Is Something "Amiss" at "Mormon Interpreter"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Is Something "Amiss" at "Mormon Interpreter"?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I don't know about you, but I've noticed that activity related to the "Mormon Interpreter" blog and its leadership seem to be, well, slowing. And now, with today's offering, we may have an explanation for why posting at "SeN" has slowed to little more than a crawl, with the proprietor seemingly barely able to crank out just one post per day. (I think someone--Dr. Moore, perhaps--once did an analysis showing that the average post/comment per day average was something like 20.) Could it be that Dr. Peterson's activity on "SeN" has decreased so much because he was scrambling to slam together this blog posting for "Interpreter"? I mean, the article, rather humorously entitled "It Came from Beyond," like's it's some schlocky sci-fi movie from the 1950s, is bad even by 'Interpreter" standards. Just check out the abstract:
Abstract: The early Latter-day Saints viewed the Book of Mormon not only as a symbol of Joseph Smith’s prophetic calling but also as the most powerful evidence for that calling. However, perhaps because they were ardent believers in the Bible who had been formed in a distinctly Bible-drenched culture and perhaps also because many of them had come to the Book of Mormon relatively late in their lives, they tended to quote from the Nephite record only rarely. Surprisingly, this was the case even for Joseph Smith himself — which can be taken as a sign that he didn’t write the book.
Wha..??? The fact that he seldom quoted from the Book of Mormon is somehow evidence that "he didn't write the book"? How often do the Brethren quote from their own speeches? I mean, this is really grasping at straws, no? And this slipped past the "peer review" of Linday and Wyatt?

In any case, I cannot escape the feeling that things seem to be on the decline for the Mopologists: there is a palpable diminishment of energy, as if they are starting to fall asleep at the wheel. Maybe all their energies are focused on the "Witnesses" movie, or maybe taking COVID vacations is the priority at the moment, but it's tough to overlook how logy and sluggish they've been lately.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
huckelberry
God

Re: Is Something "Amiss" at "Mormon Interpreter"?

Post by huckelberry »

I am not sure of this conclusion but I do not think it is thoughtless.

Dr Moore posted not long ago, previous board:

by Dr Moore » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:14 am
"I would love to know where to find the apologetic answer on FAIR Mormon.

"Why didn't Joseph Smith make daily study of the Book of Mormon a priority?"
"Why didn't Joseph Smith teach more frequently from the Book of Mormon?"

The answer makes its own case from the data: because the Book of Mormon was a product of his imagination."
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

I’m surprised that the article does not even acknowledge Janiece Johnson, “Becoming a People of the Books: Toward an Understanding of Early Mormon Converts and the New Word of the Lord,” Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 27 (2018): 1-43. Did anyone review the article prior to publication?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Not owning something, not studying it and not quoting it, especially when the book is supposedly the most correct book and supposedly from God, is certainly a head scratcher. And don't forget he had God's book buried in the cornerstone of the Nauvoo temple. To me, it looks like that story I heard several times as a youth where the kid started obsessively taking showers several times a day because he was feeling so guilty about whatever small sin he had committed.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

This thread is worthy of your nom de guerre, Doctor. This head scratching apologetic is a trophy case of “heads I win, tails you lose.”

Had Joseph taught frequently from the Book of Mormon, rest assured that tidbit would be trumpeted by Mopologists as evidence he found the record precious, divine, correct, and most of all, that he didn’t write it.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

On the one hand, what, the book he tried to sell the copyright to he didn't quote from much?

On the other:
Dr. Moore wrote:Had Joseph taught frequently from the Book of Mormon, rest assured that tidbit would be trumpeted by Mopologists as evidence he found the record precious, divine, correct, and most of all, that he didn’t write it.
Yep. exalted if you do, exalted if you don't.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

they tended to quote from the Nephite record only rarely. Surprisingly, this was the case even for Joseph Smith himself — which can be taken as a sign that he didn’t write the book.
Perhaps the early Saints, as well as Joseph, viewed this product of a 16th Century committee of bards and vaudevillians as better suited to one of the stages, theatres, and other such venues in Olde England.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor, you may have overlooked this update.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... death.html
“Daniel Peterson” wrote: Note: For at least a while, based upon discussion with folks at Patheos, I’ll be experimenting with a new approach to my blogging: Fewer posts, but longer.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 pm
Doctor, you may have overlooked this update.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... death.html
“Daniel Peterson” wrote: Note: For at least a while, based upon discussion with folks at Patheos, I’ll be experimenting with a new approach to my blogging: Fewer posts, but longer.
Dr. Moore:

Yes, you're quite right--I hadn't noticed that! It's very, very interesting though: it suggests that he was "pulled aside" by the Powers-That-Be at Patheos. I would be willing to bet that traffic--and thus advertising revenue--have slowed significantly. The main drivers of views to "SeN," I would imagine, are posts dealing with hot-button political issues--which Prof. P. has sworn off--and picking fights with critics. Of course, Dr. Peterson banned pretty much every critic--including people as anodyne as Dr. Shades and Moksha. The blog is so boring these days that it's almost not even worth checking in: there just isn't anything there. Even the spats with Gemli have slowed down to a crawl. It may be that his position as a Patheos blogger is in jeopardy, and if he doesn't find a way to up his page views, they are going to pull the plug.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Great points, Doctors Moore and Scratch.

It's been a bore-fest for sure. The main controversy is now over Covid, which might be good for the main stay at SeN since it's the one topic that they're sometimes right about. It must be refreshing and empowering for them to respond to their anti-mask critics with science and facts.

Lou Midgley, while he still resorts to condescension and predictable appeals to authority with Gemli seems to have cooled off on the extreme personal attacks. He also hasn't recounted critic war stories lately. Was he sat down and scolded by somebody in power? Or perhaps his conscious finally got the better of him?

Yeah, it's interesting that he's now "writing longer posts". Is there really a difference? He's done this before, but the longer posts are just four or five shorter posts glued together. Also, he he recently released a morality and God argument that Billy Shears is owning him on, and maybe it's a longer post, I don't know, but he posts this same argument to the letter, like every three weeks somewhere. So it's largely the same "recycled news" bin, but maybe with a tweaked chunking parameter.