple "yes" or a "no" but love to deviate and spin webs of evil in which they refuse to come to terms. You can be sure that Robert knows the name Shulem is not written in the hieroglyphic writing as the early Mormons believed when they felt the Holy Ghost bear testimony to their souls that Joseph Smith was truly translating Egyptian from the papyrus just as he did from the gold plates.

Who is Robert F. Smith anyway. He comes across as some kind of academic, but the only publications of his that I can find are on FAIR. Does anyone know his background?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

sunstoned wrote:Who is Robert F. Smith anyway. He comes across as some kind of academic, but the only publications of his that I can find are on FAIR. Does anyone know his background?

A fanatic who is totally immersed in symbolic parallelism and fantasy not grounded in logic or reality as he attempts to connect Joseph Smith's revelations with conventional Egyptology. He thinks that expressing various facets of Egyptian art and religion ties Smith's version of Egyptology to truth -- he uses and expresses symbolism and representationalism in order to justify the Book of Abraham translation but the whole process is wild and the outcome is a total sham.

It's not worth your time to dive into his convoluted spiderweb and sink into an abyss of nonsense unless you want to get yourself sick. Go ahead, explore, but you'll be sorry you did.

Beware:

A Brief Assessment Of The Lds Book Of Abraham: by ©Robert F. Smith March 21, 2019