Dan Petersen and NDEs.(Near Death Experiences

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Dan Petersen and NDEs.(Near Death Experiences

Post by _aussieguy55 »

In the current dust up with Dan and Maxwell some mention was made of Dan possibly writing something on Near Death Experiences. I have been reading a little on the idea of the soul and body in the work of some Christian philosophers at Fuller Seminary who do not believe there is a spirit in the body(dualism) These books are Nancy Murphy Bodies and Souls or Spirited Bodies? and Whatever Happened to the Soul? If there is no soul/spirit then there are no spirits waiting for Temple proxy baptisms. Warren Brown one of the authors told me his opinion of NDEs " The reason for this is that I don’t believe NDEs prove anything about the afterlife. When the brain is deoxygenated and then recovering, all sorts strange things can happen creating “memories” of experiences that were not actual experiences. The hippocampus which is critical form memory consolidation and retrieval is very oxygen sensitive and is no-doubt significantly disturbed by any reduced brain oxygen. The visual cortex of the brain when even marginally deoxygenated creates abnormal visual patterns (often associated with migraine headaches).So, the experiences are likely to be the outcome of deoxygenated brain. Given many other possibilities, it is hard to accept NDE as proof of anything about life after death."
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Petersen and NDEs.(Near Death Experiences

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

aussieguy55 wrote:In the current dust up with Dan and Maxwell some mention was made of Dan possibly writing something on Near Death Experiences. I have been reading a little on the idea of the soul and body in the work of some Christian philosophers at Fuller Seminary who do not believe there is a spirit in the body(dualism) These books are Nancy Murphy Bodies and Souls or Spirited Bodies? and Whatever Happened to the Soul? If there is no soul/spirit then there are no spirits waiting for Temple proxy baptisms. Warren Brown one of the authors told me his opinion of NDEs " The reason for this is that I don’t believe NDEs prove anything about the afterlife. When the brain is deoxygenated and then recovering, all sorts strange things can happen creating “memories” of experiences that were not actual experiences. The hippocampus which is critical form memory consolidation and retrieval is very oxygen sensitive and is no-doubt significantly disturbed by any reduced brain oxygen. The visual cortex of the brain when even marginally deoxygenated creates abnormal visual patterns (often associated with migraine headaches).So, the experiences are likely to be the outcome of deoxygenated brain. Given many other possibilities, it is hard to accept NDE as proof of anything about life after death."

Dan will never publish anything on the subject. Read my sig line.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

aussieguy55 wrote:In the current dust up with Dan and Maxwell some mention was made of Dan possibly writing something on Near Death Experiences. I have been reading a little on the idea of the soul and body in the work of some Christian philosophers at Fuller Seminary who do not believe there is a spirit in the body(dualism) These books are Nancy Murphy Bodies and Souls or Spirited Bodies? and Whatever Happened to the Soul? If there is no soul/spirit then there are no spirits waiting for Temple proxy baptisms. Warren Brown one of the authors told me his opinion of NDEs " The reason for this is that I don’t believe NDEs prove anything about the afterlife. When the brain is deoxygenated and then recovering, all sorts strange things can happen creating “memories” of experiences that were not actual experiences. The hippocampus which is critical form memory consolidation and retrieval is very oxygen sensitive and is no-doubt significantly disturbed by any reduced brain oxygen. The visual cortex of the brain when even marginally deoxygenated creates abnormal visual patterns (often associated with migraine headaches).So, the experiences are likely to be the outcome of deoxygenated brain. Given many other possibilities, it is hard to accept NDE as proof of anything about life after death."

One question I would have is how do people have memory of Near Death Experiences, including conversations that took place by emergency personnel. Maybe some window opens up unconsciousness to the point where you can observe what is happening during trauma. When I go to sleep, I wake up and I don't know what was happening around me when I was asleep. Something critical for information processing (seeing, hearing, processing, etc.) is blood pressure and oxygenated blood. Something a lot of people are not getting during a heart attack and stroke. Bill Reel recently interviewed the contriverasial cleric John Shelby Spong. He talked about a stroke he had and floating in the room and watching the emergency personnel work on him. He knew that they cut off his clerical shirt and gave it to his wife, and during a later conversation she confirmed it, but was sort of baffled how he knew it. One question I would also have is do deaf and blind people see and hear during a Near Death Experience. A quick google search would lead one to believe they do, but more careful study would need to be done. As to Mormonism, Near Death Experiences teach us that you don't need some special service to be with your family after death; over and over deceased family members appear during the NDE. Very interesting conversations and observations have been written about. I remember reading about one NDE where someone had a conversation with deceased family members and there was one who the person did not recognize. After they were brought back, they went on with their life. Then a few years later, they were doing some genealogy (pretty sure the story was not a Mormon one) and saw a picture of the person they didn't recognize during their NDE in and old family album. The one book that I want to read but keep putting it off is Mary C. Neal's MD, who had a kayaking accident and drowned at the bottom of a waterfall in Chile, but came back and wrote a book about her experience. Is it just a loving, calm, peaceful light? Some say they saw Jesus. Do Hindu's see Jesus. Do deceased family members tell Catholics to make sure they join the Mormon church and go to the temple when the wake up?
I want to fly!
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:

The only thing holding him back is that someone else hasn't written it yet...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

He is being misunderstood. He is actually going to write about Near Donut Experiences.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

I have a question wrote:The only thing holding him back is that someone else hasn't written it yet...

This seems to be a requirement for old Ditto Copy Pasterson.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

A correction to your signature line: “2012” should read “2014.”
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:

A correction to your signature line: “2012” should read “2014.”

Thanks Tom. You are correct as usual. I’ve corrected the date.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

I read a book on near-death experiences from LDS members. It had about 20 or so LDS accounts as I recall as well as typical ones from other religions for comparison purposes.

The LDS folks told amazing things unique to LDS perspective, seeing Joseph Smith, Temples, new names, etc. The non-LDS people never saw anything uniquely LDS.

The end conclusion is that people 'see' the things that they expect to see based on how they were raised and what they believe. Of course no credible evidence was ever given. Some LDS went into great detail and wrote their own books probably in an effort to make $$$.