The Deep Church?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

The Deep Church?

Post by _Maksutov »

Is there a "Deep Church" that persists as the 15 come and go? That moderates and influences in some ways? The "Anonymous" Op-Ed at the NYT has made me wonder about this.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Re: The Deep Church?

Post by _lemuel »

That would be the correlation committee.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Maksutov wrote:Is there a "Deep Church" that persists as the 15 come and go? That moderates and influences in some ways? The "Anonymous" Op-Ed at the NYT has made me wonder about this.

Interesting thought, Maks. There surely exists a less publicized profit oriented component to overall Church operations that often appears to eclipse the publicly claimed Prophet oriented aspects.

However, since the Prophet oriented operations are based on a demonstrably false set of assumptions and beliefs, and yet promoted as truth by organizational leadership, the Prophet oriented operations are the most dangerous.

As for a Deep State type cadre that could somehow prevent Church leadership from implementing the most damaging and destructive of its prophesies, policies and programs - the LDS Church should be so lucky.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Maksutov wrote:Is there a "Deep Church" that persists as the 15 come and go? That moderates and influences in some ways? The "Anonymous" Op-Ed at the New York Times has made me wonder about this.

Believers would say that the 'Deep Church' is personified in no other than Jesus Christ and His Father.

I would agree with you that there seems to be some underlying foundation/core that keeps things moving along persistently.

Regards,
MG
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Maksutov wrote:Is there a "Deep Church" that persists as the 15 come and go? That moderates and influences in some ways? The "Anonymous" Op-Ed at the New York Times has made me wonder about this.

I think the answer is that they don't really come and go. They are just a continuing collective consciousness that is influenced only when "the church" is threatened.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Think of it this way - the Mormon church is the deep state of Christianity-wanting to overthrow the illegitimate apostatic RCC and the JWs and all the other evangelical "apostates".

The Mormons will not outright take Pope Francis. "out" but they Sure would like to see all of nonmormom Christendom wiped out.

Now I have been waiting for that unnamed senior church official to blow the whistle on the Mormon scam- I was hoping Hamula would be the guy; I believe someone like an apostle will just do that and shake the church to its rotten roots-you know DCP knows the truth but is too afraid and gutless!
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Isn't the idea of a deep state, at least the less conspiratorial one, that there are long-term career employees whose jobs are to implement policy, but because of their positions and influence, have a significant yet informal role in setting policy? To the extent that this phenomenon exists, it usually as a conservative force to maintain the status quo.

If so, then I suspect there is something equivalent to that, as there probably is in any bureaucracy where upper management cannot possibly know the details of every initiative, program, or operation.

But I also think that Q15 acts as a conservative force to maintain the status quo, primarily because of seniority practices and lifetime tenure.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

You bet your ass there's a Mormon version of the 'deep state'. It's called dynastic families, or nepotism. I think if you google 'nepotism Mormon church' one can see more than a few people have connected the dots.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Isn't the Second Anointing part of the Deep Church?
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Downton Abbey might suggest one alternative, with it's downstairs staff that manages the expectations not just of their masters but what the culture at large expects of the masters and them.

Apply it in a way to the church, and all the pre-made framework that has been set to roll in the past creates the state of affairs now: buildings, secretaries, curricullum, families, lawyers, and other leaders, they are all different cogs that can become collectively more influential than any one man who assumes legal authority over the corporation sole. And this can all happen without premeditation guiding it all, but more than likely includes individuals who opportunistically use the structures to benefit themselves beyond the ostensible purposes of the institution.