Prophet Nelson's Big Announcement

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Prophet Nelson's Big Announcement

Post by _Water Dog »

Nelson seemed to be building things up in the morning session. I expect the unveiling will happen in the afternoon. I predict major change to home and visiting teaching.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Prophet Nelson's Big Announcement

Post by _Shulem »

Water Dog wrote:Nelson seemed to be building things up in the morning session. I expect the unveiling will happen in the afternoon. I predict major change to home and visiting teaching.

The church loves to play around with their time honored programs. They'll just call they by some other name.

I remember once when my stake was to have a special early Saturday morning meeting about how to have effective meetings. Apparently, the meeting was cancelled because of complaints. Imagine having a meeting about how to have meetings. Jesus H Christ the Mormon church is nuts.
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

I predict it will be a new way to do exactly the same thing.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

"My brothers and sisters, Jesus Christ himself appeared to me last night in a wet dream."

_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

So let me get this straight. HT & VT were revealed through revelation and eliminated through revelation. So God does chance his mind.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Actually, I am happy for friends and family that can do away with the particulars of RS vt and home teaching....let this be a just a check in...maybe lunch..and alittle more human without the lessons. This is what Mister Rodgers meant by..It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"..I am happy for them. As a vt coordinator..life was hell!
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

I think if anyone hadn’t caught on, God = The part of the Church that manages all the money.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

The big announcement is that they are doing away with home teaching and visiting teaching and calling Ministers. There is no longer a monthly visit requirement or monthly reports.

Think about what is going on if you are a bishop or a stake president.

Elders quorum and HP quorum leadership in 30,000 wards have now all been released. The SP now has to call new Elders quorum presidents for every ward or branch in his stake. Then the new Elders quorum presidency, along with the bishop now have to assign "Ministering" people to each and every member in each and every ward.

Fun times if you are stuck with all that work.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

An email supposedly going out to all members tonight with details. I didn't watch conference, but from reports it sounds like more than a name change. Unsure if this is good or bad. EQ no longer involved, just the bishop runs it. Ministers are 14 and up. And it seems to primarily be about reactivation and retention.