Celebrating the end of 100 years of LDS Racism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Celebrating the end of 100 years of LDS Racism

Post by _I have a question »

The church’s governing First Presidency said Monday that it will host a “celebration” June 1 at the Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City to mark the 40th anniversary of that revelatory change. The event, details of which are yet to be announced, is to be broadcast from the Conference Center at 7 p.m.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2 ... riesthood/

It is unclear whether the Church, 40 years after its end, will apologise for the period of institutionally sanctioned racism that prevailed up to June 1978.

It’s also unclear why this merits an official ‘event’ whilst last year, 175 years of the Relief Society was not to be celebrated with an official ‘event’.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Celebrating the end of 100 years of LDS Racism

Post by _Maksutov »

An optimistic headline. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Maksutov wrote:An optimistic headline. :wink:

It’s a bit like polygamy, the official end and the actual end are not necessarily the same date....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:

It’s a bit like polygamy, the official end and the actual end are not necessarily the same date....

:biggrin:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

No kidding!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Spin doctoring at its best.

Why not celebrate 161 years since MMM?

Hey look its been 4 decades since we announced we were no longer going to exclude people from our church based on their skin color!

This is just nonsense. If this were truly a joyous celebration it would have been driven by black members from a grassroots level, not old white guys who, even though they claim to talk to God and Jesus" still cannot explain why the restriction happened and cannot produce a written version of the revelation that they claim took the same restriction off.

Without an explanation or even an apology as to why the restriction happened, it's a bad move on their part to draw attention to the day they ended it. They really do not understand social media.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

I saw this on reddit. Can't paste the image here, but here's the link and text.

Some anniversaries are best left alone by an institution. The kind that draw attention to things that you want a pat on the back for, but all they really do is draw attention to how horrible you have been. So, for example, a guy wouldn't announce a big celebration to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the day he stopped beating his wife. If the wife wants to have a party to celebrate her liberation from your idiocy, cool. But you ought to just let the whole thing glide by. ESPECIALLY if you say something like "I'm sure glad that 40 years ago the long-awaited day came when God told me I could stop beating my wife. Oh, but regarding the years that I did beat her, there will be no plausible explanation and certainly no apology forthcoming. God being mysterious and whatnot."
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I wonder if a new Book of Mormon or Book of Abraham will come out with all of the racist language and concepts excised in conjunction with the glorious celebration?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

This is really where the church's PR department needs to have non believers as part of their team who can tell them that in spite of how it looks from within, it looks horrible from the outside.

"Hey guys, I know you thinks this is some sort of joyous day that celebrates God intervening somehow, but the rest of the world is just going to be reminded that you had a racist past that you are still blaming on God."
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Fence Sitter wrote:This is really where the church's PR department needs to have non believers as part of their team who can tell them that in spite of how it looks from within, it looks horrible from the outside.

"Hey guys, I know you thinks this is some sort of joyous day that celebrates God intervening somehow, but the rest of the world is just going to be reminded that you had a racist past that you are still blaming on God."

I thought these guys had an outside PR firm. They really should use them. Or if they did on this one, get a new firm.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951