Dan McCllelan

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Dan McCllelan

Post by _I have a question »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Do you remember Mak (Dan McCllelan)?

He’s a prolific Twitter poster. He’s quite a liberal Democrat, hates Trump with a passion. In fact is running for state legislature for his district in Herriman.

I’m always in favor of politically principled Mormons who see that their faith requires something other than the Republican Party.

He may post a prolific amount (if retweeting is classed as posting that is), but at 800 followers, I’m not putting money on him.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I have a question wrote:He may post a prolific amount (if retweeting is classed as posting that is), but at 800 followers, I’m not putting money on him.

He's a good man and I'm proud to be one of those 800 here.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:He may post a prolific amount (if retweeting is classed as posting that is), but at 800 followers, I’m not putting money on him.

Dan sounds like the kind of politician Utah needs in order to help restore a sense of decency and honor.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

MsJack wrote:

He's a good man and I'm proud to be one of those 800 here.

I would never vote for a politician who chooses to be a politician.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I have a question wrote:I would never vote for a politician who chooses to be a politician.

I'm not sure what that means. Isn't that all of them?

I don't live in his district and couldn't vote for him anyways. Barring some Roy Moore-esque misstep from his Republican opponent, I don't expect he'll win.

But I wish him all the best.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Runtu wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:haha who haven't you met John? :lol:

Never met Dan Peterson, or Russell McGregor, or Steve Smoot ... heck, it's a long list. When I met Dan, I was living in Provo, so it was easy to meet.

I'm on that list, too, damn it!
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

I've had my disagreements with Dan, but as I said before, I think what he's doing is great and I wish him all the best.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

He’s a good guy.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Blixa wrote:He’s a good guy.

Agreed. When he posted here he acted (for the most part) professional and made well-reasoned arguments. I know on several occasions I behaved in a manner that was unbecoming and I'm embarrassed when I look back on my behavior.

I would like to think I've matured enough that if he ever decides to come back I can have professional discussions with him despite our differences.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Dan is probably a nice guy in real life, but he's precisely the type of Mormon I wouldn't vote for. He's intellectually dishonest with himself and others. He tries to advocate for a type of Mormonism that doesn't exist.

Now, if Dan had the integrity to actually take a stand against all the social injustice he talks about and distance himself from the organization that promotes the very things Dan talks against, he'd have my vote 100 times over. Until then, he can keep his day job at the church office and out of my government.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.