Nelson Daughter and SIL - Documents, Media Reports and Links

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mary
_Emeritus

Re: Nelson Daughter and SIL - Documents, Media Reports and L

Post by _Mary »

Rosebud, ISAT still around. No mention of Snow.
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Rosebud wrote:There was a group of professionals who communicated about their clients. I believe Snow's name became publicly known when she was used in the defense of the more well known cases. She took the public hit for the group.

for what it's worth, I learned while Goigking during the other thread that the attorney who evoked her name as part of the defense also defended Brian David Mitchell.

Edit: i get that in a sensationalized media presentation of occurrences it sounds bad when it is stated that time lapsed in a session before a client disclosed details. But it's not realistic to expect time wouldn't lapse. People don't just immediately disclose private and potentially shameful things to strangers. Time is required to develop trust.

Snow was the clinical director of whatever that organization was. I don't know if she was on faculty at the U when I took the class from her... possibly. It doesn't make sense for her to be alone and working rogue. In the 80s people and professionals were in the beginning stages of accepting that the sexual abuse of children was a reality. Managing it was a new aspect of their professions. Everyone was on a steep learning curve.... trying to figure out what to do about the reports they were hearing. I don't know what questions Snow may have asked that could be considered to be leading and that therefore might mean that she "implanted" memories, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that she would be doing her best to manage a new situation, not yet having any training on how to appropriately ask questions of a potential victim.

That's one opinion. Here's another that far, far more accurately describes the situation of the time:

A significant portion of the mental health community—by one estimate, in the mid-1990s, more than 50,000 U.S. therapists—appeared to accept repressed memories uncritically. A subset of them also promoted the notion that murderous Satanic cults were common, and responsible for their clients’ forgotten pasts. Seminars in which practicing therapists offered advice on how best to retrieve memories of cult abuse from their clients were held around the country. (A typical example of the memories that therapists said they were uncovering could be seen in the 1980 autobiography Michelle Remembers, written by Lawrence Pazder, a Canadian psychiatrist, and his patient—and eventual wife—Michelle Smith. Smith described a Satanic organization that, she claimed, tortured her for months, feeding her soup laced with worms and forcing her to witness animal sacrifices.) Even when they did not extend to the demonic, the sessions of now-specialized trauma experts almost always centered on recollections of incest and sexual abuse.

America was captivated by the phenomenon, weaving it into popular culture: Daytime talk shows like Geraldo held regular interviews with victims who claimed to have recovered memories, and celebrities like Roseanne Barr disclosed their own experiences of repressed trauma. Books like The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse and Secret Survivor: Uncovering Incest and Its Aftereffects in Women, which listed hundreds of symptoms that were supposed proof of having repressed memories, became bestsellers. “If you think you were abused and your life shows the symptoms, then you were,” wrote the authors in the first edition of The Courage to Heal. Activists like Gloria Steinem championed the tales emerging from therapy offices through their publications (a Ms. magazine cover proclaimed, “Believe It! Cult Ritual Abuse Exists”). As the panic peaked, many states changed their statutes of limitation to allow for newly discovered memories to become the basis of civil lawsuits and, sometimes, criminal prosecution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the end of the 1990s, many of the trauma clinics that had specialized in recovered memory therapy had shut down. The daytime talk shows about Satanic abuse and multiple personalities became less frequent, and the courts became wary of testimony based on recovered memories. Richard McNally, the director of clinical training in the Department of Psychology at Harvard and author of the book Remembering Trauma, put it bluntly in a friend-of-court brief: “The notion that traumatic events can be repressed and later recovered is the most pernicious bit of folklore ever to infect psychology and psychiatry.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/danger ... alth-93325

[cinepro provided this quote in a similar thread]
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Mary wrote:Rosebud, ISAT still around. No mention of Snow.

Is this it?

http://www.isatcenter.org/

Did they change the word "sexual" to "specialized"?
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

Thread about Mary's chronological document
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Rosebud wrote:
Mary wrote:Rosebud, ISAT still around. No mention of Snow.

Is this it?

http://www.isatcenter.org/

Did they change the word "sexual" to "specialized"?

Nope:

Prior to August 1984, ISAT was known as the Village Counseling Center under the sponsorship of Utah Girl’s Village. Since both programs needed to develop in their own direction, and ISAT needed to broaden its scope to include male victims and offenders, ISAT became a completely independent agency with no connection to Utah Girls Village. ISAT changed its name in February 1994 to Intermountain Specialized Abuse Treatment Center to reflect its increased service to clients affected by all types of abuse, particularly domestic violence.

http://www.isatcenter.org/about-us/
Chronological List of Relevant Documents, Media Reports and Occurrences with Links regarding the lawsuit alleging President Nelson's daughter and son-in-law are sexual predators.

By our own Mary (with maybe some input from me when I can help). Thank you Mary!

Thread about the lawsuit

_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Or is that quote omitting what ISAT stood for between 1984 and 1994?

Thread about the lawsuit

_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Marion Smith was there 1982, so they seem to be misrepresenting origins??

"1982, – Marion Smith [Psychotherapist] becomes first director of ISAT, one of the only organisations in Utah devoted to the treatment of Child Abuse.

[ https://archive.org/details/ABlipHereAndABlipThere p4,"]

Strange..
"It's a little like the Confederate Constitution guaranteeing the freedom to own slaves. Irony doesn't exist for bigots or fanatics." Maksutov
_Rosebud
_Emeritus

Post by _Rosebud »

Here's what Barbara's "About Me" page says:

She is the author of multiple research articles featured in prominent, juried professional journals and served as an expert witness. She has been featured in nationally televised documentaries and productions. She has been an instructor for the University of Utah, Veterans Affairs, law enforcement and diverse social service and religious agencies. As the former co-founder and clinical director of the Intermountain Sexual Abuse Treatment Center she directed the development of one of the largest treatment centers for childhood sexual abuse in the United States.

https://www.bsnowtherapy.com/AboutMe.en.html

Thread about the lawsuit

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

If you want to track down the specifics of what Snow was accused of, I would start with trying to find the Supreme Court Briefs in the Hadfield case.

https://www.utcourts.gov/records/appellate/
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Res Ipsa wrote:If you want to track down the specifics of what Snow was accused of, I would start with trying to find the Supreme Court Briefs in the Hadfield case.

https://www.utcourts.gov/records/appellate/

As I understand it, both the Hadfield and Bullock trial defence concentrated on Snow's methods.

Bullock

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-10th-cir ... 60586.html

Hadfield

https://law.justia.com/cases/utah/supre ... 80234.html
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Bullock.. some specifics..

*The defense responded to the prosecution's case by arguing that Dr. Snow planted the allegation of abuse by Mr. Bullock in the boys' minds.   In making their case, Mr. Bullock's defense attorneys relied, in part, on Dr. Snow's own statements during trial.   Dr. Snow testified, for example, that she was “very aggressive in [her] questioning of children,” that she was “relatively indifferent to what [would] happen to the [alleged] perpetrator,” that she did not approach interview sessions “with an open mind” but as an “ally for the child,” and that she did not see herself as a fact collector like the police.   Dr. Snow also testified extensively about her interview techniques, and she acknowledged that she did not record her interviews with the children, take notes during the interviews, or write reports following the interviews.   Indeed, Dr. Snow admitted that her “own integrity” was the only way of verifying what had occurred during the interview sessions.   Similarly, the defense team emphasized contradictions and inconsistencies in the boys' testimony, including the fact that one of the boys had retracted an allegation of abuse as being untrue.

The defense attorneys also called three expert psychologists who severely criticized Dr. Snow's interviewing techniques and asserted that her methods had irreparably tainted not only the boys' testimony, but their actual recollections of events.   In addition, the defense experts challenged Dr. Tyler's conclusion that the boys had been abused, arguing that the boys had already been contaminated by Dr. Snow by the time Dr. Tyler evaluated them.*

Will check link for more.