Question for Cinepro or others that still attend?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Question for Cinepro or others that still attend?

Post by _candygal »

Well...in some newspapers...Mormon is still used to explain what the Church of Jesus Christ actually is...a missionary is not going to be able to pull this off..."I am a member of the the Church of Jesus Christ"...formerly the Mormon church..no way to get around that which is a stupid is...stupid does brainfart from Nelson.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

As President of the Church, I formally declare that it's okay to say "Mormon" again. Whatever the members are comfortable with so am I. It's time to move on.

_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Craig Paxton wrote:If my still believing wife is any indication...it is totally taking hold. She has avoided the use of Mormon in conversations with me ever since Nelson's talk. I have also noticed my other TBM family members following suit. It's as if someone turn a light switch on and instantaneously everyone fell into mind numbing conformity. It's actually rather creepy and cultish.

Does she correct you, or is she offended if you use the word Mormon?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Purely anecdotal, if I'm not making that clear enough, but I'd say it's 50-50. Some are very adamant, clear and precise in articulating the name, when speaking about the Church. Others seem to hardly care or pay much attention to the notion that God is offended or Satan gets all excited when using the term Mormon and use the nickname at their convenience, without concern, fear or shame.

I'm not active, but I talk to actives all the time.
_jfro18
_Emeritus

Post by _jfro18 »

I've seen people get beyond offended when "Mormon" is used and I've seen people not seem to care.

But I will say the people that tend to post on social media about church stuff are already 'all-in' so they are more likely to abide by Nelson's "revelation."

My believing wife told me that she didn't take offense but that she believed it was more for people in the church to focus on Christ. I think she's right about that - their current Facebook ad makes no mention of what their church is and gives the impression it's a non-denominational Christian church, even when you click on the ad you have to scroll half way down to see the tiny "free Book of Mormon" option. They are trying very hard to lure people in by presenting themselves as a different church.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

I knew this one guy who accidentally said "Mormon" instead of "member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints" and he was instantly struck by lightning and died. So Mormons better use the correct terminology, or else.

On a serious note, does anyone know what the punishment is for saying "Mormon"? Other than social shaming and guilt trips, is there an actual punishment? Can anyone take away your "member is good standing" status?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

I think you are spot on. It is about appearance to those outside the church that, as an example, equate Mormon with Polygamy, and not much else.

They want to be a different church, but they don’t want to change the doctrines that make them what they are, Mormons, they just want to change the name.

As a ex-Mormon I find it offensive to my ancestors that died believing and defending their being Mormon. I am still proud of my Mormon heritage...I am embarrassed by my once LDS faith.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Arc
_Emeritus

Post by _Arc »

Markk wrote:I am still proud of my Mormon heritage...I am embarrassed by my once LDS faith.

This ^ seems about right. It was great growing up Mormon in a rural community with lots of other Mormons and a strong, well functioning Branch. Now, not so much. In fact, not at all.

As to the OP, my occasionally attending but non-believing spouse doesn't use the word Mormon any more. It is simply referred to as "Church" or "The Church" nowadays.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things which lifts human life a little above the level of farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." Steven Weinberg
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

Markk wrote:As a ex-Mormon I find it offensive to my ancestors that died believing and defending their being Mormon. I am still proud of my Mormon heritage...I am embarrassed by my once LDS faith.

Try to think of it like this: we're all ex-Mormons now.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Markk wrote:I think you are spot on. It is about appearance to those outside the church that, as an example, equate Mormon with Polygamy, and not much else.

They want to be a different church, but they don’t want to change the doctrines that make them what they are, Mormons, they just want to change the name.

As a ex-Mormon I find it offensive to my ancestors that died believing and defending their being Mormon. I am still proud of my Mormon heritage...I am embarrassed by my once LDS faith.

Did I miss a thread you were going to write about your journey?