Nelsons daughter and son-in-law accused of sex abuse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Nelsons daughter and son-in-law accused of sex abuse

Post by _I have a question »

SALT LAKE CITY — Allegations rejected 30 years ago by multiple law enforcement investigations resurfaced Wednesday in a federal lawsuit filed against the daughter and son-in-law of the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The couple was identified only as John and Jane Doe in the suit, but an attorney for the defendants identified them as Brenda and Richard Miles, the daughter and son-in-law of President Russell M. Nelson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, often called the Mormon church.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Utah by six unnamed plaintiffs, alleges that their father and the Mileses were part of a ring of adults and babysitters who sexually assaulted them as young children during "touching parties" at homes in their Bountiful neighborhood.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... abuse.html
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Nelsons daughter and son-in-law accused of sex abuse

Post by _Maksutov »

If this case is based on recovered memories through hypnosis, then it's probably a bunch of #@$!.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_moinmoin
_Emeritus

Post by _moinmoin »

Maksutov wrote:If this case is based on recovered memories through hypnosis, then it's probably a bunch of #@$!.

It is. Barbara Snow was notorious for that, and she was at the epicenter of the the recovered memory/ritual abuse craze.

"Indeed, there is evidence that suggests that Snow's beliefs have had more of an effect on the final outcome of her investigations than the memories of the children she questions. Because the details of several alleged ritual abuse cases she had investigated were so suspiciously similar, Utah police deliberately fed her false information to see if her suggestive interviewing techniques were influencing the children's allegations. Soon enough this information appeared in the answers of the children she interviewed."

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/t ... oid=889956

This is filed a couple of days before General Conference by Craig Vernon, after getting exactly zero traction decades ago. It's a Craig Vernon stunt.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I was involved with a recovered memory lawsuit. I don’t know what had happened to the woman who filed the suit, but her memories of abuse were embedded in so many outlandish, provably false claims that her claims were simply not credible. Her allegations tore the family apart, and I came away feeling bad for all involved. Except the therapist who helped her “recover” the memories.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Was this around the time Pace issued his infamous Satanic ritual abuse memo? It was really astonishing to read that special piece of nonsense and realize how gullible even the highest of church leaders can be.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Looks like the allegations were made about three years after the Pace memo was leaked to the press.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Well now..... this one is going to be interesting.

Plenty of false accusations floating around.

Plenty of true ones, too.

What a Mormon mess.

The Pace memo is only as bat crap crazy as Mormonism is bat crap crazy. The two are on par. Only a Mormom could believe in the Pace memo because the Pace memo is steeped in Mormonism.

But to perpetrators, isn't one red herring just as good as another? The world is full of sadists who have no problem hurting children and who love a good fish!
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Rosebud wrote:Well now..... this one is going to be interesting.

Plenty of false accusations floating around.

Plenty of true ones, too.

What a Mormon mess.

The Pace memo is only as bat ____ crazy as Mormonism is bat ____ crazy. The two are on par. Only a Mormom could believe in the Pace memo because the Pace memo is steeped in Mormonism.

But to perpetrators, isn't one red herring just as good as another? The world is full of sadists who have no problem hurting children and who love a good fish!

The recovered memory fiasco was far from a Mormon mess. It was a weird period of mass hysteria propelled by pseudo science.

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:The recovered memory fiasco was far from a Mormon mess. It was a weird period of mass hysteria propelled by pseudo science.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

If some memories are false, are all memories false?

If a perpetrator knows a child won't remember something if it's traumatic enough, would a perpetrator be incentivized to increase the level of trauma?

If a perpetrator knows how to ensure an event isn't rememembered and if any memories recalled at a later date are discredited as a "recovered," then what actions would a perpetrator take to work towards ensuring he or she would never get caught?

Should we assume that people can actually be this vile or should we assume that's absolutely impossible? If we decide it's not absolutely impossible that people could be this vile, then what is to stop this kind of abuse from taking place? It's not even very creative: a bunch of sadistic people dressing up, using drugs and having "fun." Oh... yeah.... impossible.... that never ever happens.
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document