Interpreter Radio: Richard Bushman is a Hack

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Interpreter Radio: Richard Bushman is a Hack

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Well, folks, it seems that the Mopologists are back at it with their vicious attacks on other Mormons. This time around, the venue is the still utterly God-awful Mormon Interpreter Radio Show. Guests on the program were Martin Tanner, Terry Hutchinson, Dan Peterson (who, very tellingly, is described in the opening moments as "the CEO of Mormon Interpreter"), and, sounding rather like the parodic imitation of Lorne Michaels on the old SNL "Saturday TV Funhouse" animated skits ("Come back here with myyyy sheow!"), John Gee. The program begins, as always, with the trumpet fanfare and a woman's voice, clearly fraught with ennui, welcoming listeners to "The Interpreter Show." There is clearly something wrong with the crew's sound equipment: distortion, lots of rustling, and a sense that the microphones being used are either cheap or out of date (and incidentally, DCP makes a call for donations in this episode).

Perhaps the most charged and interesting moment in the broadcast comes at the 26:00 mark. Here, the Mopologists are discussing the new Saints book, specifically it's handling of the Book of Abraham issue:

John Gee wrote:You're not going to find a lot in there, but they avoided some pitfalls. And... although I kind of hate to mention this, the treatment of the Book of Abraham in, say, Rough Stone Rolling, is very disappointing. It's hard to find anything that Richard Bushman got right on the topic. And his short introduction, or very short Introduction to Mormonism is much worse on the Book of Abraham. It's...you should sort of black out anything that he says, because it's all wrong. Saints doesn't have that problem. I didn't find any false statements or problematic statements on the Book of Abraham.

Whoa! Quite a slap in the face to the eminent Richard Bushman! In the past, it has been fairly easy to sense some tension between the Mopologists and Bushman, who they likely see as too strong of a supporter of the "Mormon Studies" crew. Gee's condemnation here, though, is remarkable in its complete dismissiveness. Bushman would be well within his rights to take umbrage.

Later in the program--roughly the 44 minute mark--the conversation shifts to a discussion about LDS biblical commentary. DCP tells a story about "getting into trouble" for describing Kent Brown's volumes on Luke as a "landmark in LDS scholarship." "We've never had a real commentary on Luke or any other of the Gospels." He continues:

DCP wrote:Frankly, uh, this is a minor consideration, but I used to be involved in putting on displays--designing displays that were held at the American Academy of Religion / Society of Biblical Literature annual meeting, and people would come by and they'd look at all this Mormon stuff, which is what we were putting out--[dismissively] or LDS stuff or whatever it is now--and, um, they'd say, "Well, don't you do the Bible?" Well, now, that's the kind of reaction I had not anticipated. We'd sort of had turned that over to everybody else. If Evangelicals, and the Jews, or whoever--whatever group wants to do a commentary on a Biblical book, we'll use that, for our particular purposes, but we weren't doing our own Biblical commentaries. And that led to a perception that sort of reinforced the perception in some circles that we're not really Christian.

Yes: this is really an old criticism, isn't it? I.e., that the Bible plays second fiddle to other texts in the LDS canon. What's interesting is to hear DCP openly admit to having inadvertently contributed to the problem. And he's remarkably blasé in his comments: he doesn't really seem to care.

Shortly after this, somebody--Tanner, perhaps--says, "Gee, there's a pretty good Bible commentary called The Interpreter Bible Commentary"--which elicits a laugh from the crew. This then leads into a conversation about the name Mormon Interpreter, which represents the ever-shifting explanations for the name:

DCP wrote:Yeah, you know, one of the reasons... "Mormon Interpreter" is not actually the name of the organization, or, you know, but it's used sometimes because the word "Interpreter" is so generic, that if you just Google "Interpreter," you get, you know, language journals, things for professional...simultaneous translators and so on. So, so--online, the thing is called "Mormon Interpreter," and some people refer to it that way in order to distinguish it from all the other conceivable and real interpreters that are out there.

They boys all then share a chuckle over a joke about how Peterson decided against calling it "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Interpreter." In any case, you have it from the mouth of the CEO himself: it's perfectly acceptable to call the organization (and the blog) "Mormon Interpreter."

At around 49:30, Dr. Peterson plugs an event featuring Royal Skousen and Stan Carmack. DCP says "this one's going to be kind of controversial" because they're going to cover their bizarre research on "archaic syntax" in the Book of Mormon. He goes on to say, "There are a lot of people mocking them so far, you know. But it's typically because they actually haven't read what Skousen and Carmack... It's easier that way; they haven't read what they've written, and so make fun of them. But it's serious stuff with serious evidence."

"If someone's criticizing them before it actually comes out, that's the 'shoot the messenger before you even have a chance to look at the message'," somebody adds (Tanner?).

DCP replies, "Well, these are meticulous linguists. And, uh, you know, you ask, 'What is your theory to explain what you're finding?' And they'll tell you, 'Our job is to lay out what we've found. Y'know, how to explain it, we don't necessarily know, but it's there and you can't deny it.'"

Somebody quips, "So it's not in the Late Great War of 1812 or whatever that thing is?"

DCP: "No, it's not. That won't explain it or account for it."

Interesting. You have to wonder where the Mopologists think this is going to lead. You get the sense that they think that this is going to wind up bolstering the Book of Mormon's status as an authentic prophetic document, but what does this do to their notions of the book as a legitimate history of Latin America? And I don't think that the "You haven't read it!" retort is very effective. Unless the books say something radically different from the basic claim--i.e., that Elizabethan language is present in the BoM--then the critics are right on the money with their mockery. That said, my understanding is that critics were laughing more at the explanation (and here DCP's above explanation isn't accurate vis-a-vis Skousen / Carmack's willingness to offer an explanation) that the material found its way into the Book of Mormon thanks to a "ghost committee" that worked to dictate the text to Joseph Smith.

Really, this was quite a mediocre entry into the annals of Mopologetic productions, but some interesting nuggets here and there.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Interpreter Radio: Richard Bushman is a Hack

Post by _Shulem »

John Gee wrote:You're not going to find a lot in there, but they avoided some pitfalls. And... although I kind of hate to mention this, the treatment of the Book of Abraham in, say, Rough Stone Rolling, is very disappointing. It's hard to find anything that Richard Bushman got right on the topic. And his short introduction, or very short Introduction to Mormonism is much worse on the Book of Abraham. It's...you should sort of black out anything that he says, because it's all wrong. Saints doesn't have that problem. I didn't find any false statements or problematic statements on the Book of Abraham.

That's a wild statement that surely could be proven wrong.

"It's hard to find anything that Richard Bushman got right"

"you should sort of black out anything that he says, because it's all wrong"

What an incredible thing to say. I'm sure Gee is mistaken. Actually, I think Gee could better apply his statement to Joseph Smith's Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 because everything in there is completely, 100% wrong. I've come to the conclusion that John Gee is a miserable and evil man. The man has no honor. The man is a liar -- he is the worst Egyptologist of modern times. He's scum.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The female announcer caught my attention when she said, "... all kinds of illicit issues and topics."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I appreciate the careful and incisive review, Dr. Scratch.

A few notes of my own:

1. Dr. Gee's more-or-less defunct blog, Forlorn Spoll Fira, features a book list that gives an indication of his view of Bushman's books. There Gee gives one star to Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling and zero stars to Bushman's A Very Short Introduction.

2. Dr. Gee's scintillating response to Tanner's cue to talk about An Introduction to the Book of Abraham deserves another listen (1:20:20).

3. Regarding Drs. Skousen and Carmack, I look forward to their upcoming lecture and the publication of the two-volume The Nature of the Original Language of the Book of Mormon (NOL). An excerpt from the description of the NOL:
Now in NOL, Skousen (again with the assistance of Carmack) argues that virtually all of the language of the Book of Mormon, not just the bad grammar, is found in Early Modern English. And not only are these words, phrases, and expressions in the text largely from Early Modern English, but a good many of them ceased to exist in English prior to 1700 (examples like but if ‘unless’, do away ‘to dismiss’, and idleness ‘meaningless words’). In all, Skousen identifies about 80 such word uses, phrases, and expressions that disappeared from English one to three centuries before the 1830 publication of the Book of Mormon....

Several sections of NOL are dedicated to showing that virtually every expression that scholars and critics have proposed as representing the language of Joseph Smith’s time turn out to be in earlier English, even striking expressions such as “to endure the crosses of the world” and “to sing the song of redeeming love”. And some of these are truly archaic expressions that died out of English prior to 1600 and would not have been used by Joseph Smith in his own language, but there they are in the Book of Mormon, examples like “how be it”, meaning ‘however it may be’, and “never the less”, meaning ‘by no means less’....

In Skousen and Carmack’s view, all of this linguistic evidence (along with the evidence from eyewitnesses of the translation process) strongly argues that Joseph Smith was not the author of the translated English-language text of the Book of Mormon; instead, he received it word for word from the Lord by means of his translation instrument.

Finally, Skousen argues that the themes of the Book of Mormon – religious, social, and political – do not derive from Joseph Smith’s time (also an 1831 claim of Alexander Campbell’s), but instead are the prominent issues of the Protestant Reformation, and they too date from the 1500s and 1600s rather than the 1800s – examples like burning people at the stake for heresy, standing before the bar of justice (often called the pleading bar in the 1600s), secret combinations to overthrow the government, the rejection of infant baptism, the sacrament as symbolic memorial and spiritual renewal, public rather than private confession, no required works of penance, and piety in living and worship. Skousen believes that the Book of Mormon would have resonated much more strongly with the Reformed and Radical Protestants of the 1500s and 1600s than with the Christians of Joseph Smith’s time.
Well now.

4. Dr. Peterson says that his Book of Mormon witnesses film will cost about $1.2 million (59:04). That project may put an end to his dreams of building the Mopologetic ziggurat.

5. I'm slowly recovering from listening to the August 26th show. Sam Young, youth interviews, the November 2015 policy. Among other things, Craig Foster confesses that he possesses two thick file folders of comments made by people and articles about the policy. (I assume he's carrying out an assignment from the Strengthening Church Members Committee.) Foster goes on to mislead listeners by claiming an equivalence between the November 2015 policy and church policy regarding children living in polygamous households.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Yeah if he doesn't agree with me, black him all out. This view and approach is precisely what is wrong with apologetics in the first place. The myopic its all one way or ta uther kind of thinking. Bushman is more of a naturalist view all right, but then again, Gee's supernaturalist view sure hasn't held the day. He knows that and I suspect that is why he thinks that tearing down everyone else's view is going to give his a boost from its sagging credibility.

Gee is going to make just a fine General Authority along the Dallin Oaks kind a guy...
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

It seems like he read my post regarding the name of their blog. Happy I could help.

The remarks about the spirit-world translation are interesting. He says that the forthcoming volumes are already being laughed at before they've been read. We're assured it's very scholarly work.

I'm curious about the mocking audience. We've had a go at aspects of the theory around there, admittedly, but wouldn't it be odd if the primary skeptics for the forthcoming work that they've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on, is website of "anonymous participants" where maybe, 5 - 10 have ever commented?

I mean, if that were the case, it would say more about the failure to properly scope the project. Should we assume there are other venues of some importance to the archaic English genre who are already mocking? Translation: somebody other than us has heard about it?

Maybe I just lack imagination here or insider knowledge, but it just seems like the project is so narrow that it's unlikely to be of much interest to those outside an extremely narrow specialty, that is, until the 'who done it' aspect of the theory is underscored, and then it turns brutally Mopologetic in nature.

At any rate, I barely got through my core English requirements in college so who am I to say anything one way or the other about this project -- and two volumes? I'm happy to credit it as a scholarly contribution to the world, once I see some endorsements from qualified non-Mormon experts come in.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

It seems to me that since they can't place the Book of Mormon in the 4th Century or earlier, they are desperate to put it anywhere but in Smith's time, so they are going off on Smith's mimicry and plagiarism of 15th Century English. It's all rather silly and pointless, but they are absolutely desperate.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:The remarks about the spirit-world translation are interesting. He says that the forthcoming volumes are already being laughed at before they've been read. We're assured it's very scholarly work.

I'm curious about the mocking audience. We've had a go at aspects of the theory around there, admittedly, but wouldn't it be odd if the primary skeptics for the forthcoming work that they've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on, is website of "anonymous participants" where maybe, 5 - 10 have ever commented?

I mean, if that were the case, it would say more about the failure to properly scope the project. Should we assume there are other venues of some importance to the archaic English genre who are already mocking? Translation: somebody other than us has heard about it?

Maybe I just lack imagination here or insider knowledge, but it just seems like the project is so narrow that it's unlikely to be of much interest to those outside an extremely narrow specialty, that is, until the 'who done it' aspect of the theory is underscored, and then it turns brutally Mopologetic in nature.

At any rate, I barely got through my core English requirements in college so who am I to say anything one way or the other about this project -- and two volumes? I'm happy to credit it as a scholarly contribution to the world, once I see some endorsements from qualified non-Mormon experts come in.

These are excellent points. I think you're right: the Mopologists don't seem to get the reasons why critics are laughing at this project. I doubt there is anyone who questions Skousen and Carmack's basic conclusion--i.e., that there is Elizabethan language in the Book of Mormon. Sure, yeah, okay--no problem. I certainly believe them; they are--as Dr. Peterson said--serious, rigorous linguists, and if that's the conclusion they've drawn, then I believe them.

But, like you said, Dr. Robbers--what's the point here? How does this help the apologists? And who is the audience? Do they intend to market this to TBMs and Chapel Mormons--the "sister in Parowan"? How is the basic claim likely to go down with that crowd? "Inoculation" is a buzzword lately among the FAIR and Interpreter crowd, but how is that supposed to work in this case? Do the "unwashed masses" need to be prepped before they are confronted with the disturbing reality that there is anachronistic prose in the Book of Mormon? Nephites and Lamanites weren't hanging around in Elizabethan England, after all. I believe I saw an astonishing post or comment from Dr. Peterson recently in which he actually seemed to be suggesting that the most powerful point in this entire project really is the "ghost committee" thing: i.e., *that* is what he believes is the most faith-promoting dimension of all of this. The argument seems to be something like this: "Look, there's Elizabethan prose in this. How did it get there? Well, the most plausible explanation is that there was a Ghost Committee--comprised of people from that era--who were dictating this stuff to Joseph Smith." In most circumstance, I would say that this is so whacked-out and bizarre that it defies belief. But, hey: Mopologetics is a strange country.

I suppose the apologists could argue that they are supporting the project on purely scholarly grounds, though of course that's ridiculous. If they were interested in that, they would have committed ages ago to publishing in more traditional, secular venues. Even so, can you imagine the non-LDS community's reaction to this? "Oh, so there's 16th Century language in the Book of Mormon? You don't say!" Part of the reason this project is so hilarious is that it is virtually impossible to see how this fits into any kind of faith-promoting paradigm.

But the real clincher is, as you alluded to, Dean, the huge expenditure. They have sunk over a hundred-thousand dollars into this thing. Talk about pure folly! Skousen openly defied the Brethren; the project seems totally disconnected from anything faith-promoting, and, in fact, actually seems like it could pose a threat to testimonies; the Mopologists seem clueless about who the audience is supposed to be for this; and they have spent (or wasted?) a not-inconsiderable sum of money on it. This is one of the most perfect examples of pure Mopologetics that we've ever seen.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor Scratch wrote:But the real clincher is, as you alluded to, Dean, the huge expenditure. They have sunk over a hundred-thousand dollars into this thing. Talk about pure folly!

Who pays for this stuff? This is incredibly niche stuff, so I can't imagine many people would want to give them money for this drool-inducing Quietus.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Serious question. Have any of them produced anything near as massive as RSR?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb