God's Definition of Family?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

God's Definition of Family?

Post by _Kishkumen »

Sheri Dew made the following statement some years ago:

"Every living human being will have lined up in support of the family as God has defined it or against it. Every living human being will either have opposed the onslaught against the family or supported it. For if we make no choice, that in itself is a choice. If we do not act in behalf of the family, that itself is an act in opposition of the family."

Wow. What a load of hysterical nonsense. But it raises the question: where has God defined the family? I exclude, of course, the "Proclamation to the World on the Family," which was a tailor-made legal concoction for the fight against gay marriage. I am curious, however; where is it that God defined the "family"?

I don't think we can take Genesis as a statement on family so much as reproduction:

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

This is not a commandment but an explanation:

21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

So where is it that we find "God's definition of the family"?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: God's Definition of Family?

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Heh, I never thought of it that way Kish. Indeed, there ought to be something in the scriptures ... curious to see what anyone finds. Of course, by excluding the proclamation of the family due to its political aspect, couldn't we make the same argument for all the rest of scripture? :wink: It's just someone's ancient political/religious/spiritual interpretation as well.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

God on marriage

Not quite the same as family, but god seems ok with slavery. I don't think I like this "God" fellow very much.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

God is called father. The family then is He and then a bunch of kids. oddly enough Jesus is said to be above us and fatherly too. Two male figures.

Maybe the great lie told to us by his other son Lucifer is that we must have a man and woman to make a family.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Did Sister Dew mention the part about God keeping the celestial wives barefoot, pregnant, and nameless?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

Never-Married Childless Maiden Pontificates on the Importance of Nuclear Families; Film at 11.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Darth J wrote:Never-Married Childless Maiden Pontificates on the Importance of Nuclear Families; Film at 11.

Nice to see you, Darth J.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Do Mormons ever have an original thought? From Kish's quote above:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheri_L._Dew

Dew "drew criticism"[33] resulting from remarks she made on February 28, 2004, at a Washington, D.C., meeting of the Family Action Council International,[34] an interfaith group.[35] According to Lee Davidson, a Deseret News reporter who was present, Dew quoted a statement by journalist Dorothy Thompson in 1941:

saying that before World War II would be over, every person would either stand for or against [German dictator Adolf] Hitler—and that trying not to make any choice was in fact making one, for Hitler.

The hypocrite Godwin'd the Gays. Lol.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The Reverend has pointed to another hole in MoTheory. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

I’m just amazed that anyone could treat this as a prescriptive statement. And it really is not a statement about the family per se; it’s an explanation of the origins of a common phenomenon. If it were prescriptive—and it is not—then any culture that brings a wife into the husband’s parents’ home is acting contrary to God’s commandments.

There are so many layers of stupid that contribute to the Christo-fascist prescriptions for family life.

Every biblical passage that is used in this discourse is probably similarly misused.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist