Argentina MTC to close.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Argentina MTC to close.

Post by _I have a question »

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced it will close its missionary training center located in Buenos Aires, Argentina, effective July 2019. Plans for future use of the facilities will be determined in coordination with local leaders. Following the closure, missionaries who would have attended this center will be trained in the Mexico and Brazil MTCs.

"This decision comes as Church leaders continue to seek the best use of resources worldwide according to the needs and demands of each area. Specifically, this closure is designed to better utilize the Mexico and Brazil MTCs, among others, to train the large numbers of missionaries who are assigned to serve in Latin America."

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... se-in-july
So the Brazil and Mexico MTC’s are under-utilised.

Previously...
The Argentina Missionary Training Center (MTC) was one of the first international MTCs established by the Church. In October 1985, just three months before the dedication of the Buenos Aires Temple by President Thomas S. Monson (then Second Counselor in the First Presidency), the Centro de Entrenamiento de Misioneros (CEM) de Argentina (the Missionary Training Center of Argentina) first opened. It was housed in an unused chapel in the Mejia district of Buenos Aires and trained approximately 20 Spanish-speaking missionaries every three weeks.

Because of the success of the CEM, plans were finalized to construct a larger and more specialized facility on the extra land surrounding the Buenos Aires Temple. In March of 1994, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles dedicated a new CEM building that housed more than 80 missionaries, and shortly thereafter, the name was changed to the Centro de Capacitación Misional (CCM). With the larger facility, the number of missionaries attending increased to over 500 per year.

In September 2008, the training program was expanded to include Spanish language instruction. English-speaking missionaries assigned to either of the two Uruguay missions would travel directly to the Argentina MTC and receive their training in the Spanish language before going to their missions.

The Argentina MTC was recently remodeled and now houses more than 90 missionaries, approximately 40% of which are English-speaking missionaries learning Spanish to serve in the missions of both Uruguay and Paraguay. The MTC president oversees the missionaries and is supported by a permanent staff of eight full-time employees plus 16 to 20 part-time teachers. The teachers have been selected from among the best returned missionaries available.

https://www.lds.org/callings/missionary ... t?lang=eng

Remodelled in 2012, closed in 2019. What a waste of money. What a lack of foresight.

March 2015, Prophet, Seer and Revelator...
"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php? ... type=CMSID
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Re: Argentina MTC to close.

Post by _Sanctorian »

I think it’s becoming clear that Monson was a false prophet. His presidency more than an other prophet has been completely undone in just a short few years since his passing. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had a word of wisdom problem or maybe even a masturbation problem. Can’t have the spirit when you engage in such gross sins.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

All this is just wonderful news!

it makes me brim with joy!

:smile:

Praise Gawd!
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Here’s the apologetic...
The three international missionary training centers closed in January 2019 were in Santiago, Chile, and Madrid, Spain, as announced in March 2018; and in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, as announced in December 2018. The Argentina MTC in Buenos Airies is scheduled to close in July. The announcements cited Church leaders continuing to seek the best use of resources worldwide, with plans for the future use of the facilities and space still being determined.

The closing of MTCs is nothing new — other previous training centers that have since been shuttered include those in Tokyo, Japan, and Seoul, South Korea.

We have actually learned that it is often less expensive to bring a missionary to Provo than to maintain an MTC in their home country,” said Elder Nielson. “And they can come here and have a good experience, they can go to Temple Square, they can see the Church’s headquarters. ... We’re always looking at the best and most efficient ways possible.”

With the closures, the Church now has 11 missionary training centers — the aforementioned in Provo, Mexico, Brazil, Philippines, Ghana and New Zealand as well as the Argentina, Colombia, England, Guatemala, Peru and South Africa MTCs.

It’s not only saving costs, it’s making us more efficient in training the missionaries,” Elder Nielson said, adding that the decisions have nothing to do with the number of missionaries worldwide but taking advantage of available resources. “It’s been a good change.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/20 ... mtcs-48962

With the closing of four of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ missionary training centers in Spain, Chile, Argentina and the Dominican Republic, one might expect a subsequent decrease in the number of missionaries being trained at international locations.

However, more missionaries have been trained outside of the flagship Provo Missionary Training Center for several years — and that trend is expected to increase this year and in years to come.

So they’ve had the spare capacity to the equivalent of four full Missionary Training centres for several years.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Nielson wrote:We have actually learned that it is often less expensive to bring a missionary to Provo than to maintain an MTC in their home country

Why are they needing to learn how to waste the sacred funds of the church doing inefficient things? The Lord could have just told the prophet at the get-go: "Behold, bring my servants to Salt Lake City wherein they can be trained and then go forth into my vineyard".

Hey stupid!

:lol:
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

Right, but he didn't mean at the same time.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Shulem wrote:
Nielson wrote:We have actually learned that it is often less expensive to bring a missionary to Provo than to maintain an MTC in their home country

Why are they needing to learn how to waste the sacred funds of the church doing inefficient things? The Lord could have just told the prophet at the get-go: "Behold, bring my servants to Salt Lake City wherein they can be trained and then go forth into my vineyard".

Hey stupid!

:lol:

Exactly. To sound like a prophet he should have said, "We're closing the MTC because the Lord told us to. That's all we know." Or "The decision is too sacred to explain in this venue."
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Seriously. When are these “prophets” going to learn the only way to stop the bleeding is to start making end of dayzzz prophecies?

“Thus saith the lord, we shall close the Argentina MTC to prepare for the second coming of our lord and savior.”
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The Dude wrote:Exactly. To sound like a prophet he should have said, "We're closing the MTC because the Lord told us to. That's all we know." Or "The decision is too sacred to explain in this venue."

The apostles have tipped their hand in revealing they are nothing more than business leaders trying to manage a corporation masquerading as a church led by living prophets. They don't know the future anymore than the imaginary person they pray to. How about the Houston Temple? It was flooded just 20 years after it was constructed. You'd think that prophetic insight would have inspired them to build elsewhere or provide means to hold the water back.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Sanctorian wrote:Seriously. When are these “prophets” going to learn the only way to stop the bleeding is to start making end of dayzzz prophecies?

“Thus saith the lord, we shall close the Argentina MTC to prepare for the second coming of our lord and savior.”

Joseph Smith ran his mouth in that prophetic vein some 200 years ago and so-far there is no sign of Jesus coming in the clouds to receive his church. Jesus is not coming back. It's not going to happen. It's prophetic fantasy. The Mormons are going to have to deal with the concept of "last days" running a long course going into overtime. Are Mormons still going to believe they are in the last days 75 years from now, 100? It's going to get harder and harder to keep that story up.