Holland?????s BYU Speech - a victory for Satan?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Holland’s BYU Speech - a victory for Satan?

Post by _I have a question »

The question for the institute is the question eventually for all humankind. How do we best and most warmly open that door, personally and professionally, and on what do we sup when the Master is admitted? Will our time and conversation in the Maxwell Institute be consistent in every way with His gospel, His grace, His life, and His loving, persistent plea to “Come, follow me”?8
You must be thinking this opening a bit melodramatic for the purposes of this particular gathering— referencing the First Vision, continuing revelation, the advent of the true King, the significance of end times generally. I prefer to see it as apostolic. These are the topics that absorb fifteen of us who toss and turn when we would like to sleep and slumber.
In that spirit, my friends, I can think of few other entities on this campus that have received the attention from the General Officers of the Church that the Maxwell Institute has—at least lately. I offer my non-campus- wide, non–Marriott Center appearance in this modest venue as evidence of that tonight. The Lord’s prophet, who chairs your board, and his fellow apostles, who sit with him, sent me to you. We hope it is affirming to you to have their strong, active interest in you at a time when the direction and priorities of the Church are being discussed as almost never before. We hope you welcome such focused attention, as you are measured for your role in these developments.

https://mi.byu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -small.pdf

In other words the Maxwell Institute’s job is to preach the gospel rather than pursue academic/scholarly endeavour, unless those endeavours show the Church to be true. Its job is faith promoting missionary work.

That puts the true scholar in a bit of a quandary. What if their academic faith promoting studies lead to a conclusion that runs contrary to the “party line”? Do they publish? Do they adjust/omit the problematic evidences and then publish?

Is Holland asking, no...demanding, that they lie?

Of course, the missions of the Church and BYU are not identical, but their missions certainly can never be at odds with each other. And in the case of the Church and the Maxwell Institute, their missions must come as close together as an ecclesiastical sponsor and an academic recipient of that sponsorship can be. So if the university is to reflect the best the Church has to offer by way of a world-class academic endeavor, no apologies to anyone, the Neal A. Maxwell Institute must see
itself as among the best the university has to offer, as a faithful, rich, rewarding center of faith-promoting gospel scholarship enlivened by remarkable disciple-scholars.
Of our commitment to seek learning generally, Elder Maxwell said: “There is as much vastness in the theology of the Restoration as in the stretching universe. ‘There is space there’ for the full intellectual stretching of any serious disciple. There is room ‘enough and to spare’ for all the behavioral development one is willing to undertake.”9
But not all truths are of equal importance, and in using the disciple-scholar metaphor—that hyphenated noun Elder Maxwell left us as part of his marvelous linguistic legacy—the spiritual half of that union was always the more important. “Though I have spoken of the disciple-scholar,” he said, “in the end all the hyphen- ated words come off. We are finally disciples—men and women of Christ.”10

That’s an interesting, mealy-mouthed exhortation that sounds very similar to:
There is a temptation for the writer or the teacher of Church history to want to tell everything, whether it is worthy or faith promoting or not.
Some things that are true are not very useful.

https://www.lds.org/manual/teaching-sem ... t?lang=eng

Let’s review Holland’s exhortation to only produce academic study at BYU/Maxwell Institute that is faith promoting against the Church’s definition of honesty.

Lying is intentionally deceiving others. Bearing false witness is one form of lying. The Lord gave this commandment to the children of Israel: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Jesus also taught this when He was on earth (see Matthew 19:18). There are many other forms of lying. When we speak untruths, we are guilty of lying. We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest.
The Lord is not pleased with such dishonesty, and we will have to account for our lies. Satan would have us believe it is all right to lie. He says, “Yea, lie a little; … there is no harm in this” (2 Nephi 28:8). Satan encourages us to justify our lies to ourselves. Honest people will recognize Satan’s temptations and will speak the whole truth, even if it seems to be to their disadvantage.

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... y?lang=eng

Is Holland delivering another victory for Satan?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: Holland’s BYU Speech - a victory for Satan?

Post by _deacon blues »

When Elder Holland speaks of the advent of the true king, he is probably not speaking of Joseph Smith's coronation at the Council of Fifty meeting, or is he?
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

You have to go to a pretty good school and read some good books in order to be able to so eloquently tell BYU scholars to check their integrity at the door.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Holland or the dodo is supposedly a good guy, according to a friend who knows him pretty well. For me, I can't get this picture out of my mind every time I think of him.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

"Honesty-schmonesty, I want to see you taffy-pulling patty-caker
Maxwellites come up with some raw stuff just like those paragons
of Latter-day defense at the Interpreter!"
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

After reading that speech I have to say, no wonder Dan Peterson and Midgely were so excited. Holland told them fools at the Maxwell to do exactly what Dan and Louis had been preaching for years--don't do scholarship, per se, just churn stuff out that speaks well to the old lady in Parowan.

It seems to me the brethren are tired of people challenging them. They need sides more defined, battle lines drawn, and people to be with them explicitly in all things. There are too many uncontested slam dunks these days, apparently. This speech tells me the brethren really need people fighting for them more. They can't answer tough questions or deal with the difficult issues of the Church because, well, that's not what leaders do. At least not in today's world.

About four years ago, at the university’s invitation, three outside scholars reviewed the circumstances the institute was then facing and wrote nineteen pages of observations. Some of what they said addressed the matter of apologetics broadly defined.

Who are these outside scholars? And by "at the university's invitation" does he not mean the board of the U, which happens to be the 15? So in 2014 the 15 found 3 scholars, no doubt men, perhaps even "scholars" that were picked out of the quorums of 70, to ascertain whether the Maxwell was doing what is was meant to do. This after the "big" overthrow of 2012? Maybe Dan's please after the overthrow started catching someone's ear a couple years after it happened. I doubt there were any chairmen of the board coming to BYU to change the Maxwell's course when Dan was in charge, huh?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Stem wrote:Who are these outside scholars?
If I recall correctly one of them was Holland's son.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

I have a question wrote:If I recall correctly one of them was Holland's son.

lol. That's' awesome. No wonder Holland came to denounce these seculars from trying to sneak in irrelevancies into BYU.

That's as outside as you can get. Its funny people think of outside reviewers to be those who have no particular interest, in order for conclusions to stretch towards the objective rather than the other way around.