Abuse of Ancient History by New Testament Scholars

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Re: Abuse of Ancient History by New Testament Scholars

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Kishkumen wrote:But, at the end of the day, it’s just the same old tired attempt to make the first-century belief in a literal God-man who rose from the dead sound historically verified by sleight of hand. Yeah, history does attest to first-century people believing in Jesus’ resurrection. First-century people, like people today, believe all kinds of things. Living in the first century does not equal a scientific validation of miracles.

Your area of expertise is not New Testament, but you now feel qualified to caricature what is Licona's specialty. Yet, you take a crap on Licona for flubbing it on Roman history, which is not his specialty. Pot, meet kettle.

I'll concede the point on Roman history for the sake of argument. Mostly because I can't stomach Dehlin's meandering and generally ignorant interviews on any subject; I'm not going have a listen so I'll trust you got it right.

I can't recall Licona ever arguing for a scientific validation of miracles. When miracles come up in contexts like this Licona and others generally take aim at Hume's argument against miracles, because some variation thereof is what the opposite side is generally arguing for. This is of necessity a philosophical argument. It is generally undertaken not to prove miracles in the first century (or any other time), but to point out that the philosophical dismissal of miracles doesn't work.

Having said all of that, I would be interested in the sources which show Licona is wrong. The nearest thing I can find would be the letters collected here: http://www.attalus.org/translate/cassius.html

However, I don't see frank admissions there, nor do I see a date established. Of course, I'm not as familiar with the sources as those who study this in depth, so if I should look elsewhere, or if there is something I am missing on that page I would appreciate the correction.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Slow down there, cowpoke! Where in the hell did I caricature all NTS? Yeah, I am critical of the endemic problem in the field of misusing Ancient History to bolster historical arguments about Jesus and EC, but that falls squarely WITHIN my area of expertise.

The criticism that seems to have set you off is directed at those many Christians who criticize Mormonism on the basis of history as though they stood on such firm ground themselves. There is no recognition—there probably can’t be for reasons of employment as a religious booster—that history does not support anyone’s theology and that faith instead stands at the core of their profession of belief.

I called that sleight of hand, but it is probably the same lazy, unconscious verbiage that exists wherever there is no real room for beliefs to be challenged—places like BYU or Houston Baptist University. People strut around patting each other on the back glowing with the obvious superiority of their own beliefs.

The idea that Christianity is ancient is taken as a confirmation of its validity against Mormonism, when belief in the miraculous is always up for contestation. The antiquity of Christianity does not make it any more valid. Jesus telling stories about Abraham in the first century is no more valid than Joseph Smith making up tales about fake Nephites in the 19th century.

Yet the assumption that there is some important difference permeates the landscape of believing Christian scholars, as far as I have been able to tell. And I don’t know why my observation of this phenomenon should be offensive to you. It is not a slight against all NTS to say so.

As for my statement regarding the letters, if you go through the letters of Brutus and Cassius, you will find multiple references to the assassination that clearly show they accepted responsibility for and even gloried in their perpetration of the act. The terminus ante quem for the letters is the Battle of Philippi in October 42, in which two-part engagement both men died, and the letters were incorporated into a collection that was taking shape during the life of Cicero, which ended in the proscriptions of the Triumvirate the year before Philippi (December 43). Nepos refers to part of this collection of letters in the following decade. So between the assassination itself and Nepos we’re talking about a span of roughly ten years.

But the most important thing here is that Caesar’s assassination is a fact supported by one of the richest collections of data for ancient history of all. That is simply not the case for the life of Jesus. There is a gaping chasm between the two cases. For someone to suggest otherwise is either ignorant or dishonest. I go with ignorant here, but it is a serious problem. I do not contest the historicity of Jesus, but I am deeply concerned by the casual way in which that historicity is affirmed ineptly or incompetently.

I should think it is in everyone’s interest to get it right. Only people who rightly accept the historicity of Jesus, however, have a chance to correct this problem because it has been politicized between the history and myth camps to a hopeless degree. The irony here is that Ehrman, too, believes Jesus is historical, and these guys came on MoSto to rebut him.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gray Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Gray Ghost »

There is a difference between critical scholarship and scholarship that borders on apologetics. Critical scholarship adheres more closely to objective historical criteria than does scholarship that is driven by some kind of theological commitments. That is not to say that believers can't do critical scholarship as well. But in order to be critical scholars they must put their personal faith aside and act like critical scholars when they go to work.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

I am not a historian, nor do I play one on TV. Having said that, I've done a chunk of reading on the topic of "historical Jesus". I view the case for a historical Jesus as very weak, but plausible. Where I get tripped up is when I read things that suggest that most historians accept the narratives of the baptism, and the crucifixion; and I have to ask why? If the New Testament is not viewed as historical, and the accounts are no where else recorded, why does the idea of embarrassment of Jesus raise these events to the level of history - especially as such a concept, the death and resurrection of a deity, is not unique?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It's only bias that scholars are comfortable with in order to present the resurrection as a historical event. It has truly paltry evidence if it can even be called that. They appear to me to not want to take any sides of any organized religion, yet they are also leery of following the evidence (actually the lack of it) to its logical and causal end, which is Jesus is just someone's story interpretation of something that had nothing to do with being supernatural. That interpretation was developed through the upcoming centuries.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gray Ghost wrote:There is a difference between critical scholarship and scholarship that borders on apologetics. Critical scholarship adheres more closely to objective historical criteria than does scholarship that is driven by some kind of theological commitments. That is not to say that believers can't do critical scholarship as well. But in order to be critical scholars they must put their personal faith aside and act like critical scholars when they go to work.

I believe that it would be perfectly possible for believing scholars to affirm the historicity of Jesus without dubiously pressing the examples of Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar into service. I am willing to accept the fact that believers will inevitably use optimistic datings of texts, the six degrees of separation from Jesus, and what have you. The misuse of Alexander and Caesar is really just bad methodology and completely unnecessary. It bothers me that we have such a profound degree of historical ignorance and illiteracy. It really baffles me how a person could have a PhD in New Testament and yet not understand the difference between the evidences for Caesar and Jesus.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

SteelHead wrote:I am not a historian, nor do I play one on TV. Having said that, I've done a chunk of reading on the topic of "historical Jesus". I view the case for a historical Jesus as very weak, but plausible. Where I get tripped up is when I read things that suggest that most historians accept the narratives of the baptism, and the crucifixion; and I have to ask why? If the New Testament is not viewed as historical, and the accounts are no where else recorded, why does the idea of embarrassment of Jesus raise these events to the level of history - especially as such a concept, the death and resurrection of a deity, is not unique?

Yeah, I am probably less skeptical than you are. Between Josephus and the evidence we have for Pilate, I think it is pretty safe to say that there was a Jesus. Sure, it is possible that there was no Jesus. I just find it very improbable that there was no Jesus. On the other hand, I think the Jesus we see in the New Testament is costumed up in a lot of extra theological dressing to make him look like a prophesied figure. I like the New Testament, but it is not history. This is not to say that it is not historical evidence of an actual person.

Carrier's stuff about the Ascension of Isaiah is intriguing and fun, but it seems even more improbable than a historical Jesus.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

I would certainly agree with Aristotle Smith to the extent that the purported resurrection of Jesus is not a historical problem. Perhaps it is a philosophical one; I don't know. I certainly would not argue that it did not happen on historical grounds—it's unknowable on those grounds and therefore historical grounds are irrelevant. Evidence from tortilla reading is probably more relevant to the question of Jesus's resurrection than any mass of historical evidence. I can't read tortillas, so I leave the question to others.

Yet, to SteelHead's question, it's clear that enough people did believe it happened after a crucifixion, such that

1) all four gospels meet some kind of expectation by including it. Even the so-called "short ending" of Mark 16 includes it, which is probably of the late 60s.

2) beginning in the 50s, there are references throughout the Pauline corpus, with no one apparently contradicting him and seemingly taking the crucifixion and resurrection as granted (though obviously, to Kish's point, belief says nothing about whether the resurrection happened, which only a handful supposedly witnessed anyway).

This is similar to the issue of baptism, although it's not in John (though imagery is). Paul presupposes the practice of baptism, although I don't remember right now whether he mentions Jesus's baptism. In any case, our sources present the baptism of Jesus and his crucifixion as widely accepted by the communities who were in a much better position to know than any group of human beings since. So, if one thinks these were not historical incidents in the life of Jesus, neither of which are contradicted by the laws of physics (unlike resurrection), the burden is on the skeptic to adduce better, more reliable evidence or to demonstrate how those writers, who were not rubes, were able to pull off this conspiracy.

As for the "weak" case for a historical Jesus, there is nothing on offer with more plausibility, and it is only weak in relation to something else: it is weak in relation to case for the historical existence of Franklin Roosevelt, still weaker than historical Caesar and Alexander, but not weak in comparison to a historical Odysseus or a historical Nephi. I have argued plenty here, though, that the case for a community of mythicists, or the conspiracy to invent a historical Jesus that must have followed in their wake, is so weak that it is not even plausible.

Gadianton wrote:Why did Dehlin have a Christian apologist defend Jesus as history on his show? What does that have to do with Mormonism?

Please don't tell me he's going down the path Murphy did of siding with EV's on the historical reality of the Bible, and contrasting that with the Book of Mormon.

I have wondered that myself. Probably he just needs something to talk about. There isn't much "there" there in Mormonism, but that means there's not much in ex-Mormonism either.

SuperDell wrote:
Contemporaneous accounts of Jesus compared to contemporaneous accounts of Mohammed? Any real difference here? Enough so one would be more believable than the other?

I understand The Holy Bible accounts of Jesus are not written while he was supposedly alive. How about accounts of Mohammed?

Only using Mohammed because of a major religion based on his life and teachings is as big as Christianity.

The evidence from the Islamic tradition regarding Muhammad outside of the Qur'an (which presents its own problems) is even farther removed from that religious founderthan the evidence for Jesus is from Christian sources: two decades separate Jesus from Paul, but Muhammad gets his first mention in Arabic texts not for nearly 150 years after his death, although there are near-contemporary accounts in Christian sources (the earliest is just after Muhammad's death: an annotation in manuscript of Gospels, which is ironic for the conversation on this thread). This doesn't necessarily mean it's weaker, since the oral tradition is not easily dismissed, and there have been no scenarios that have been put forth that are all that convincing except to the polemically inspired (e.g. the infamous Christoph Luxenberg, whose work exhibits all the hallmarks of an unhinged conspiracist but few of the dedicated philologist).

To the question of the reliability of ancient texts, I think in general one should assume reliability until presented with a compelling reason that can be rationally articulated (i.e. not just emotionally compelling) by recourse to other kinds of evidence that are subject to less dispute and ambiguity. Apologists and polemicists often plunge their fingers into the history of the transmission of ancient texts in order to pull out an implication that is misleading in the effort to invent dispute and ambiguity that isn't really there: "our earliest Roman historian (or whatever) is in a manuscript only from the 9th century, a thousand years after Caesar; you aren't questioning that author's reliability, so why are you giving my New Testament such a hard time!? It has papyrus fragments that go back to the 2ND CENTURY! It's because you're biased! Well, I'm a hard-headed historian who isn't biased, so I'm just gonna use math: 2 comes before 9—so there!" Through that jagged line of specious reasoning, we have it impressed on our minds, though it is rarely stated explicitly, that the gospels are therefore at least as reliable as any ancient historian, perhaps even more reliable.

Well, yes, of course, the 2nd century is before the 9th century, but what's the point actually? The reason we don't have texts that are earlier in most cases than the 9th century isn't because they were first composed in 9th century but because they happened to be copied then. Most ancient texts were written on papyrus scrolls, as everybody knows, and it doesn't last long unless it's buried in a dry desert. For some reason, ancient readers didn't like burying their books in a dry desert, and they also seemed not to like papyrus scrolls, which were very cumbersome to use when compared to a new technology: the codex (book). They ditched them when they had the chance of it.

In the fourth and fifth centuries, if it was worth keeping, a work on papyrus was laboriously copied into a book; otherwise, it was left to rot or put to a more hygienic use (I have actually handled a papyrus fragment of Homer from the 2nd century with that distinctive dark-brown smear across the papyrus). Some went into trash heaps, and out of the heaps in Egypt we get most of papyrus fragments, but only because the desert desiccated them.

But then, there was a problem with handwriting and scripts that became acute as something like a book trade among monasteries developed in Late Antiquity and the middle ages: a copyist in one monastery couldn't read the work he was supposed to copy from another (or from an earlier copyist). As a practical remedy, a standardized script was developed, associated with the Carolingian court of the 9th century, and the memo went out, so to speak: a new round of recopying into the new script meant that anything not deemed to be worth the serious labor recopying demanded wasn't included in the system upgrade. Stuff not recopied was lost in various ways, even through recycling as palimpsests (i.e. scraping off the text and reusing the parchment or vellum that constituted "paper"), since books were not the cheap technology they are today.

Something similar goes on with Google Books: the stuff deemed most important gets scanned and uploaded soonest and with the greatest attention; less important stuff is less attentively scanned or not scanned at all. Archive.org has plenty of examples of poor scans—I especially hate it when fingers and hands show up—but that doesn't mean the original didn't exist; likewise, not all copyists were of the highest caliber and those of the highest caliber weren't always having a good day, but that doesn't mean anything about the historical reliability of the texts they were copying. It just isn't relevant.

Of course, this little primer on transmission of manuscripts is vastly oversimplified but its main outlines are reliable and they get to the point I want to make: the problem when someone invokes this "9th century fallacy," as I'm going to call it for now, isn't that there is a gap between the "text" and the events described in the event. The "text" is for the most part usually pretty stable and is often shown to be reliable when we can check up on them (i.e. a papyrus find, or an earlier manuscript is discovered). It's just a later edition of the text, not a late text. The real problem for me has nothing to do with historical reliability but with the fact that so much has been lost.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

I guess I can be confident that the 9th century text is a recopied version of a text that originated a thousand years earlier or so. It seems reasonable to assume that people copied things that they thought were genuine ancient texts, and did the copying as well as they could.

But how sure should we really be that the end result of this chain of copying was an accurate account of what really happened a thousand years before? How unlikely is it that someone made an honest mistake, somewhere along the line of recopying, and mistook a rumor or urban legend for gospel (sorry) truth?

Frankly, if I hear that we have Brutus confessing to Cicero, "I stabbed him!", I can't help thinking Isn't this a little too good to be true? Am I really just an ignorant lay person for thinking that? Or are professional historians a little too invested in the assumptions without which their trade would be futile to admit how uncertain everything is?

[The case for the historical Jesus] is weak in relation to case for the historical existence of Franklin Roosevelt, still weaker than historical Caesar and Alexander ...

I'm afraid it doesn't reassure me to see Symmachus apparently saying that the historical existence of FDR is less certain than that of Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great. I'm sorry, but that just really sounds like you've drunk the kool-aid of your profession. We have video of FDR. We have photographs. We have recordings of fireside chats. There are still a few people alive who remember the man. How the hell is this weaker evidence than we have for Julius Caesar?
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Physics Guy wrote:
[The case for the historical Jesus] is weak in relation to case for the historical existence of Franklin Roosevelt, still weaker than historical Caesar and Alexander ...

I'm afraid it doesn't reassure me to see Symmachus apparently saying that the historical existence of FDR is less certain than that of Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great. I'm sorry, but that just really sounds like you've drunk the kool-aid of your profession. We have video of FDR. We have photographs. We have recordings of fireside chats. There are still a few people alive who remember the man. How the hell is this weaker evidence than we have for Julius Caesar?

You may be misinterpreting what he said.