Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Position

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Position

Post by _Meadowchik »

But a long sought-after police recording recently obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune offers new details about this controversy, including that Bishop says he immediately told his church leaders about his inappropriate behavior — and still maintained his position of power.

Bishop’s assertion that he had confessed to his ecclesiastical leaders in the 1980s contradicts an earlier statement from church officials, who have said they first became aware of the allegations in 2010.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/06 ... urch-know/

Salt Lake Tribune covers the released police interview with Bishop.

I'm sure there was no risk associated with Bishop remaining at the MTC, right?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Jospeh Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, kept his MTC posit

Post by _moksha »

This sounds bad and the Church needs to do some damage control. Perhaps like Kirton McConkie could put out dossiers on those two so-called "BYU Police Interviewers" and feed them straight to Mike Norton.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I wonder how those denizens of denial over at the other board will handle the news of a failure to release Brother Bishop after the confession? Attack Denson? Attack Denson and whatever poster mentions the unfavorable news? Denial of what was said? Bishop was just recovering from a heart ailment and probably forgot how to deny reality for a moment .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Exiled wrote:I wonder how those denizens of denial over at the other board will handle the news of a failure to release Brother Bishop after the confession? Attack Denson? Attack Denson and whatever poster mentions the unfavorable news? Denial of what was said? Bishop was just recovering from a heart ailment and probably forgot how to deny reality for a moment .....

Probably claim that he had dementia when he admitted this, so his confession isn't reliable.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: Joseph Bishop Confessed in the 1980s, Kept His MTC Posit

Post by _consiglieri »

I have reason to believe that at the end of this interview Joseph Bishop recalls he was contacted by Carlos Asay's office regarding McKenna's allegation to her YSA bishop.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

consiglieri wrote:I have reason to believe that at the end of this interview Joseph Bishop recalls he was contacted by Carlos Asay's office regarding McKenna's allegation to her YSA bishop.

So the full interview has not been released, then?
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

MsJack wrote:
Exiled wrote:I wonder how those denizens of denial over at the other board will handle the news of a failure to release Brother Bishop after the confession? Attack Denson? Attack Denson and whatever poster mentions the unfavorable news? Denial of what was said? Bishop was just recovering from a heart ailment and probably forgot how to deny reality for a moment .....

Probably claim that he had dementia when he admitted this, so his confession isn't reliable.

Yes, but the church hasn't claimed dementia in the Denson lawsuit that I am aware. One would think they would have done so if he really suffered from it. Maybe selective dementia .... the kind that rears its head when faced with discomfort?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

So L-d$,inc gets caught lying again.

What else is new?

Members will know it is just Anti-stuff in another effort to make the church look bad while they also "know" the members are not perfect - just the Church.

Won't have much of an effect.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Exiled wrote:Yes, but the church hasn't claimed dementia in the Denson lawsuit that I am aware. One would think they would have done so if he really suffered from it. Maybe selective dementia .... the kind that rears its head when faced with discomfort?

The Church argued that the time limit for the crime passed many years ago because everyone knew he was clearly guilty way back when. This new information shows that the Church was telling the truth about everyone knowing Bishop was guilty.

As to how this will be argued at the Mormon D&D board, they will go at it with a multi-pronged approach of denials, obfuscations, and ad hominems. That approach has been working for them since Nibley first climbed on land with his fins and learned that his new operational lungs enabled him to quibble with the truth.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace