Feeling Stupid. . . . . .

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SPG
_Emeritus

Feeling Stupid. . . . . .

Post by _SPG »

I was wondering, in the scope of things. How many of us feel stupid for having been deceived, (for those that think they were) and how that sits with how they feel about things now.

Does anyone feel comfortable with how they think about God, the universe, and stuff now, whereas in they thought Joseph Smith deceived them?

I was doing a lecture that other day and the subject was, "Believing for the effect of it, not the truth of it." For example, most of the old rulers, pharaohs, emperors, some kings, Hercules, Horus, Osiris, not to forget Jesus, all thought they were sons of God. And Jesus, bless him, tried to convince us we were children of God.

Knowing full well there is not way to prove it, how does it sit with non-believers the effects of these types of beliefs. Like, the ruling social powers of the earth of God believers. Probably always will. Does it bother you that I think I am a son of God?

Does something have to be true to believe it, or could you believe it just for the effect of believing it?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Feeling Stupid. . . . . .

Post by _Dr. Shades »

SPG wrote:Does something have to be true to believe it, . . .

No. Humans are exceptionally adept at believing in things that aren't true. (Shocking, I realize.)

. . . or could you believe it just for the effect of believing it?

That depends. What is the effect of believing it?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I do not feel anymore stupid for believing in Joseph Smith than I do for believing in Santa Claus.

There are exceptions.

If you have fallen for the myth that Donald Trump is an effective leader, you should feel stupid.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_SPG
_Emeritus

Post by _SPG »

Dr. Shades wrote:That depends. What is the effect of believing it?

Purpose, world domination, understanding of the universe

Name it, belief could makes it yours.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

Like most humans I was born ignorant, but not necessarily stupid. (I’m probably not Mensa material) However, like most humans I’ve been blessed with a moderate capacity for learning. I more or less absorbed the information typically taught in the MORCOR, until I was sent on a mission. Learning about other world views loaded my shelf, and then seeing the other side of Church history broke my shelf. I just responded to the available information.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
_SPG
_Emeritus

Post by _SPG »

Fence Sitter wrote:If you have fallen for the myth that Donald Trump is an effective leader, you should feel stupid.

Yeah, that is me. The faith is strong in that one. He is like the prophets of old, standing on the city walls, impervious to the stones and arrows.
_SPG
_Emeritus

Post by _SPG »

deacon blues wrote:Learning about other world views loaded my shelf, and then seeing the other side of. Church history broke my shelf. I just responded to the available information.

So seeing the value in other cultures caused you to lose the value in your own?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I look back and feel embarrassed I didn't openly disagree with the Priesthood Ban at the time it was in operation.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

SPG wrote:Does it bother you that I think I am a son of God?

As long as it does not harm others it is no skin off my nose. Believe away and bless yourself as you see fit!

Does something have to be true to believe it, or could you believe it just for the effect of believing it?

There is a sliding scale of belief, from a passing fancy to a cosmic level of trust. The variability of that scale suits me well since it allows for the simultaneous belief in the works of Tolkien, Christianity, Mormanity, and the Society for Creative Anachronism. That way I can indulge myself and maintain a modicum of rationality. Even so, this variability has its limits and precludes me from accepting really far out stuff like Jar Jar Binks and the Book of Abraham.

I look back and feel embarrassed I didn't openly disagree with the Priesthood Ban at the time it was in operation.

That racial ban helped drive me from the Church and kept me away for many years. I was unable to compartmentalize both Church doctrine and my own sense of right and wrong.

I think "Mopologetics" can help in this regard since it teaches us to observe truth in relative terms such as the aforementioned sliding scale of belief.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SPG
_Emeritus

Post by _SPG »

moksha wrote:As long as it does not harm others it is no skin off my nose. Believe away and bless yourself as you see fit!

If my belief hurt someone, or infringe, I submit to the power of state. As long as that power is based on someone else crazy beliefs.

The variability of that scale suits me well since it allows for the simultaneous belief in the works of Tolkien, Christianity, Mormanity, and the Society for Creative Anachronism. That way I can indulge myself and maintain a modicum of rationality.

We agree here. Tolkien, The Jedi Order, Elvis, have all spawned a surprising number of followers. And if you tried, you could probably agree with some of the reasons those people practice those ideals. And we probably agree that there would be plenty of reasons not to follow such ideals.

That racial ban helped drive me from the Church and kept me away for many years. I was unable to compartmentalize both Church doctrine and my own sense of right and wrong.

This idea really does embarrass a lot of Mormons. Joseph Smith ordained someone named Ike to priesthood, but his fellow brethren nearly lost their minds. We are all part of evolution, and someday, someone will look back and be embarrassed about your reaction to something. And when they read my tombstone, it will say, "did the best I could. Bite me."