Sam Young's Excommunication Notice

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Sam Young's Excommunication Notice

Post by _Jersey Girl »

As expected. Here it is.

Excommunication Notice

Tonight, two long-term friends of mine delivered this notice to my home.

Dear Sam,

This letter is a formal notice that the stake presidency will convene a formal disciplinary council in your behalf, the result of which includes the possibility of excommunication, disfellowshipment, formal probation, or no action. The reason for this council is that you are reported to have acted repeatedly in clear, open and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders. You have, among other things:

Encouraged others to vote opposed to Church leaders.

Organized more than one public “action” that expressed opposition to the Church or its leaders.

We will convene the council at 6pm on Sunday, September 9 at the Lexington Building in the stake offices. If you are not able to attend at this date and time, please let me know as soon as practicable.

You are invited to attend this disciplinary council to give your response to the above. Although we welcome your attendance, it is not required; you may also submit your response in writing. Whether you attend is of course your choice.

Disciplinary councils are sacred, confidential, ecclesiastical proceedings. If you do choose to attend your attendance and participation are conditioned upon your agreement to respect the process and abide by the standards governing the proceeding, including the following conditions:

Everyone who attends the council including you and me, will sign an acknowledgment that the council will be conducted privately and confidentially and will not be recorded in any form. Anyone unwilling to do so will not be allowed to be present at the council. If you decline, you will not be allowed to be present, and any statement on your behalf to the council will have to the submitted in writing.

You may call witnesses, one at a time, whose testimony is relevant to the issues I have set out above. However, any such witnesses must be identified to me in writing by name, ward and stake, at least three days in advance. You must also provide to me, in advance and in writing, a description of the subject matter on which they will testify and the content of their testimony. In order to offer testimony, witnesses must be members of the Church in good standing. I will abide by these same rules in regards to any witnesses that I may call.

Any proposed testimony from witnesses must relate to the specific issues described above.
I anticipate that it will take about 15 minutes for the evidence in support of the above issues to be presented to the council. You will be afforded three times that, or 45 minutes, to give your response.

As mentioned above, if you choose not to attend the council in person, you may submit a written response that will be read to the council. I will read your statement word-for-word, without any comment from me, for up to 45 minutes.

I feel inclined to let you know that, if it is your ultimate desire and if you wish to avoid this process entirely you have the option to request that your name be removed from the records of the Church. If you should make such a request, the council will be cancelled, and I will work with you to supply all of the information that you need to bring about that result.

Sam, I know that Heavenly Father lives and loves you. We are his children. His work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. I know that His son Jesus Christ is central to God’s plan to help us return to Him and live with our family forever. The atonement of Jesus Christ is real. He is our Savior and Redeemer. No matter the course you decide to take in this life, and no matter the outcome of this disciplinary council, as His representative in the stake where you reside, I stand ready to help you and your family in any way that I can. I will be here to meet with you and to work with you to help stregnthen your relationship with Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. My hope is that you will choose to change your course and to return to the covenant path.

Sincerely,
President Houston Texas South Stake

Fast 23 days. Stand up to protect children. Speak out against a dreadful policy. Work to help the healing of countless kids who were severely wounded behind closed doors. Document the horrors. Apologize.

And what do you get? Excommunication! After all, we are the Mormons. At least we used to be.

https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2 ... on-notice/
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Sam Young's Excommunication Notice

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The above was posted to Facebook and linked to the blog.
Chinese Proverb
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I like the new confidentiality agreement the church is trying to force people to agree to. I wonder if they'll make underaged kids sign those prior to being asked how they masturbate by middle aged men?
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I’m guessing this is a local matter?

The Church has to do this with activist members, so that they can be portrayed as angry and bitter ex members. Any member who supports Protect LDS Children should immediately stop paying tithing and fulfilling callings as a show of support for Sam and continue with that embargo unless or until he is reinstated and his proposals acted upon. If 1 million tithe payers did that, the Brethren would sit up and take proper notice. And I suspect the refusal to serve would hurt them more than the financial loss.

It’s worth noting Joseph L. Bishop remains a member in good standing.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Two long-term friends ...
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I have a question wrote:I’m guessing this is a local matter?

The Church has to do this with activist members, so that they can be portrayed as angry and bitter ex members. Any member who supports Protect LDS Children should immediately stop paying tithing and fulfilling callings as a show of support for Sam and continue with that embargo unless or until he is reinstated and his proposals acted upon. If 1 million tithe payers did that, the Brethren would sit up and take proper notice. And I suspect the refusal to serve would hurt them more than the financial loss.

It’s worth noting Joseph L. Bishop remains a member in good standing.

A tithing and calling strike is a great idea. The leaders only have the authority the members give them.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Mormon BISHOP SAM YOUNG FACING EXCOMMUNICATION FOR WANTING TO STOP SEXUALLY EXPLICIT INTERVIEWS OF CHILDREN

https://www.newsweek.com/mormon-bishop- ... ws-1096856

Think about that headline.

The Church is going to excommunicate a Church member for trying to stop unrelated adult males from asking minors sexually explicit questions. But isn’t going to excommunicate a Missionary Training Centre President who sexually abused female missionaries.

Is that really the kind of institution you want to carry on funding and supporting with your time and effort?

From the comments:
My prepubescent son was told by a Mormon bishop that his broken back was not healing because he was commiting the sin of masturbation. He did not even know what the word meant. This has had a lasting and damaging effect upon him. Our story is true and is one of many where non-professionals are able to use their leadership in ways that can be exploitative and harmful.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

And once again we see how the Church system of punishment allows leadership to avoid facing any difficult questions by charging people with "opposition to church leaders".

They will not allow him to show cause why such opposition was necessary. He has already been convicted of it by his local leadership. There isn't a "council" where both sides are going to be heard, this is a hearing in which Sam has two choices, obey or be punished.

Kangaroo courts at their finest.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

If you want a pretty good snapshot of how current Ziontologists view Sam Young and what he's doing please read this article and the subsequent comments section:

https://www.millennialstar.org/guest-po ... lly-after/

Guest post: what is Sam Young’s true cause?

Posted on July 31, 2018 by Millennial Star Editors

By: the Pseudonymous George Rasmussen

A Houston businessman named Sam Young is currently staging a hunger strike on the sidewalks of Salt Lake City. Young describes himself as an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but I will leave it to you, gentle reader, to determine for yourself what the evidence shows.

Young is hoping to exert sufficient pressure on the Church to force the adoption of his demands. Please note that the Church put out a statement on Sunday that says Church leaders have met with Sam and that the Church will not be caving.

What are his demands? It is difficult to be sure because they have changed so much over the years, but we have some indication from a petition from October 2017:

“We call on the LDS Church to immediately cease the practice of subjecting children to questions about masturbation, orgasm, ejaculation, sexual positions or anything else of a sexual nature. This applies to all children up to and including age 17. There should be no one-on-one interviews with children. A parent or other trusted adult of the child’s choosing is to be present. We call on the LDS Church to publicly disavow this practice. We call on the LDS Church to ensure that all congregational leaders, as well the general membership, are informed that this practice is prohibited.”

(Readers, please note that Church policy clearly states that bishopric members may ask about chastity during temple recommend interviews. Children from the ages of 12 to 17 are asked if they follow the law of chastity, just as adults are asked. Claims that bishoprics are asking detailed sexual questions of members are wildly exaggerated, but all bishoprics have been informed of this issue. Bishopric members always have another adult nearby when doing temple recommends. It is clear that Sam Young has grabbed on to a cause that will bring him attention, but as this post will show, we have reason to doubt his sincerity on this and other issues because of his constant complaints about many Church practices.)

This petition is the first exposure most people had to Sam Young, but it wasn’t the start of his activism against LDS doctrines, teachings and practices. Young describes on his website how he lost his testimony in 2014. “Over the past couple of years, unexpected philosophical developments have shaken my life. They have been quite disconcerting.” He tells a tail of being set adrift and of being lonely and scared. He recollects that his family and friends couldn’t understand what he was going through.

In October 2015, Young began participating in the Mormon Stories Podcast Community on Facebook to work through his issues with the Church. That infamous page was started by Young supporter and friend, (prominent excommunicated podcaster) John Dehlin. The group is primarily populated by thousands of disaffected former or soon to be former members of the Church. Over the course of 2015, he says that he became more and more disillusioned with the Church. But, in February 2016 he made the choice to “follow Christ.” He did this in spite of the fact that he acknowledges that he doesn’t know if Christ really exists.

In order to understand Sam Young, one must recognize the perspective he set forth on May 19, 2016. In this post, he complained that he wasn’t be afforded his full rights as a citizen of the Church. “Jesus wants me to be an active part of the governance of His church…. In my church, I am a citizen not a subject!” On May 26, 2016, he expanded this by stating that, “Jesus values me and my opinion as an equity partner in his earthly organization.” I have seen him complain on countless occasions that based on his historic service in callings and his contributions of tithing that he should be afforded meaningful input and influence on Church teachings and practices.

Often, Young can be seen complaining that he was ready to “quit the Mormon Church!!!” over its teachings on gay marriage, but a gay friend told him to stay and perhaps effect change. So he did. This is where his public advocacy really started. Starting in the summer of 2016, Young has been voting opposed to the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve at every conference of the Church he could attend. This started as a protest against Church doctrines regarding homosexual behavior and homosexual marriage, but soon blossomed to dozens of complaints against the Church. His reaction to the Handbook changes leaked by Aaron Brown in November 2015 was so violent that Young’s wife threatened to divorce him. This was his core cause.

At his most recent stake conference, Young exulted in the opportunity to sit front and center to vote opposed to the 12 with Elder Christofferson in attendance, and then complained that members of his stake didn’t seem enthused at his action. He complained bitterly online about how the congregation didn’t pat him on the back for his bravery.

In late 2016, I was surprised to learn that Sam had a temple recommend and was using it (occasionally). I had been watching his posts in the Mormon Stories groups for more than a year at that time and was shocked. He had shared his disbelief in all of the Church’s truth claims, and was candid that he was only in the Church due to family concerns. He clearly didn’t sustain the brethren and prophets, seers and revelators, and described Christ and the atonement as a fairy tale. He loudly cheered when his wife would do things that signaled baby steps away from the Church. He spoke about removing his garment, he spoke of breaking the word of wisdom; he applauded those leaving the Church.

Then, in January, 2017, he turned in his temple recommend. His reasons for doing so were convoluted. He said that he was sacrificing it to build the kingdom of God. It had become a distraction from what he was trying to accomplish in the Church, because members were complaining that he had one, so he gave it up so that he could focus on what he thought was important! At this time, it was that people were leaving the Church because the Church was being mean to them and not giving them a Sunday school class to complain about the things they didn’t like about the Church. I wish I was making this up.

As I mentioned above, through most of 2017, youth interviews were only one of a dozen categories of reasons Young was voting opposed in Church. The first time he ever mentioned it on his blog was on March 19, 2017. It was mentioned a couple of more times as the year progressed, but Young seemed to notice that his audience responded more to these things than they did to his long-winded and convoluted rants about common consent, or to his old, white, straight complaints about homosexual issues. He started focusing on this in October 2017 and put his numerous other complaints on his shelf. He found something with which he could get his 15 minutes, and he started beating that drum; which brings us back to 2018.

As more and more people signed his new petition, and the Church kept not caving, Young decided that he was going to organize a march in Salt Lake City. In a Facebook post that Young later deleted, he updated the demands from his petition to include a call for the entire First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve to resign their positions. Unfortunately, his supporters convinced him that this would make him sound more crazy than normal, so he reluctantly backed down, while privately saying that this is what he wanted. He had been voting opposed to the apostles for a couple of years at this point, so this is not surprising in the least.

For the march, Young hoped to get 1,000 people to walk with him up State Street on the Friday before the April 2018 General Conference. But, on March 26, 2018, the Church stole his thunder and announced changes that would allow youth to bring someone of their choosing into any interview, negating one of his demands. Concurrently, the Church also clarified the interview questions for youth temple recommends and other interviews that addressed the rest of Young’s demands, but neither was everything he wanted. So, instead of declaring victory and going back to Houston, Young doubled down and complained that the Church hadn’t done everything he had demanded and vowed renewed resolve.

This brings us back to the present. What is he doing now? He started a hunger strike and is posting Facebook live videos at a rapid pace. He has set up a camp chair on the sidewalk of South Temple and is issuing open invitations to apostles to come subject themselves to an ambush, consisting of whatever vile words or violent actions Young’s crowd may subject them to. One of Young’s supporters, Mike Norton, has recently offered to pay a cash reward to anyone who could give him details of Pres. Oaks physical whereabouts during a Mormon Stories podcast so that Mr. Norton could physically assault Pres. Oaks. Again, I wish I was making this up.

Also in the “you can’t make this up” category, Young also posted a video on Monday in which he gave $20 to a panhandler, flashing the bill in front of his phone camera in the process.

Young claims that he will finish his hunger strike when the Church caves to his full demands; or when ten currently sitting bishops publicly cave to his demands; or when his wife tells him to stop. (Apparently, she has already approved three weeks starvation.)

As for the Church, their response was sweet and to the point. The statement released points out that these demands have already been addressed and the Church has made changes in recent months (as I discuss above). It goes on to state that “Church leaders at every level — from Sam’s local bishop and stake president to a recent conversation with a general authority — have met with him to express love, to listen and to counsel with him. They have received and reviewed his materials and understand clearly his viewpoint. Further meetings with him are not necessary to clarify his position on this matter.” Clearly they are not going to show up to chat with Sam on some street corner in front of his hostile crowd.

So why is he doing all of this? Having watched him for years, and conversed with him on occasion, I have come to a couple of conclusions. Ultimately, Sam wants the Church to bend to his will, regardless of what that may mean or entail. If you look at this current cause of his in a vacuum (which I don’t) or take him at his word (which would be naïve), his crusade is to protect youth from sexual abuse, which in his mind includes any shame a teenager may feel as a result of sexual sin, or any sin for that matter. His demand is that the church do away with all one-on-one interviews, because he claims to think that they are all harmful, and to eliminate any sexual questions of any kind, because they make people feel remorse for breaking the law of chastity, and since breaking the law of chastity is a “natural” thing, kids shouldn’t feel bad about it.

However, historically he has upset that the Church doesn’t take into account his opinion on things. I have seen him complain, over and over again, that he has spent years of his life in the Church and given it thousands of dollars, and he should have a say in how it is run. He seems to think that his opinion should count just as much, or more, than those of the apostles. He has bounced from one cause to another over the years, and never got much traction or acclaim until this. Now that he is getting attention he is going to keep making a bigger and bigger stink until the Church bends to him, at which point he would just start complaining about one of the dozens of other things he complains about, or until his supporters realize how quixotic this is and abandon him. There will always be a core of angry ex-Mormons or soon-to-be ex-Mormons that will love him, only because he is trying to give the Church a black eye. I am hopeful that faithful members will see him for what he is and avoid this “cause” like a plague.

This all reminds me so much of Nehemiah. Young is a modern echo of Sanballat, demanding that the apostles come down from their important work to do his bidding. The apostles are thankfully following the path of Nehemiah, “I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?”

tl;dr - Sam is just a frustrated member who thinks the Apostles should bend to his will.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Check Mormon Stories Facebook page. It looks like Dehlin and Young did a live stream on this 2 hours ago.
Chinese Proverb