Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: Elder Christofferson on Age of Missionary Eligibilty

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

wow who was the lazy idiot that uploaded the video? Hopefully the idiot uploads the original, and hopefully there is more of Christofferson s***
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Christofferson said, "I alway had the faith that he does lead the church and faith continues...but I now have the experience to go with the faith that he does directly" LOL what the Hell was that? For how long did Christofferson had faith before getting a religious experience?
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Thanks Kish! It is a very good video. Hopefully it makes it to Mormon quotes at MormonThink.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

cwald wrote:Is this a significant development?

In my view, it is further confirmation that there is a new way of describing prophetic revelation in Mormonism. We laughed about Eyring’s odd tear-filled description of it. Now we see the Lord’s boardroom is the new face of Mormon prophecy and revelation. I suppose that beats President Newsroom!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Christofferson said, "I alway had the faith that he does lead the church and faith continues...but I now have the experience to go with the faith that he does directly" LOL what the Hell was that? For how long did Christofferson had faith before getting a religious experience?

No doubt he is sincere, and how fascinating it is! The divine corporation is at the helm, bringing greater returns on the Savior’s investments. Let there be real estate developments! Let there be stocks and bonds! Let us tweak the age of missionaries, and find a cheaper way to clean the Lord’s meetinghouses!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Kishkumen wrote:No doubt he is sincere, and how fascinating it is! The divine corporation is at the helm, bringing greater returns on the Savior’s investments. Let there be real estate developments! Let there be stocks and bonds! Let us tweak the age of missionaries, and find a cheaper way to clean the Lord’s meetinghouses!

Yes, and I like when Christofferson said, "and he lets struggle, go back and forth, think things through, hear and listen to each other ... much as it is in a ward and stake council...so I think that is why he doesn't answer every question or reveal himself on every issue immediately, he wants us to learn from that experience "

In other words I think he is saying that revelation works by trial and error. Poor guy.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Yes, and I like when Christofferson said, "and he lets struggle, go back and forth, think things through, hear and listen to each other ... much as it is in a ward and stake council...so I think that is why he doesn't answer every question or reveal himself on every issue immediately, he wants us to learn from that experience "

In other words I think he is saying that revelation works by trial and error. Poor guy.

Yes, one would almost think he wasn’t even there, so light was his touch, so gentle his reply . . .
_QuestionEverything
_Emeritus

Post by _QuestionEverything »

Kishkumen wrote:
cwald wrote:Is this a significant development?

In my view, it is further confirmation that there is a new way of describing prophetic revelation in Mormonism. We laughed about Eyring’s odd tear-filled description of it. Now we see the Lord’s boardroom is the new face of Mormon prophecy and revelation. I suppose that beats President Newsroom!

Here is a quote from Hinckley's interview with Larry King in 2004 that explicitly confirms what you and the others here are stating:

KING: You are the prophet, right?
HINCKLEY: Right.
KING: Does that mean that, according to the church canon, the Lord speaks through
you?
HINCKLEY: I think he makes his will manifest, yes.
KING: So if you change things, that's done by an edict given to you.
HINCKLEY: Yes, sir.
KING: How do you receive it?
HINCKLEY: Well, various ways. It isn't necessarily a voice heard. Impressions come. The building of this very building I think is an evidence of that. There came an impression, a feeling, that we need to enlarge our facilities where we could hold our conferences. And it was a very bold measure. We had to tear down a big building here and put this building up at great cost. But goodness sakes, what a wonderful thing it's proven to be. It is an answer to many, many needs. And I think it's the result of inspiration.
KING: And that came from something higher than you.
HINCKLEY: I think so.
Larry King Interview, Dec. 26, 2004
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Kish, you seem to have missed the whole "hastening the work" thing. No links to drop but if you hunt around you can find them I'm sure. Pre age change there was a lot of build up about this change before it was officially announced. Very big yet vague talk about a revelation related to missionary work and changes coming so bold and revolutionary that it would blow people's minds and serve as physical proof that the church is true and really is led by a prophet, etc.

Apostles went on a speaking tour saying stuff like this, literally. Haven't listened to the audio in the OP, but I expect this was from one of those speaking events. One out of dozens, maybe even hundred+ that happened church wide. I was the ward mission leader at the time and attended such an event myself. There was a big global conference/fireside about it as well that got broadcast online and in meeting houses. Might still be archived on lds.org. Then it turned out the "revelation" was an age change and missionaries getting ipads. Underwhelming to say the least. As I recall this was one of Bill Reel's shelf breaking items. In at least one of his podcasts he talks about this and the whole thing seemed to inspire a more cynical turn for him.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Water Dog wrote:Kish, you seem to have missed the whole "hastening the work" thing. No links to drop but if you hunt around you can find them I'm sure. Pre age change there was a lot of build up about this change before it was officially announced. Very big yet vague talk about a revelation related to missionary work and changes coming so bold and revolutionary that it would blow people's minds and serve as physical proof that the church is true and really is led by a prophet, etc.

Apostles went on a speaking tour saying stuff like this, literally. Haven't listened to the audio in the OP, but I expect this was from one of those speaking events. One out of dozens, maybe even hundred+ that happened church wide. I was the ward mission leader at the time and attended such an event myself. There was a big global conference/fireside about it as well that got broadcast online and in meeting houses. Might still be archived on lds.org. Then it turned out the "revelation" was an age change and missionaries getting ipads. Underwhelming to say the least. As I recall this was one of Bill Reel's shelf breaking items. In at least one of his podcasts he talks about this and the whole thing seemed to inspire a more cynical turn for him.

Thanks for sharing that Water Dog. Since I have been out of the chapel for some time, I managed to miss a lot of this. I vaguely recall what you are saying about Reel. So, I am still left with the feeling that the OP and the video are worthwhile inasmuch as they contribute to our understanding of what counts as a big revelation in the Lord's boardroom. Is that not fair to say?