FAIRMormon Conference: Mopologists Unhinged

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: FAIRMormon Conference: Mopologists Unhinged

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Tom wrote:Gee: “Now, by comparison, there’s more archaeological evidence for the Book of Abraham than there is for the Documentary Hypothesis, which is so prevalent among Old Testament scholars.” 34:14-26

(I can’t hear any immediate response on the video.)

Archaeological?! He is a silly man, and knows better. Thompson demonstrated with over 400 pages of dense tightly and exhaustive research that there is exactly nothing archaeological in favor of a man named Abraham to even exist. He is pure literary fiction.

Literarily? There is vastly more evidence for the Documentary Hypothesis than there ever will be for a real Abraham, even counting fiction.

Gee is just brainwashed and getting a paycheck.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

MsJack wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Bokovoy is no longer in Mormonism? When did this happen?

He announced on Facebook last week that he was cutting all "professional" ties with the church. The 2015 policy against baptism of children of LGBT parents was part of his reason.

He still identifies as "Mormon." Not sure of the extent of his belief in LDS theology and doctrine anymore.

(This post has been edited.)

Dang, I didn't know that, one of the potential greats in Mormon research is out. Crazy to watch so many academics leave over the years.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The faithful see it as fulfillment of prophecy. Even the very elect shall fall away... They have it set up for a win/win (in their minds), and the gullible continue swilling the Kool Aid. If Russell M. Nelson stood up and confessed it was false as he knows it, nary a stalwart will bat an eye. They'll just say he wanted to go and sin and vote in the next "prophet."
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Tom wrote:Video of Gee’s rather weak and distasteful address is posted here.

Y'all should listen from about 38 min to 47 minute. I tried to transcribe as I listened but probably butchered it a bit. Enjoy.

John Gee (transcribed) wrote:Now, if Moroni was not an actual historical person, who really lived and wrote these words, then he would not appear at the bar of god, and the writer of the words was lying. The Book of Mormon is either ancient and historical, or it is a lie. It does not leave the possibility of being pious, inspired, or inspiring fiction, open for itself.

What happens when you bracket, or consistently bracket or reject or refuse to deal with historical authenticity? Then you are bracketing or rejecting an issue that President Oaks has said is fundamental. This demonstrates a lack of integrity. Research indicates that a lack of integrity is one of the two major causes of cynicism. The other is lack of competence. We have scriptural examples for each of these.

For lack of integrity, think of Alma's rebuke of his son. "Behold, oh my son how great iniquity you brought upon the Zoramites. For when they saw your conduct, they would not believe in my words."

For competence, think of Solomon's son Rehoboam. People came to Rehoboam and asked for relief on an oppressive tax burden. The older men advised Rehoboam to cut the taxes. Rehoboam, the entitled brat that he was, asked his fellow entitled brats their opinion, and they responded he should ask for more. This I believe is referred to as the Art of the Deal. And it is typically a negotiating maneuver used by unions. Rehoboam followed this advice with predictable consequences. The ten tribes rebelled, and Rehoboam ended up with less money to spend than if he had cut taxes in the first place. This demonstrates gross incompetence, not only of Rehoboam, but his advisers. So that's competence.

Now we can see in the church, sometimes, the results of local leaders or other individuals who are either incompetent or lack of integrity. The results can be a disillusionment, resulting from a failure of specific institutions to meet high expectations. When people trust, and that trust is exploited, they become more cynical. Common to most definitions of cynicism, is the belief that others lacks integrity and cannot be trusted.

The observation of self-interested behavior on the part of leaders, leads to a sense of betrayal, and is also caused when someone perceives that the organization has failed to meet its obligation. Such as the violation of organizational procedures, which reads to reactions such as anger, outrage, distrust, and resentment. It can also be caused when an individual holds unrealistically high expectations which are subsequently unmet. Those who have lost trust, often accuse the church of failing to communicate important information.

Honest and frequent communication generates perceptions of fairness, and trust. Failure to communicate important information, in contrast, particularly during times of organizational unrest, violates the contract, resulting in unmet expectations, fear, distrust, and ultimately cynicism. Moreover, attempts by management to deny well crafted rumors serve only to exacerbate individuals contempt and distrust towards management. Although individuals may feel that the church has been hiding something, in most cases, it is not a matter of the church failing to communicate, but the individual's failing to pay attention. This is general, not specific.

More prominent in members of the church, than loss of trust, is taking offense. Individuals consider the nature of their treatment as a criterion for fairness.

[more victim blaming, those who opposite historicity are a bunch of offended babies]

Now I understand being offended by failures of integrity and competence. A number of church members I have run across over the years have, through lack of integrity or competence, done a lot of things to offend me. But I do not have to shut myself out of heaven just because they want to go to hell.

Although I find their actions extremely offensive, I refuse to allow their offensive behavior to interfere with my keeping my covenants. Covenants, after all, are not something that gets in the way of what we are trying to do. They are what we are trying to do.

If the records of the covenants given to Abraham are not historically authentic, or the records of the keeping of covenants, or God's fulfillment of the covenants, what basis do we have for assuming that God will fulfill his promises to us? If those who deny the historical authenticity of the scriptures really believe that, why on earth would they expect God to keep his promises to them?

This issue, as President Oaks has pointed out, is fundamental. If we consistently bracket, reject, or refuse to deal with historical authenticity in order to appeal to those in The Great and Spacious Building, we legitimately invite the cynicism which will surely greet such efforts.

In doing so, we sell our birthright, scriptures that are historically authentic, for a mess of plaudits.

Elder Packer addressed this directly, "Do not yield your faith in payment for an advanced degree or for the recognition and acclaim of the world. For what profiteth it a man if he to gain his degree and lose his soul?"

Above all we should defend historical authenticity because events in scripture actually took place. These are records of real people, who really spoke with God, and really saw God, and really made covenants with God, and really kept covenants with God, and really received the promises of God. We should defend the historical authenticity of the Book of Mormon, and the Book of Abraham, because it is defending the truth. Why would we want to bracket the truth?

During Q&A he's asked about whether he has ever received a spiritual witness of the Book of Abraham. He says No. Then continues,

John Gee (transcribed) wrote:...I don't think that you particularly need one... the other thing is, I am a scholar, I am an Egyptologist, I work in ancient history all the time. The Lord expects me to do a lot more homework on this than he does you. So, um, but the Book of Abraham is true. You don't need to worry about that.

:eek:

Ok. I don't want to be a jerk. I want to be polite, mostly because several of you seem to be friends with Bokovoy and like him. I'm not impressed. I'll try putting it like this. I don't know Bokovoy. I've observed him a little over the years, though, examples such as THIS and THIS. A few interactions online. He seems like a nice guy. Very intelligent. And he also seems really soft.

This spectacle is interesting to witness because it tells me what I need to know about apologetics. I wasn't around to witness all the FARMS wars. I get it. This is dirty. John Gee, wow, this is a "scholar?" The truth of the church is resting, in part, on this guy's shoulders? Wew.

It's also classic Mormonism. I've never witnessed an academic at a conference pop off like this, but I've witnessed plenty of calls to repent in other settings, during sacrament or priesthood. This is so Mormony the way it's confrontational, yet passive aggressive. What an ass. #NotACult Throwing shade, clearly at Bokovoy, crapping all over him in public like this.

At the same time, I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for Bokovoy. Boy, he sure has let himself be taken for quite a ride, hasn't he? From the sounds of it, he's still in the church? If the youtube comments are to be trusted, just months ago he was apparently teaching seminary and bearing witness to the historicity of the Book of Mormon to young impressionable minds. SMH. He's an Uncle Tom. After all this, they still own him. He helps them spread the disease and enslave others.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Probably “a mess of plaudits.”
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

What got me more than anything was Gee saying that we are "going to hell" and there seemed to be glee in the audience in the idea that critics are going to burn and suffer for opposing the Book of Abraham. You'd think that if one of us was caught showing up at their conference there would be a lynching. That is a dangerous crowd in my opinion.

Doesn't the Book of Mormon teach we are going to hell too? I'm pretty sure it's in there. Watch out for the Mormon cult!
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Kishkumen wrote:Probably “a mess of plaudits.”

Thanks.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

holey Scholies what a pile of crap. He reiterated his belief over and over, gave a few GA quotes that smack of hating people who ask questions, or read a book or two, makes that ungodly comment about the Book of Abraham having more evidence than the D H, and then ends with "the Book of Abraham is true, trust me".

People paid to go and listen to him. I took a good 30 minutes to listen on my drive this morning. What a complete waste.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Stem wrote:holey Scholies what a pile of crap. He reiterated his belief over and over, gave a few GA quotes that smack of hating people who ask questions, or read a book or two, makes that ungodly comment about the Book of Abraham having more evidence than the DH, and then ends with "the Book of Abraham is true, trust me".

People paid to go and listen to him. I took a good 30 minutes to listen on my drive this morning. What a complete waste.

That had to be the worst presentation ever. Basically, he was saying that the thinking has already been done and not to worry your pretty little heads over it.

Who said Mormonism isn't a cult? Wow, just wow. The man has sold his soul to the devil.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Literarily? There is vastly more evidence for the Documentary Hypothesis than there ever will be for a real Abraham, even counting fiction.

Gee is just brainwashed and getting a paycheck.

It gets me so freaking worked up when I encounter such intellectual dishonesty from Mormonism as a whole. It just sets me off. Their apologetics is so blatantly dishonest -- it's utterly immoral. It makes me scream and lash out like a crazy man, I know.

Regarding David BOKOVOY, my encounters with him were positive and he seemed like a fun person. I wish him well and hope he gets out of the cult.