Joseph Smith stole the One Eternal Now

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Smith stole the One Eternal Now

Post by _Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:You have to delete your quote of it too, you silly man!!

There, I got now. If you can send it up to a higher kingdom that would be nice.

:smile:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:Is this Adam Clarke of the “one eternal now” the same person who wrote the commentary Joseph relied upon heavily when doing the JST?

I think so. What do you think, Kishy? I think this is a big find. I was so disappointed to learn that Smith was parroting what he had read or heard. I thought it was an original concept fallen from his lips. But apparently not.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri, where are you when I need you?

What do you think about all this?

Don't you dare think about skipping this thread lest I skip my next donation. I'm behind and owe you.

:biggrin:
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

So where and when did Joseph Smith make this comment about the eternal now? It is a phrase which references traditional theological ideas which may not fit well with the later ideas Joseph was experimenting with. Is the date late indicating some vasilation of thought?
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Shulem wrote:consiglieri, where are you when I need you?

What do you think about all this?

Don't you dare think about skipping this thread lest I skip my next donation. I'm behind and owe you.

:biggrin:

I think you have made a significant find, Shulem!

I congratulate you on your percipience

So does Terryl.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I am actually serious about this being the kind of thing Terryl would groove on.

Would you like me to transmit your find to him through back channels?

Terryl is pretty good about giving proper attribution.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:I am actually serious about this being the kind of thing Terryl would groove on.

:exclaim:

Sure, anything you can do would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure that the "One Eternal Now" that Joseph Smith adopted into his theology was one of many borrowings he picked up from various scholarly commentaries.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:So where and when did Joseph Smith make this comment about the eternal now? It is a phrase which references traditional theological ideas which may not fit well with the later ideas Joseph was experimenting with. Is the date late indicating some vasilation of thought?

Here:

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 220; History of the Church, 4:597). wrote:The great Jehovah contemplated the whole of the events connected with the earth, pertaining to the plan of salvation, before it rolled into existence, or ever ‘the morning stars sang together’ for joy; the past, the present, and the future were and are, with Him, one eternal 'now;'
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Shulem wrote:
consiglieri wrote:I am actually serious about this being the kind of thing Terryl would groove on.

:exclaim:

Sure, anything you can do would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure that the "One Eternal Now" that Joseph Smith adopted into his theology was one of many borrowings he picked up from various scholarly commentaries.

Consider the message sent.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

You know, it occurs to me we have not yet seen the actual correspondences found between Clark's commentary and the Joseph Smith translation. I wonder if this is among them. Hard to know when it has not been published yet.