Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Lemmie wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:23 pm
Midgley

our message resonates with Blacks everywhere. But if we had made any real effort to take our message to Blacks early on, we would have become a Black Church, and then Europeans would have refused to join a Black Church. I have come to realize that the Lord has his own way of doing things.
Oh my god.
Professor Lemmie,

Oh my god, indeed.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

dup
Last edited by Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

dup

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Glen Danielsen • 4 hours ago • edited

This is a choice article.
It points to the fact that the Revelation on the Priesthood was in fact actually a revelation from God. It follows, I think, that the priesthood ban—awful as it was, was at least allowed by God, perhaps to permit our newly-birthed Church a chance to survive in a racist frontier America....

But the ban itself, loathsome and painful as it was, had purpose—to ensure the survival of our church in the civil war-era nation, when it barely survived as it was. Just my viewpoint.

—-
DanielPeterson Mod Glen Danielsen • 2 hours ago • edited

I've toyed with your suggested explanation myself, and think it may be correct.

http://disq.us/p/2bore9h
Peterson agrees with this racist explanation?!!
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Good lord, I hope Doctor Scratch is taking notes on this for 2020 top 10. I think this might be the #1 worst apologetic ever.

GD's presence there should be interesting. Has Kiwi57 upvoted any of these comments or agreed with them, surely he wouldn't?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

DCP and Midgley getting ready for an Interpreter Board Meeting:

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:43 pm
Dr. Midgley opining on the priesthood and temple ban:
As is now known there were Blacks who joined the Church of Jesus Christ early on. In New Zealand, beginning on Christmas Day in 1882, Maori began to join the Church because they had their own matakite (seers) who prepared them for our missionaries and their message, which fits snugly with the most authentic of ancient Maori lore. And soon the Church of Jesus Christ in New Zealand was primarily Maori. Sixty eight years later, the community of Saints in New Zealand was essentially Maori, and it was difficult to get Pakeha (Europeans) to join what they saw as a Maori Church. Now, of course, the Church is like the United Nations in New Zealand.

I have thought about this for many years. When I was in San Francisco in 1950 waiting to board the SS Sanom, and travel to New Zealand, I had for our five conversations with Blacks while six missionaries were waiting to board that freighter to spend a month traveling to New Zealand. But the other missionaries were not at all happy with my having a conversation with Blacks. I troubled me, but I did not cease doing so, or get into an argument with those five other missionaries. What I discovered then is that out our message resonates with Blacks everywhere. But if we had made any real effort to take our message to Blacks early on, we would have become a Black Church, and then Europeans would have refused to join a Black Church. I have come to realize that the Lord has his own way of doing things.
This is one of the most bizarre explanations I’ve seen.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5060314667
Quite stunning and yet, somehow, also not that surprising. It makes a certain amount of sense that Midgley would admire and pray to a God who is deliberately racist towards Black people in an effort to gain new converts from the ranks of racist white people. And Midgley marvels at the apparent "cleverness" of this!

Sheesh. He ought to understand why something like this--"I discovered then is that out our message resonates with Blacks everywhere"--is problematic. What makes him think that he's got any business speaking on behalf of anyone else? Just think of how incensed he gets when, e.g., Gina Colvin or Rodney Meldrum weighs in on what "Mormons everywhere" think? And yet I think they've got far more of an "insider" status than Midgley does.

In any case, it's interesting to note that, at the same time that this is being posted to "SeN," Dr. Peterson is busy trying to get a host of people banned just for downvoting comments.

ETA: I noticed that Midgley downvoted one of Glen Danielson's comments concerning the priesthood ban.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Here's an exercise in logic for the apologists. Suppose they are right that the "gospel message" resonates with blacks. Now suppose that they are also right that the lord brought the message to whites first, knowing that because they are racists, they wouldn't accept it if too many blacks joined. Wouldn't that later fact also count as part of the overall gospel plan? And so aren't they really saying that the gospel resonates with blacks, including the great truth that blacks were kept from the gospel initially so as not to offend the white racists?

What kind of crack are they smoking over there? Do they know that crack is against the world of wisdom, even f it isn't specifically mentioned in the D&C?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The peckerhead doubles down:

“Louis Midgley > Fred Kratz

Fred Kratz: Exactly what skin pigment meter determines who now qualifies as "Black" in Black Lives Matter protests? Are these protests, some of which have turned into riots with looting and property damage being done by those who are clearly "Blacks" in both Salt Lake and Provo? I have never seen much indication that Fred Kratz views much of anything but through a strange dislike of the faith of Latter-day Saints lens.”

“... turned into riots with looting and property damage being done by those who are clearly "Blacks"...”

The vast majority of rioting in SLC and Provo were done by White people. Why did he accuse “the Blacks” of protest-related rioting in SLC and Provo?

A BYU professor has allowed another BYU professor to post this misinformation.

This is BYU.

- Doc
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Midgley

... turned into riots with looting and property damage being done by those who are clearly "Blacks"...
Peterson left this up?