No more dating for baptism after 1 discussion?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

No more dating for baptism after 1 discussion?

Post by _I have a question »

“It was never our intention to invite people to be baptized before they had learned something about the gospel, felt the Holy Ghost, and had been properly prepared to accept a lifelong commitment to follow Jesus Christ,” apostle M. Russell Ballard, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve, told new mission presidents last month, according to a Church News report. “Our retention rates will dramatically increase when people desire to be baptized because of the spiritual experiences they are having rather than feeling pressured into being baptized by our missionaries.”
Extending a baptism invitation too soon can scare off not only prospective converts, Ballard warned, but also members from sharing with missionaries the names of friends and families who may be interested in learning about the church.
“Missionaries need to be careful not to push people down the path,” the longtime apostle said. “Instead, they should invite them to take the next step on the path.”

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/07 ... rmon-land/

Well that seems like a complete change of tune...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: No more dating for baptism after 1 discussion?

Post by _Craig Paxton »

I call BS. We were taught to commit to baptism on the First Discussion.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Oh I see. Now the church admits that they have been doing it wrong all this time. So many uninspired Mission Presidents and so many over zealous missionaries! And now President NelSatan is here to change the course in which the church has taken for god only knows how long.

:lol:

Stupid damned Mormons!
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Does this “no more dating” thing mean that they’re raising the baptismal age to 16?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_slskipper
_Emeritus

Post by _slskipper »

[quote="Shulem"]Oh I see. Now the church admits that they have been doing it wrong all this time.

No. They did not admit they were wrong. They will never do that. It;s always the underlings' fault.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

slskipper wrote:
Shulem wrote:Oh I see. Now the church admits that they have been doing it wrong all this time.

No. They did not admit they were wrong. They will never do that. It;s always the underlings' fault.

It's true the church never admits any fault or accept responsibility for their errors but the General Authorities are the ones who personally teach and instruct the Mission Presidents on how to conduct their ministries. In turn the Mission Presidents instruct the missionaries. It all rolls down hill from the top.

And now we see the leaders acting all two-faced like they are stepping in to correct the errors of the underlings. How disgusting! Dirty dishonest church leaders. I wouldn't trust one of those bastards any further than I could throw him.

Stupid damned Mormons!
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Ballard (the guy now telling people to slow down) said this back in 1984...

May I suggest a simple way in which each one of us can exercise our faith and start our personal missionary service. Write down a date in the near future on which you will have someone ready to be taught the gospel. Do not worry that you do not have someone already in mind. Let the Lord help you as you pray diligently for guidance. Fast and pray, seeking guidance and direction from our Heavenly Father.

Many, if not all, of you will have special spiritual experiences as the Lord inspires you. I know from my own personal and family missionary experience that the Lord will enlighten your mind. He will sharpen your vision of this work by bringing names of nonmembers to your mind that you have never before regarded as potential members of the Church. As you continue, you will be blessed to know what you should say and how you should approach each person.

Brothers and sisters, you will notice that I did not suggest that you write down a name, but rather that you write down a specific date. The key to our success will be to ask for divine guidance that we might be directed to those who will accept the gospel.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng

Same guy, 2003...
With a prayer in your heart, talk to everyone you can. Don’t prejudge. Don’t withhold the good news from anyone. Talk to everyone, and trust in the promised power of the Spirit to give you the words you should say. Let them make the decision to accept or reject your invitation.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... k?lang=eng

Make your mind up Mr Ballard.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Bad move on Mormon man god and Mormon bastard jebus' part. By allowing the "investigator" time to learn of the Teachings of Mormonism, that allows the investigator to query Almighty Google GOD as to the real meanings in Mormon teachings. Almighty Google GOD has the unfortunate habit of being informative immediately vs Mormon man god and Mormon bastard jebus who seem to take forever to answer a query.

STUPID damned Mormons

ALL HAIL GOOGLE GOD!!!!
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

O'yeah..., "Back in MY day..."

Flannel boards.

Memorized discussions.

None of this major apostacy or all these problems...
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert