Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Louis "peckerhead" Midgley draws a line in the sand in order for us rubes to figure out who has 'science' figured out:

"Louis "peckerhead" Midgley > the winsome gemli

gemli: You seem to have failed to notice that Professor Peterson subscribes to Scientific American, and teaches at a university where all the sciences are taught."

That, my friends, is a BYU professor. As a refresher it might help to understand neither Dowsin' Daniel Peterson nor Louis "peckerhead" Midgley have been using scientism correctly when attempt obscure the winsome gemli's points:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism#Pro-scientism

It's a one minute read if anyone is interested.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

That's a good thread, Cam. Gemli is cleaning house. Check out this one:

" Abiogenesis is a scientific question, and it will be answered in the future. The existence of gods is also a scientific question, but it will be answered by understanding human psychology."

Lol!

The blog owner responds to "...existence of gods is also a scientific question":

"Not likely."

Yet, 2 out of 3 threads at SeN are just this: scientific arguments for a God. In this very thread, the Proprietor laments all the science he was taught as a youth as bad science "I was taught wrong". Real science shows that there is a creator, and that Gemli disagrees, proves to Mr. Midgley and others that Gemli doesn't understand science. To understand science properly, is to understand the existence of God. God may be the most important topic of the physical sciences.

Sure, lest they make a lame complaint about "proof", we recognize none of these articles intend to definitively prove there is a God, but many things in science aren't proven, but just shown to be more likely than not, like climate science. Other things are difficult to observe directly, if such observation even makes sense, like strings and twisters, yet they are part of scientific discussion.

Sic et Non has made God not only a scientific question, but probably the most proper scientific question ever asked.

The self-deception around those parts is really staggering.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

God would certainly be the most proper scientific subject, if God could be measured. That's a bit of a hitch.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Just a quick note. The peckerhead didn’t know what cop out meant. He had to Google it. I’m not making it up.

BYU professor, folks.

- Doc
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Dr. Midgley opining on the priesthood and temple ban:
As is now known there were Blacks who joined the Church of Jesus Christ early on. In New Zealand, beginning on Christmas Day in 1882, Maori began to join the Church because they had their own matakite (seers) who prepared them for our missionaries and their message, which fits snugly with the most authentic of ancient Maori lore. And soon the Church of Jesus Christ in New Zealand was primarily Maori. Sixty eight years later, the community of Saints in New Zealand was essentially Maori, and it was difficult to get Pakeha (Europeans) to join what they saw as a Maori Church. Now, of course, the Church is like the United Nations in New Zealand.

I have thought about this for many years. When I was in San Francisco in 1950 waiting to board the SS Sanom, and travel to New Zealand, I had for our five conversations with Blacks while six missionaries were waiting to board that freighter to spend a month traveling to New Zealand. But the other missionaries were not at all happy with my having a conversation with Blacks. I troubled me, but I did not cease doing so, or get into an argument with those five other missionaries. What I discovered then is that out our message resonates with Blacks everywhere. But if we had made any real effort to take our message to Blacks early on, we would have become a Black Church, and then Europeans would have refused to join a Black Church. I have come to realize that the Lord has his own way of doing things.
This is one of the most bizarre explanations I’ve seen.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5060314667
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm
As is now known there were Blacks who joined the Church of Jesus Christ early on. In New Zealand, beginning on Christmas Day in 1882, Maori began to join the Church because they had their own matakite (seers) who prepared them for our missionaries and their message, which fits snugly with the most authentic of ancient Maori lore. And soon the Church of Jesus Christ in New Zealand was primarily Maori. Sixty eight years later, the community of Saints in New Zealand was essentially Maori, and it was difficult to get Pakeha (Europeans) to join what they saw as a Maori Church. Now, of course, the Church is like the United Nations in New Zealand.

I have thought about this for many years. When I was in San Francisco in 1950 waiting to board the SS Sanom, and travel to New Zealand, I had for our five conversations with Blacks while six missionaries were waiting to board that freighter to spend a month traveling to New Zealand. But the other missionaries were not at all happy with my having a conversation with Blacks. I troubled me, but I did not cease doing so, or get into an argument with those five other missionaries. What I discovered then is that out our message resonates with Blacks everywhere. But if we had made any real effort to take our message to Blacks early on, we would have become a Black Church, and then Europeans would have refused to join a Black Church. I have come to realize that the Lord has his own way of doing things.

So the Lord implemented the priesthood ban for 150 years so Europeans would join the Church? Is Midgley on crack? That's one of the most racist comments I've read. Obviously the Mormon god loves Europeans much more than Blacks.

Why didn't the Lord ban Europeans for 150 years so Blacks would join the Church? Someone needs to take Midgley's laptop away before he completely destroys what very little remains of his reputation.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:57 pm
Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm

So the Lord implemented the priesthood ban for 150 years so Europeans would join the Church? Is Midgley on crack? That's one of the most racist comments I've read. Obviously the Mormon god loves Europeans much more than Blacks.

Why didn't the Lord ban Europeans for 150 years so Blacks would join the Church? Someone needs to take Midgley's laptop away before he completely destroys what very little remains of his reputation.
Just the way he uses "the Blacks" seems pejorative. Maybe talking like that was acceptable in 1960's BYU. But he really should shut up talking like that.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

I’m convinced Dowsin’ Dan actually hates the peckerhead.

- Doc
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Midgley

our message resonates with Blacks everywhere. But if we had made any real effort to take our message to Blacks early on, we would have become a Black Church, and then Europeans would have refused to join a Black Church. I have come to realize that the Lord has his own way of doing things.
Oh my god.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:12 pm
I’m convinced Dowsin’ Dan actually hates the peckerhead.

- Doc
Dr. Cam,

You're probably correct. DCP doesn't have any real friends. He defines "friend" as someone who can help further his goals. He has a long history of dropping his "friends" like a hot potato as soon as they no longer believe or no longer can help him.

It may very well be that Midgley is now viewed by DCP as a liability, for various reasons.

It would be very interesting research paper for Cassisus.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014