Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Stocks
_Emeritus

Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Stocks »

https://www.patheos.com/terms-of-use

Emphasis added.

4. RULES OF CONDUCT
As part of the Patheos community, you will be participating in a new dialogue about some of the most important topics in the world. And that new dialogue is:

A. Respectful and Elevated. Here we seek to better understand each other. That requires us to engage courteously and respectfully, even when we are engaging with someone with whom we fundamentally disagree.

Louis Midgley: 0 / 1
Consistently uses disrespectful and insulting language and personal attacks. Often these personal attacks are made explicit, as in "I intended to insult XXX".

B. Open, yet Safe. Anyone who desires to be part of the conversation can engage, but [b][i]abuse will not be tolerated. Remember though: when you truly engage with someone from another faith, you often find that his or her world-view and yours are in conflict.[/i][/b]

Louis Midgley: 0 / 2
Verbally abuses others with derogatory terms such as "stupid", "poor", "mindless", "snot blowing", "lame", "dogmatic athiest", "dumb freshman", regardless of how civil those other users are in offering their points of view.

By using the Site in any way, you agree to the following:
c. You agree not to use any part of the Patheos Site to:
i. aggressively and/or repeatedly attempt to proselytize or convert others to what you believe;

Louis Midgley: 0/3
Aggressively puts down the beliefs of others and imposes that the only honest or truthful system of beliefs is the one he espouses.

iv. upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Member Content that is unlawful, misleading, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invades another person's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable (as determined by Patheos in its sole discretion);violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others;

Louis Midgley: 0/4
Invades the privacy of others through posting names and disturbing personal stories of others, without their permission (a.k.a., Doxing). Responds to requests for civility with further abusive demands for anonymous users to expose their real life identities.

v. interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of the Patheos Site;

Louis Midgley: 0/5
Responds to any and all posts submitted by users with whom his views differ with a defamatory, misleading or bigoted retort.

x. upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available [b][i]any Member Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);

Louis Midgley: 0/6
Regularly posts about secret, behind the scenes knowledge of the inner workings of various church departments, including full names, again without permission.

xvi. obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not authorized by this Agreement;

Louis Midgley: 0/7
Makes overt attempts to discover the identities of family members, friends and other associates in order to drag them into the mud along with posters who he deems as enemies.

xvii. intentionally or unintentionally violates this Agreement or any applicable local, state, national or international law and any regulations having the force of law;

Louis Midgley: 0/8
Appears to enjoy underacted privilege to harass any and all other users, under the belief that Daniel C. Peterson is the "owner" of a "personal blog" and the ultimate arbiter of appropriate behavior (presumably meaning that anyone with different beliefs is "fair game").

xix. "stalk" or otherwise harass any other person or entity;

Louis Midgley: 0/9
Follows users and quickly posts a personal insult, as if to chase the users away from engaging in a thoughtful, respectful dialogue. Roughly 50% of Louis Midgley's recent posts are ad hominem attacks on other users, and offer no consideration about the content or merit of their posts.

xx. collect or store personal data about other members in connection with the prohibited conduct and activities set forth in paragraphs a through p above.

Louis Midgley: 0/10
Tracks the behavior of other users on other online boards and uses that information to further strengthen his intimidation tactics.
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Lemmie »

Peterson is on the hook for Midgley's violations, also, as per TOS part 4 D:
D. You agree that you will not permit anyone else to violate this Agreement on any Patheos pages you control...
_Stocks
_Emeritus

Post by _Stocks »

Lemmie wrote:Peterson is on the hook for Midgley's violations, also, as per TOS part 4 D:
D. You agree that you will not permit anyone else to violate this Agreement on any Patheos pages you control...

Good catch! Relevant to the other thread in which he takes responsibility and then disavows responsibility for what other say in his blog.
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Have you reported this to the Powers that Be at Patheos? I mean, in all honesty, there is a part of me that would be bummed if "SeN" were to go away, the but fact is that Midgley, Peterson, and the rest of that crew would find some place else to post--possibly, they'd return to the MD&D board, or they would launch something new. Still, if they were to get booted off of Patheos....it would be epic.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Stocks
_Emeritus

Post by _Stocks »

Have not, yet. Doing so will require assembling the evidence in an organized format. Well let’s let Lou sweat it out in the mean time.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I personally recommend turning the other cheek, unless of course, it gets to the point where it does seem to create a dangerous situation for Gemli. For now, since he seems good with it and quite capable, my vote is to live and let live and let them have their place to socialize.

That said, it's an interesting matter you bring up. Suppose that this forum is in fact the very worst place on the entire internet, as Kiwi57 says it is. Let's look at DCP's logic. Since their own incivility doesn't match the depths of the incivility and libel at the very worse place on the entire internet, then they are not obliged to be any more civil then they are.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Gadianton wrote:I personally recommend turning the other cheek, unless of course, it gets to the point where it does seem to create a dangerous situation for Gemli. For now, since he seems good with it and quite capable, my vote is to live and let live and let them have their place to socialize.

That said, it's an interesting matter you bring up. Suppose that this forum is in fact the very worst place on the entire internet, as Kiwi57 says it is. Let's look at DCP's logic. Since their own incivility doesn't match the depths of the incivility and libel at the very worse place on the entire internet, then they are not obliged to be any more civil then they are.

:lol: And what is up with 57's fixation with grunts and oinks?! It's getting a bit weird.

Also, kudos to Shades for sticking with his question to Midgley re: what difference it makes if gemli has a wife and children?

On a serious note, however, kiwi57 accused a current moderator of this board of giving the private contact information of anonymous posters to their enemies. Now that would be libel, if it weren't so laughably untrue.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I don't think reporting ToS violations to what's effectively their Web host sets a good precedent. We do that and they'll probably try another Seattle Ghostwriter-esque DCMA takedown on this site, then tell us it serves us right, we did it first.

Midgley is . . . Midgley. Dan looks bad for allowing him free reign. Since most people here seem to not like either of them, why stop them?
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

I agree, no need to turn them in, my testimony of the utterly arrogant stupidity of Mormon apologetics which appears to me to be virtually forced to try to win by intimidation and arrogant lame name calling and smear tactics, since they are literally bankrupt of any actual realistic evidence, has been strengthened beyond anything I ever would have believed just a couple years ago. I can personally testify that being in the Celestial Kingdom with Mormons like the apologists convince me the real heaven will be any of the lower kingdoms, while the hoity toity gossipers enjoy themselves in their own Celestial Kingdom. May both of them find eternal joy together for eternity is my humble prayer......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

nd what is up with 57's fixation with grunts and oinks?! It's getting a bit weird.

He's a fantastic writer and he's not that old, and so it is really odd he'd pick such an old-fashioned slur. Language that intones contempt for animals in our time is more likely to be associated with lesser educated and rude people, and not with the educated elite, which is how he, Mr Midgley, and DCP regard themselves.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.