Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Gadianton »

Gad wrote:Whatever the meaning, it just sounds low and crude. Had I ever said anything like that in company of my parents growing up it would have been the last thing I said for a week -- no matter what the meaning supposedly is. And had I used that phrase in the same sentence as the name of Jesus Christ, well, that might have been good for the apologists because I might not have lived to tell the tale.

Oh, I hasten to add: Had I ever said such a thing, regardless of the alleged meaning, in a sentence along with the name of Jesus, and then after getting scolded, made up an origin story for the expression that placed me as the underdog in a David vs. Goliath scenario where I emerged triumphant over a national power, then I'd best have just got my passport stamped for the Seventh Circle of Hell and got on with it.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

What was the point of bringing up Hume, anyway? (and his interpretation wouldn't stand, by the way). That was like another Midgleyism from the same comment section I think, where he revealed something very general was "known to the French." I got the feeling the lesser educated non-believers were supposed to be impressed by his great range of learning.

But my favorite Midgleyism from yesterday was, when he went into a tirade about anonymity, and somebody called him on it for some of the posters on Sic Et Non, including Kiwi57. His response was to say that he knew who Kiw57 was in real life so that was okay. lol. Now that's one of those revealing moments about Mopologist psychology.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Gadianton wrote:
Gad wrote:Whatever the meaning, it just sounds low and crude. Had I ever said anything like that in company of my parents growing up it would have been the last thing I said for a week -- no matter what the meaning supposedly is. And had I used that phrase in the same sentence as the name of Jesus Christ, well, that might have been good for the apologists because I might not have lived to tell the tale.

Oh, I hasten to add: Had I ever said such a thing, regardless of the alleged meaning, in a sentence along with the name of Jesus, and then after getting scolded, made up an origin story for the expression that placed me as the underdog in a David vs. Goliath scenario where I emerged triumphant over a national power, then I'd best have just got my passport stamped for the Seventh Circle of Hell and got on with it.

Amen, brother. My parents too. And grand-parents. And great-grandparents. And the 157 1st and 2nd cousins that infiltrated every place I ever acquainted in my youth. There would have been no getting away with the mopologist language I have recently learned.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Gadianton wrote:Had I ever said anything like that in the company of my parents growing up it would have been the last thing I said for a week -- no matter what the meaning supposedly is.

What if you and your wife had been granted 2nd Indulgences and you were also in possession of the Apologetic Illearth Stone? This is not to say that you would need to be an ordained disciple of Morgoth (formally of the Ainur) or aligned with FARMs.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:But my favorite Midgleyism from yesterday was, when he went into a tirade about anonymity, and somebody called him on it for some of the posters on Sic Et Non, including Kiwi57. His response was to say that he knew who Kiw57 was in real life so that was okay. lol. Now that's one of those revealing moments about Mopologist psychology.

Yes, and don’t forget that the Editor in Chief of SeN has been going crazy with endorsements of one “Peter Pan” who is running a blog devoted to attacking the Heartlanders.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I don't know why this continues to surprise me, maybe it's because for all the weird Mormon stuff I grew up with, this level of mean-spiritedness just did not raise its head. Midgley lives in a far different, and exceedingly nastier world:
Louis Midgley > DanielPeterson • 17 hours ago

Dan, gemli began with the dogma that there can be no evidence. This is his excuse for not being the least bit interested in what learned people and and back in the past actually believed or why they held those beliefs. A mere rotting wad of meat cannot question where the bad smell is coming from or that it is the source, to build on the metaphors he loves to employ.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Mr. Midgley wrote:...to build on the metaphors he loves to employ

emphasis added. OMG.

Also note that in calling Gemli a rotting bag of meat, twice, both DCP and Kiwi up-voted the accusation.

_Stocks
_Emeritus

Post by _Stocks »

The three of them don’t realize how bad they make the church look. It’s pathetic.
… the only thing to do when a man is wrong is to be right by ceasing to be wrong. -- Edwin Lefevre
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

It's okay, Dan. I'm in the "unfortunate initials" club, too. I feel your pain.

-BJ

(But look how well my initials go with our little spit-or-swallow party!)
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

MsJack wrote:It's okay, Dan. I'm in the "unfortunate initials" club, too. I feel your pain.

-BJ

(But look how well my initials go with our little spit-or-swallow party!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: