Interesting Article that captures why this site is so great

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Re: Interesting Article that captures why this site is so gr

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Is there some reason why anyone would've read that post on an obscure blog? Also, I'm not sure I'm connecting the blog post to your opening post. Wanna help a brutha out?

- Doc

The blog post discusses why people can’t leave the Church alone even if they have left it. It discusses how people feel betrayed and alone.

As someone who has gone through a faith crisis, I am grateful for Shades’ site because he has given us a venue to discuss our feelings and not feel like we’re the only ones going through this.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Kishkumen wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Is there some reason why anyone would've read that post on an obscure blog? Also, I'm not sure I'm connecting the blog post to your opening post. Wanna help a brutha out?

- Doc

My guess, which could be wrong, is that MormonDiscussions.com is a place where you can continue to process the experience of leaving Mormonism without people endlessly asking the question, "Why can't you just leave the LDS Church alone?"

Hey, we have a lot of practice not leaving the LDS Church alone. It's hardly the kind of thing we would be uncritically judgmental about.

Exactly. :biggrin:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ah, ok. Well, I think we all know by now that the whole 'can't leave the Church alone' thing is just a shaming tactic. I've always found it bizarre, frankly. When someone leaves, say, a political party for another political party, and believe you me this example is more than appropriate for Mormonism, it doesn't mean you lose interest in the former. If anything, you gain more of an interest in it since it's now a de facto opponent.

Mormonism inculcates a missionary zeal in its adherents, and it's no wonder that zeal doesn't ebb when we leave. They created this monster, and they can deal with it. Too bad if their pearl clutching sensibilities are offended.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:So thank you, Shades, for keeping this site available to all of us.

You're very welcome. :-)

As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Dr. Shades wrote:As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

I thought Frank Zappa was the mother of invention?
:lol:

"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I am just happy that you guys accept me for who I am..no one real scholarly or super educated..but living on life experience and finding joy. Thanks for just being there.

I can't go back to reddit...it is like going back into that terrible "first knowing"...and yet I empathize and hope others will find people like you.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Let's not forget about the presence of Nevers. Nevers are people, too.

:biggrin:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:Let's not forget about the presence of Nevers. Nevers are people, too.

:biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Nevers? there is no such thing. I believe the term is 'Eventuals'. Hey, we are gonna get you, dead or alive!

Jersey Girl wrote:Image