LDS statement on medical marijuana

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

LDS statement on medical marijuana

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

We commend the Utah Medical Association for its statement of March 30, 2018, cautioning that the proposed Utah marijuana initiative would compromise the health and safety of Utah communities. We respect the wise counsel of the medical doctors of Utah. The public interest is best served when all new drugs designed to relieve suffering and illness and the procedures by which they are made available to the public undergo the scrutiny of medical scientists and official approval bodies.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... initiative

Says a church that doesn't have a position on alternative medicine. All of the sudden the church cares about medical science. I wonder why
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: LDS statement on medical marijuana

Post by _lostindc »

Utah is so ass backwards. The pill epidemic should be enough to encourage medical marijuana. Glad I don’t live in a state like this...
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Utah should give medical marijuana a chance. It isn't addictive like opiates but relieves pain just as well. However, maybe the church fears it's a gateway to consentual immorality .... and where would their population control strategy be if the youth of zion and others participated in that?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

lostindc wrote:Utah is so ass backwards. The pill epidemic should be enough to encourage medical marijuana. Glad I don’t live in a state like this...

Salt Lake County just filed suit against Big Pharma. Where the “F” was the Church when it came to opioids?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Well at least the Utah legislature won’t have to lose any sleep worrying about how to vote now. Thank god they have the church there to do all the thinking and to give them their marching orders.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The First Presidency doesn’t even know what is included or excluded from its own Word Of Wisdom. It shouldn’t be sticking it’s nose into the medical industry.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

I have a question wrote:The First Presidency doesn’t even know what is included or excluded from its own Word Of Wisdom. It shouldn’t be sticking it’s nose into the medical industry.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

We respect the wise counsel of the medical doctors of Utah

Utah doctors are inspired. They are the finest doctors in all 50 states and lead the whole world.

Fine people of Utah will light up regardless of what the church says. Screw the church.

_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Screw the church. We ain't going. It's party time!

_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

I don't get why the Church feels the need to chime in on things like this, particularly since its such a political issue these days.

When they say, "cautioning that the proposed Utah marijuana initiative would compromise the health and safety of Utah communities."

That's just a very political statement to make. What makes them think this? What evidence do they have that this particular initiative will compromise the health and safety of Utah communities?

It seems like others think the UMA, which the Church uses as it's reasoning, is nothing but being politically and financially motivated too. They all make empty statements as if they are telling us what's up, yet they all come off as those with ulterior motives to me.